Traveling with SCA

I’m new here and my SCA affects my balance and upward mobility. My husband wants to go to Tuscany next year and all I see in the pictures is stairs. Anyone have anything to help?

It’s funny that you mention that because stairs draw my eye immediately in travel pictures and architecture now.

I came across something awhile back online that marketed accessible travel tours. I think that it was in Rome, though. If I saved it, I’ll post it.

Either way, it’s probably worth googling “accessible Tuscany”.

I found the link:

http://www.usatechguide.org/articledisplay.php?artid=22&link=acc_travel

Also, you can find more information right on this site by searching “travel”, for example, in the search box next to the sign in area above.

I'm glad this discussion has come up. I never thought of "googling" accessible tours! Four years ago, my growing imbalance led me to forego several opportunities on our Rhine River Cruise.My reluctance to climb stairs to see the interior of a castle and to check out a winery at Heidleberg University was a wakeup call that I could not longer enjoy what everyone else was enjoying.(and what I was paying for).

Even now with my new "Rollator", I am unsure about traveling. I would need a travel companion now, knowing she would have to most likely assist me frequently. Since my husband has passed and my ataxia has progressed, everything has changed.

So thanks for bringing up the discussion. Maybe there are some ideas out there. I'd be interested in hearing about them too!

Hi, What a great adventure awaits you.....

My husband has ataxia and this condition has limited our travel plans for the past few years. Jamie had trouble walking up hills andstairs and he especially had difficulty coming down stairs.

Last year I read an article about a man, Tom Clouse, who has ataxia and taught himself to dance. Well I was interested in finding out more so googled his website, Walking with Ataxia. Then through contact from that website he spent 2 weeks training or retraining Jamie to walk, play basketball, swing a golf club and yes walking up and down stairs and hills. I know it all sounds unbelievable but every word it true. Perhaps you could see if he could work with you as that is what he does now, work with folks who have ataxia. Then maybe you will be able to take that fantastic trip with your husband.

PS - we are going to the Grand Canyon this summer.

I would be happy to talk with you any time. Hope this helps.

Stephanie said:

Hi, What a great adventure awaits you.....

My husband has ataxia and this condition has limited our travel plans for the past few years. Jamie had trouble walking up hills andstairs and he especially had difficulty coming down stairs.

Last year I read an article about a man, Tom Clouse, who has ataxia and taught himself to dance. Well I was interested in finding out more so googled his website, Walking with Ataxia. Then through contact from that website he spent 2 weeks training or retraining Jamie to walk, play basketball, swing a golf club and yes walking up and down stairs and hills. I know it all sounds unbelievable but every word it true. Perhaps you could see if he could work with you as that is what he does now, work with folks who have ataxia. Then maybe you will be able to take that fantastic trip with your husband.

PS - we are going to the Grand Canyon this summer.

I would be happy to talk with you any time. Hope this helps.

mas here,

if u can travel. DO IT NOW. ataxia is progressive. my stars are flashing red; only i understand.

Thank you 3cats for the topic and thank you glitter on butterflies for the link. It is awesome how we suppiort one another. Now if we can get the outside world to support us, well that's another topic for another day and time.

I used walking sticks and the arm of someone to hang on to. When traveling alone I allow extra time to find elevators. That way I can avoid escalators. I went to India twice last year with help from a friend. I did not do many stairs, unless their were handrails.

I pre board on flights too as I need the extra time. I get asked questions by the flight attendants at the desk but they just let me on. I have someone put up my bag for me in the overhead storage and ask for help if I need it. This is new for me as I was always self reliant. But people always appear at the exact moment that I need help so now I am a more confident traveler. I just trust that the right person will be there to help me. So far that has worked!

ditto

I investigate my destination / hotel, thoroughly plus looking at photos (TIP look at travellers own pics. - Travel companies photos maybe "altered / enhanced" also the angle the photo is shot can make it "advantageous", to them)

like you say steps and slopes are a big concern to wheelchair users or the mobility impaired, this process can be very usefull for many other travel adventures

WTM CEO Round Table on Inspiring the Future of Responsible & Accessible Travel Search sponsored by Amadeus - White Paper - See more at: http://www.wtmlondon.com/library/WTM-CEO-Round-Table-on-Inspiring-the-Future-of-Responsible-and-Accessible-Travel-Search-sponsored-by-Amadeus-White-Paper#sthash.TS88a2A1.dpuf

Video to accompany White Paper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPlx5eudz9U

Accessible Italy http://www.accessibleitaly.com/

I've traveled with my cane and husband, most recently to Italy. I loved Italy, although we did a lot of walking in the larger cities, like Rome and Florence. We rented a car a drove from one end to the other, staying a night or two in different towns/cities. My husband and step-daughter are huge downhill skiers (I used to be too, but obviously, not anymore). Therefore, we drove to a ski area by the Mattahorn (border of Italy and Switzerland), as they wanted to ski into Switzerland. If they wanted to do something I couldn't/didn't want to do, I'd stay back in a cozy restaurant, have a cup of tea and read. When they went skiing, I stayed at the lodge by the fireplace, with a hot cup of cocoa and a good book...,it was a bit of heaven! I also navigated to the cable car and rode into Switzerland and then back again. I have never heard of those "accessible" sites...,good to know! ;o)

I recently came across a website that maybe of some interest to you http://www.wheelchairtraveling.com it has some great advice, tips and even videos for wheelchair travel.

Browse

The European Αccessible Tourism Directory http://pantou.org/

Thanks to all of you that have responded. It's wonderful to know you're all here to help. Got some good ideas and I'll let you know what happens.

I am a widow. When Charlie was alive, I could lean on him for support. Now that I am alone I too have turned down offers to travel. We used to cruise 2x yearly, and I miss it. I don’t want to burden friends so I just don’t go. This is a terrific topic.

Give people the gift of being able to help you. It will make them feel good!

Well said, Debora! ;o)