Rowing machine

What are your thoughts/ experiences on rowing machine alone or interspersed with stationary bike?

:slightly_smiling_face: I haven’t used either myself but…If you like using these for exercise, and they don’t present any problems physically, go ahead :+1:
Both are likely to build up upper and lower body strength :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s my experience that when someone buy an exercise machine for home use that it becomes a clothes hanger after awhile and not used for its purpose.
If someone REALLY wants to exercise they should join a gym where everyone else is exercising. It becomes something that you want to do since everyone else is doing it.

1 Like

In general yes but Not in my house! I thought rowing machine might help me build upper body strength at which I suck…

1 Like

I really liked the show 1090 of The people’s pharmacy podcast.

Show 1090: How Intense Exercise Benefits Parkinson Patients

If you think that you will honestly use this rowing machine regularly then by all means buy it. It is an excellent machine. Only problem I see with it is you need balance to get up and down on the machine. Could be a problem! Do you have any hand weights available to you? Do a Google search for home exercises.
A recumbent bike with a back board might be a better choice.

1 Like

:thinking: You would think that a treadmill was easy and safe to use…no bending required …
But, I was disappointed to find my purchase was soon redundant because the motion triggered Vestibular problems…My focus bobbed up and down …and the vibration/pounding was more than I could bear.

:slightly_smiling_face: I’d used a treadmill previously at a Gym…unfortunately symptoms worsened …

2 Likes

Yeah, I can see that. :thinking:

1 Like

Again thanks again for replying. I really like to bounce ideas here.

I was not clear- I’m not buying anything! We have a rower (since 2010) and a cycle (since 2006, the year my daughter was born). The cycle is mine. I’ve never used the rower but now w I’m thinking it might help build my upper body (shoulder and arms). Yes, and I do have some weights, kettlebells and a 15 lb ball.…and I do not lack motivation to use them.

But I’ll always look for pointers from you guys!!

1 Like

Damn progressive disease!

1 Like

I believe you said somewhere that your age is 70. If I’m wrong, I apologize in advance.

I’m answering this way. As you get older, the tendons in your shoulder’s rotator cuff become thinner. If you try to lift something too heavy or out-of-shape, you may damage your rotator cuff and you DON’T want that. Believe me, I’m talking from personal experience. Recommendation, start light and every two weeks or so move up a pound until you reach the desired weight.

Good luck with the rower BUT please be careful. :grinning:

1 Like

I’m 52; I’ll try to be v careful as not to injure myself; that’s the worst!

I might’ve typed 7 instead of 5 due to lack of coordination in my fingers.

Thanks again.

1 Like

I have a recumbent exercise bike with a supportive back which I need. I find it useful and at least I am moving, as I I can’t stand for long. It records speed, distance and heart beat. I also attend a weekly Aqua Areobics group… I need rollator to reach pool - but once I am in the water I can exercise as well as other members :sweat_smile:its great!

3 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: You’re doing great Issy…this is bound to stand you in good stead.

1 Like

I have a rowing machine at home that I use every Monday-Friday for 30 minutes. It’s a great for Ataxians as it raises cardiovascular health, which is very important because by nature we tend to be very sedentary. My neurologist thinks this is excellent and wishes more patients would try to improve this aspect.

2 Likes

The rowing machine will provide a better overall workout and will be particularly beneficial in building upper body strength. Both are good however.

I exercise regularly and my progression is very slow however I don’t know if this has slowed it. Certainly strength will help prevent falls.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for responding. Yes, as for aerobic exercise, it is must for ataxians, be it rowing machine or a bike or a treadmill.

As for the rate of progression of ataxia, it’s a relative term- I’ve no idea as to where I stand.

But really, thanks for responding! It is nice not to feel alone!