Travel?

My husband and I are planning a road trip through Utah's National parks (Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands) in 2015. Any input?

I don't know what information you require but I travel to Florida regularly and have completed a few road trips on the East coast. Firstly, I find my assistance card from Ataxia UK is handy for clearing customs as jetlag and Ataxia are a bad combination I always get stopped for being drunk! If your Ataxia is worse with lack of sleep do not book a budget motel like a Travel Lodge they tend to be noisy and not adapted for people who might have trouble getting into baths etc. Also try to order your dollars before september as currency markets may be up in the air if Scotland become independent. If you have been to the states before you will be aware that driving is so easy over there, however do flash your headlights at other vehicles as this is a insult to other drivers, the majority of gas stations require you to pay first before filling up. Not quite sure what you wanted to know but I hope this helps

Sarah

We are in the uk and hope to do a lot of travelling this year with a legacy. have dog too so will restrict ourselves to Europe.

Any info about travel will be useful.

I travel alot, If you fly, make sure you get the aisle seat on the plane. If you dont want to use a wheelchair, ask your travel agent for a buggy,some airport(s have them--like a golf cart.. Dont travel when its likely to be super-busy. Ataxia and crowds-- not a great mix/ I have no card. Maybe this is all obvious...

i get very tired with any type of travel so take it slow and rest in between don't rush

Earplugs and/or music/headphones with your favorite and/or calming mpegs might help.

If you don’t already have one get a special access pass from National Park Service. Mine was free and it gives you free access to national parks and access to disabled parking. Also bring along your Oregon disabled parking tag. It should work in Utah too and is handy when traveling.

I travel ALOT

around the UK and worldwide (just returned from the National Ataxia Foundation conference in Las Vegas)

Do LOTS of web searching and planning before you go

Stay positive and dont be afraid to ask for assistance plus ENJOY

Alan

GO!!!!!!!

Have a wonderful vacation, I have never been to Utah.

Hi Sarah millard, I live in Australia and don't know what an assistance card is.. What does it say and maybe I can get my doctor to write something similar. I am also travelling a lot this year. Cheers Sally

I live in the U.S. Took a road trip last Fall. Many motels would claim handicap access but that turned out the access was you could get in the door. I use a wheelchair. We bought a shower bench since some did not have them. Handicap rooms are limited so do plan ahead. A motel/Inn trying to place a wheelchair dependent person on a second or third floor did not go over well with me. In an emergency an elevator is shutdown how the heck would I get out?

Stopping early for the day I found helped. I no longer can drive so this was also good for my partner.

Have fun!! Go for it!!

These parks are busy during summer! Try to travel in May or sept when kids are back in school. You will find handicap friendly trails plus the scenery from the vehicle is pretty awesome! Enjoy your travels. Heed that good advice about booking motels here.

A handicap parking permit I suppose is is what is meant by an assistance card.

wobbles said:

Hi Sarah millard, I live in Australia and don't know what an assistance card is.. What does it say and maybe I can get my doctor to write something similar. I am also travelling a lot this year. Cheers Sally

An assistance card is credit card sized explaining what ataxia is and how we can be mistaken for being drunk I got mine from ataxia UK but contact ataxia international they might be able to signpost you to the right place. https://www.ataxia.org/links/ataxia-international.aspx mins saves me a lot of explaining.