Tight jaw?

Does anyone have this? it gets worse as the day goes on, kind of like cramps in my jaw. It's so uncomfortable. Is this dystonia? How can I get rid of this pain?

Yes we all have this.And many more then you can poke a stick at..I take a slow release Tramadol>>>that does the trick..Also you can get an anesthetic gum gel which you massage around your gums>>> that's wonderful relief :-)

Dystonia? See a Neuro for that answer!

Take care..Ozzy

Why do you think we get this? It's so confusing. Last night it was horribly tight and today when I woke up it was better. It always gets worse as the day goes on... and when I do things like eat and talk it aggravates it.

Ozzy said:

Yes we all have this.And many more then you can poke a stick at..I take a slow release Tramadol>>>that does the trick..Also you can get an anesthetic gum gel which you massage around your gums>>> that's wonderful relief :-)

Dystonia? See a Neuro for that answer!

Take care..Ozzy

I get this and like you it gets worse as the day goes on, so by the time I go to bed I’m in agony. My cheekbones really hurt too and the hinge on the right side hurts every time I open my mouth. It prevents me from getting to sleep on most nights

My husband has suffered from jaw cramping for over 20 years. In recent years leg and hand cramps began. Now we wonder if these were all early signs of his disease. He finds that stress makes his jaw worse, and his jobs involves talking all day which doesn't help. The leg cramps went away when he added magnesium and calcium to his vitamin regime...

I get jaw clenching as well, the word for it is bruxism. I don’t get bruxism every day anymore because of a tehcnique I used to help. It also never hurts, it is aggravating though and I have had bruxism for at least 5-6 years, well before my ataxia symptoms started. The technique to help bruxism is to place your tongue against the back of your top teeth so that your top and bottom teeth are seperated by your tongue and try to always keep it there. It trains your jaw not to clench down.

Also avoid chewing-gum,licorice,toffee and wine-gums! They can only exacerbate the problem..Well,I'm certainly a lot better since I stopped 'piggin-out' on the 'munchies'..LOL