Treatment Could Be Close

http://portlandoregonian.or.newsmemory.com/publink.php?shareid=232d87043

2 Likes

Has this got anything to do with Ataxia?

I honestly don’t think it does. There are similarities between Parkinson’s and the various forms of Ataxia, but the root causes are quite different.

That’s what I thought John

In 2016 AtaxiaUK ran a powerful poster campaign. It featured this wording.

‘Ataxia. It’s like Multiple Sclerosis ganged up on Parkinson’s and played a dirty trick on Cerebral Palsy’

Ataxia does everything the famous diseases do. It attacks the brain to mess up balance, co-ordination and speech.

Surely any discovery brings hope. The root causes may be different but whose to say there won’t be a beneficial knock on effect for Ataxia symptoms :thinking: xB

2 Likes

My Dr. gave me a prescription for Parkinson. I’m confused?

What is the name of your medication? There are medications which can be used for multiple diseases even though they are known for one illness.

Shoaib

June 26

What is the name of your medication? There are medications which can be used for multiple diseases even though they are known for one illness.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Thom5378

June 26

My Dr. gave me a prescription for Parkinson. I’m confused?

Stegamet? or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Some medications are often prescribed that primarily treat other conditions or their symptoms. I have MSA for example, Levodopa (typically used to treat symptoms in Parkinson’s patients) was prescribed to me as an umbrella medication in hopes that it would alleviate some of my muscle stiffness and rigidity. Often times these medications assist in the diagnosis of certain conditions depending on individual response. In my case Levodopa was prescribed and my body did not show any response. So it was concluded further that I had MSA vs. Parkinson’s due to the lack of response.
It is my understanding that many conditions, ataxia or others may share the same symptoms. Treating these symptoms can be challenging since they present with many similarities. Medications to treat one ailment may overlap or be repurposed to treat another. Many trials and experiments have led to the discovery of treatment for other unintended targeted diseases.
So even though Parkinson’s disease is not directly related to ataxia, it often shares similar symptoms that may be treated with the same medications. In that, developments in treatments for Parkinson’s could result in chance discoveries in other conditions or diseases like some forms of ataxia, MSA or other neurological conditions.
I like to keep my eyes and ears open to other conditions or disease news in hopes that a treatment or cure will be discovered for something else (namely my condition). Heres hoping!

3 Likes

We can only hope. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

My doctor tried me on common medication used for Parkinson’s Disease (I’m sorry, but I don’t remember the name of the medication) and it did nothing for me (I have ataxia due to Niemann Pick C Disease-adult on-set).
My best to all…, ;o)