Routine!

I set up routines for myself to do exercising etc everyday. I need a pep talk from my friends here today.

I did my exercises without my heart being in them but did them just because I know it’s good for my body and brain.

Now I find since I took a Yoga class mentally I am done for the day. Because that is over wIth. Logically know I need to put effort into making myself do something but my feelings are winning over my head today! What do you do to snap out of it? I’m thinking I just need to take a day off and veg,

I won’t let this go on to another day though. Any suggestions for me?

Hi Jeannie-If it’s just once in a while, I don’t think that I’d waste any energy worrying about it; however, if it becomes a pattern, you might want to check with a professional.

I’d personally like to think that you can turn yourself on (that didn’t come out right) or off, but I personally think that an attitude is there no matter what-once you work on getting it to be a habit…so…regarding your slump, I’d just give it that much attention-I don’t think that a slump deserves any additional time or energy.

Thanks Julie, I appreciate that!

Julie A. said:

Hi Jeannie-If it's just once in a while, I don't think that I'd waste any energy worrying about it; however, if it becomes a pattern, you might want to check with a professional.

I'd personally like to think that you can turn yourself on (that didn't come out right) or off, but I personally think that an attitude is there no matter what-once you work on getting it to be a habit...so...regarding your slump, I'd just give it that much attention-I don't think that a slump deserves any additional time or energy.

Can you try different exercise?

If I get bored with Wii fit I'll try and exercise video instead, or try routine using weights, or try different fitness games. the Wii is good for been able to get a variety of different exercise games to play on. Check out ebay for used ones, people maybe selling theirs to get the newer Wii U for xmas etc.

I find it motivates me cos if get bored with one game can change styles like yoga to boxing or stretches. Exerbeat is a good game also includes latin dancing, boxercise, karate, stretches, pilates and nearly all can be done from sat down for wheelchair users. You start off with a few short routines and unlock more which get longer in length as you build up I only paid £10 for mine used off Amazon marketplace and it's one of best exercise games I've ever bought!

If you're not in mood for serious exercise session just play the games on Wii Fit for a bit of fun. They are all testing balance and/or co-ordination.

Hi Jeannie

I do the exercises all day not a set time so everytime I get off a chair or go to the toilet or move around making the dinner I try very hard not to use props.It is much harder but I am trying to use any residual balance instead of taking the easier option.When I need to hurry I use the grab rails and pull myself along.So all in all I make a choice.I try to do my garden in the morning. This involves a lot of heaving up and down andleaning and falling into shrubberies with the rollator flying everywhere.Once I fall over I have to look for something I can crawl to to heave me up.

Then in the pms I have a rest on my scooter with the dog trotting beside.When I come back abbout two hours later I start on the dinner.It takes me hours as the dexterity has gone.Then I collapse all evening doing something quiet like watching TV or reading as I cannot walk or speak at all by then.That is my routine but I do get days when I don't want to do any of it. and make excuses and feel full of self pity and want to give up the fight.The pep talk is that your advice spurs me on .

Keep passing on the info.You are doing a good job.

Yes Kati, I think sometimes when someone's in a funk ideas help out alot! I think your right switching out my routine might help things alot. Amazon here I come! :0) Thanks!

Kati said:

Can you try different exercise?

If I get bored with Wii fit I'll try and exercise video instead, or try routine using weights, or try different fitness games. the Wii is good for been able to get a variety of different exercise games to play on. Check out ebay for used ones, people maybe selling theirs to get the newer Wii U for xmas etc.

I find it motivates me cos if get bored with one game can change styles like yoga to boxing or stretches. Exerbeat is a good game also includes latin dancing, boxercise, karate, stretches, pilates and nearly all can be done from sat down for wheelchair users. You start off with a few short routines and unlock more which get longer in length as you build up I only paid £10 for mine used off Amazon marketplace and it's one of best exercise games I've ever bought!

If you're not in mood for serious exercise session just play the games on Wii Fit for a bit of fun. They are all testing balance and/or co-ordination.

Hi Marie, Thanks for sharing your days with me. I don't use and aids and have really been working on strengthing my legs etc so if I can keep going so I won't have to use any. Yes I find it's really hard work somedays and other's it easier to do, but logically I know that the pay off is worth it (I have to keep talking to myself about that) :0)

I feel like someday's I just work out throught my day here and there and then I fall into bed, because I'm so tired. I don't even remember sleeping or dreaming sometimes and it's time to get up and then start over again. I know having ataxia it just is what it is and I also have to keep telling myself this is my choice to continue. But I have to confess that I really am lazy at heart!Someday's I just don't have that energy to push myself. I'm thankful it not as often as it used to be now that I'm exercising more than I used to but...................... :0)

Marie Turner said:

Hi Jeannie

I do the exercises all day not a set time so everytime I get off a chair or go to the toilet or move around making the dinner I try very hard not to use props.It is much harder but I am trying to use any residual balance instead of taking the easier option.When I need to hurry I use the grab rails and pull myself along.So all in all I make a choice.I try to do my garden in the morning. This involves a lot of heaving up and down andleaning and falling into shrubberies with the rollator flying everywhere.Once I fall over I have to look for something I can crawl to to heave me up.

Then in the pms I have a rest on my scooter with the dog trotting beside.When I come back abbout two hours later I start on the dinner.It takes me hours as the dexterity has gone.Then I collapse all evening doing something quiet like watching TV or reading as I cannot walk or speak at all by then.That is my routine but I do get days when I don't want to do any of it. and make excuses and feel full of self pity and want to give up the fight.The pep talk is that your advice spurs me on .

Keep passing on the info.You are doing a good job.

Hi Jeannie, I am jealous of ALL you do. Ha, ha. Exercising everyday must be really hard. Exercising makes me so so tired. The lazy part of takes over. But I do make sure I keep my body stretched. I do some exercises, But not as many as I should. It almost seems the more I do the worse I get. But that cant be true. I'm noticing my talking is getting really bad. That I will have to work on. But Kati's idea of new things sound about right for you!

Lori

Hi Lori, Thanks, I keep thinking the more I excise that maybe once in for all I can break through the fatiuge but I have to start over new everyday! Its tirering to think I have to keep working so hard just to maintain and harder to get better than I am. Sure Im getting stronger but it seems to take so much longer than I think normal people have to do. Somedays its just disharting! Usually I can just grin & bare it and nuckel down to do it, but I seem to be able to do it for one day then I have to go to sleep, break that cycle and start over again! But I don’t see any easier way to get the results that I want!
I’m wondering if it being darker in the mornings are making a diffrence.
I said I’d only let it last only one day but its been a few now! That makes me mad!
Does anyone know when we turn the clocks back?

Don't we always do it on Saturday night? (turn the clocks back) Your doing a lot more then me, and a lot of people. Don't be so hard on yourself! Your doing everything!

Lori