Problems experienced associated with Cerebellar Ataxia

:slightly_smiling_face: A diagnosis of Cerebellar Ataxia means most natural functions are ‘damaged’….this is my personal opinion, and is not found in the following facts.

Generally… most people experience ataxia symptoms slightly differently, some symptoms are very common but…the rate of progression with symptoms is difficult almost impossible to predict. Some people have mild symptoms but others find symptoms are life-changing. This is often the case with genetic types.

The facts…

The cerebellum is a part of the brain that plays a vital role in most physical movement, including eye movements. Problems with the cerebellum can lead to co-ordination difficulties, fatigue, and other challenges.

This part of the brain helps a person drive, throw a ball, or walk across the room.

The brain is a complex organ. It has three main parts; the cerebrum, the brainstem, and the cerebellum.

The cerebrum participates in higher levels of thinking and action. It is the largest part of the brain and covers the front, top, and upper back of the organ. Four lobesTrusted Source make up the cerebrum, each performing a different job.

The frontal lobe: This sits at the front and top of the brain. It is responsible for the highest levels of human thinking and behavior, such as planning, judgment, decision making, impulse control, and attention.

The parietal lobe: This lobe lies behind the frontal lobe. This lobe takes in sensory information and helps an individual understand their position in their environment.

The temporal lobe: A lobe at the lower front of the brain. This lobe has strong links with visual memory, language, and emotion.

The occipital lobe: This is at the back of the brain. The occipital lobe processes visual input from the eyes.

2 Likes

Great info! My most useful information regarding ataxia comes from people living with it. Neurologists may study it for years and cash my checks while offering no information whatsoever. Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

Phill, the Neurologists I’ve seen have been upfront about what can be done. Nothing basically, there is no cure and I should live a normal length life. The trouble with me is after 29 years is I still can’t accept it. So frustrating, so I know how you feel.

1 Like

Just to add that I have lived with debilitating symptoms of idiopathic cerebellar ataxia almost 30 years.
I may have slowed progression with exercises, healthy diet and determination but can’t prove it.
I’ll be 81 in November and still feel peeved about it. Stay safe and don’t forget to smile. Patsy x

1 Like

Ive had Ataxia since I was 21. I’ll turn 78 on my next birthday. If Ive learned anything in all those years, its accept whats happened or youll mentally pay. Im not happy about it but it is what it is. Just do the right stuff!

1 Like