Why does your gait get worse in ataxia?

why will your symptoms get worse with ataxia?

thanks

because the cerebellum is the part of your brain that controls movement\muscle control (including balance). once any part of the brain is damaged, it will not regenerate the lost cells. as most forms of ataxia are progressive, the cerebellum will continue to lose cells, thus causing symptoms to increase. with the proper exercises, some forms of ataxia can be slowed significantly I have had some success via PT in slowing the progression of my ataxia.

best advice I can give is:

Balanced diet!

keep moving!

stay positive!

I am by no means an expert on the subject other then having a basic understanding of my own condition. so I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong :)

thanks for your info. im all new to this

Everyone is different. I have had the gait problem since I was in high school and it has not gotten any worse. (I'm 49 now). A few years ago my speech and writing started to be affected. I have had great success with PT (if you decide to do this make sure they specialize in neuro patients and not orthopedic). I am actually walking better and doing things I couldn't do before (walking and look at someone next to me, looking at sky without holding onto something).

Ataxia is..... incurable, gives you whatever symptoms it wants (even within the same type). and progresses at whatever rate it wants for each symptom.

thanks kay