Need some advice - please

, What is the consensus about what to do in the U,S. regarding informing the Division of Motor Vehicles, aka the "DMV", or simply "the Registry" of your diagnosis?

I assumed that when I asked my "PC" (Primary Care) physician to fill out a form asking the Registry to issue me a Handicapped Plate that, that was all I was required to do. I didn't see the form, but I wouldn't be surprised if it just asked the doctor to certify that he/she considers the patient "handicapped", and doesn' t ask for a diagnosis. I could be wrong.

When I was in the UK I told the DVLA I have ataxia and deafness when I applied for my first provisional driving license at 20. They asked some questions about both I gave them my GPs address as I have not been treated for my ataxia since I was around 17 they said nothing could be done to improve my balance and co-ordination, I had no issues they gave me a 10 year license I think they may have asked for information from my Dr i'm not sure if anything they were more worried about my deafness than the ataxia. The only thing they said because of the disability they would only issue me a provisional license for an automatic license rather than manual as it was stipulated it was the only way I could drive a car. I had a lot of problems finding a driving school that taught in automatic cars and just for needing to learn in automatic car it bumped up the price of lessons to around the 24 pound mark verses the 16-18 pounds for manual driving lessons. I have moved to the US and am beginning to wish I had more driving lessons as back home I used the public transportation system here you need cars to get anywhere!!!!!! I think in the next year I will have to look at driving lessons so I can start becoming more independent and drive to places rather than wait till FH is off work.

I’ve driven in the US when on holiday, and this was before I had symptoms of Ataxia.
I passed my test on a manual car but have driven an automatic for years.

In the UK we have roundabouts ( which must be confusing for tourists) but in the US
there are crossroads. I once travelled for miles on a freeway after missing a major
turnoff, there was no way of getting off until I reached the next town.

I do like the fact that people mostly keep to a safe speed limit, this is definitely not the
case here in the UK. Motorway driving here can be scary for us residents, never mind
tourists:-) xB

I was feeling just like you and my employer told my Dr I could not drive and my Dr called me and said do not drive at all. I was very cross and upset even tho my insurance would not cover when I went to work.

Long and short I had to sell my car a year ago and am receiving an ill heath pension from them - everyone knew
I had ataxia and I battled in - managers and directors knew so I get help but miss work.