Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Applications for Ataxic Patients

Ataxia is a movement disorder resulting from the incoordination of movements and inadequate postural control, presented in balance and walking disturbances. It has three subcategories, which are sensory, cerebellar and vestibular ataxia

http://cirrie.buffalo.edu/encyclopedia/en/article/112/

Since ataxia is resistant to medical treatments, physical treatment applications are of major importance. Physical therapy applications involve proprioceptive training, balance exercises, stabilization techniques regarding the extremity ataxia and vestibular exercises for accomplishing functional improvement and restoration of the ataxic patient.

A very timely post, I have NO idea why physical therapy hasn't been suggested as an option and I was just about to Google if there were any health providers who could help me regarding balance exercises. Lucy

I use my WII Fit, it helps

I use wii fit too.. Kati Lea recommended it to me and I have been using it for couple of years now.

Kati also recommended passive exercise with electric pedaling machine.. works well but I havent the self discipline to use it much. I feel guilty not making the effort too which is not good. Wii fit is easier for me as I enjoy using it.

Some people are lucky enough to be referred to hospital gym but that is a postcode lottery me thinks. Still working on that and hoping my last visit to neurologist will bring results. I believe my GP has to refer me.

Patsy xx

Attached is a presentation given by John Hopkins Ataxia center by a PT this pass Saturday. A lot of good information and exercises. I have seen her several times. The balance exercises help.

275-Living_with_Ataxia_11222013.pptx (396 KB)

I use the swimming pool for exercise. I love it! The water holds me up and I don't have to worry about falling. It gives me a sense of freedom I can't get anywhere else. I swim a few laps but mostly walk and move around in ways I can't when standing on the ground. When I'm in the pool I'm just like everyone else. No wonder I love it!

I practice Taoist tai chi a couple of times a week. The aim of this practice is to improve health. Balance is a huge component.

It's great to exercise with others. I have made some great friends! There is also a health recovery class for those with more severe mobility issues.

For other forms of exercise, I like to do aquafit in the summer. I completely agree with your views on this Ellie Mae.

I bought a recumbent trike this summer that I just love.

I should be able to start snowshoeing with poles this weekend after this big snowfall. I hope to get an indoor trainer to be able to use my trike indoors this winter.

Susan

Physical therapy has helped me! My insurance only pays for 15 visits each year, so when I'm not going to a pt, I continue to do exercises for strength and balance at home. I've mentioned this before, so those of you that have read it, so sorry...,ha! Anyway, I bought a manual on-line called "The Balance Manual" ($19.99), written by a physical therapist, that has been very helpful. You can do most exercises either standing (holding onto something, if need be) or sitting in a chair. ;o)

My problem is getting from the changing room to the pool and then into the water. But I agree once you're in the water then it's great.

elliemae said:

I use the swimming pool for exercise. I love it! The water holds me up and I don't have to worry about falling. It gives me a sense of freedom I can't get anywhere else. I swim a few laps but mostly walk and move around in ways I can't when standing on the ground. When I'm in the pool I'm just like everyone else. No wonder I love it!