Trouble getting up from the sofa

This is a new problem for me, I am having difficulty getting up from the sofa. Anyone have any suggestions or know of products that would help?

my husband put wooden things on the bottom to raise the sofa on the advice of the Neurophysio.

I didn't think I needed them but now I notice a huge difference.The same applies to the bed and toilet seat.

I find with my Ataxia I can't get off things.The shorter the distance the better. It means I can be independent for that much longer but I still need a walker or a hand to heave me up.

Yes, raise couch on wooden blocks...make sure it is against wall so it doesn't move. You can buy a toilet that sits higher...I have one. When getting up from any seat, scoot butt to the edge. Lean forward with hands on knees. Lean until butt lifts automatically. Straighten out...

I had home assessment and they fitted grab rails, toilet surround, handle under mattree etc. I rock myself up from the sofa and think of it axs exercise but... sometimes I need help.

I always have to remind my husband to grab my elbow and not my wrists!

I usually fall towards the table when I stand which helps me to straighten up.

Patsy

This might not help, but I'm getting a service dog. He will be trained to help me up among other things. That's all I've got.

When I was able to get a new lounge chair I purchased LaZBoy. Because I could order a 4" raise to the base and it makes a big difference. Also, make sure you slide to the edge of whatever you are getting up from. Get your heals back as far as possible and at least shoulder width apart. Now comes the hard part (at least for me) -the weight shift from pushing up with my arms and the transition to pushing up with your legs timing is everything! Good Luck!

One of the hardest parts of dealing with Cerabellar Ataxia is the conversion of “automatic” motions to “manual”. I hope you can still drive - I am relearning that too!

Hi, I think it is a great idea to have a service dog! Do you qualify because of ataxia? How did you go about applying?

One of my earlier symptoms was increasing difficulty getting up from low positions. I used to love getting down on the ground to get good photos, but I can’t do it at all anymore. I use a walking stick inside the house. And it really helps me get the leverage I need to stand up from a sitting position. Really good, practical advice here! Good luck to you.
Lorinn

Everyone's suggestions are really good! About all I can add is, I have a reclining chair with arm rests that I sit in. When I get up (I'm not reclined), I use the arm rests to push myself up into a standing position. I wait for a moment until I feel steady before I move. I never sit anywhere unless there are two arm rests that are easily accessible. Works for me! Also, using a cane or rollator may help...,;o)

Hands and arms to push off and stand.. That's what I do, from the sofa's edge of course. N

I just wondered how are you relearning to drive as I still drive but am becoming more anxious when I do and am going somewhere new?

Debus said:

When I was able to get a new lounge chair I purchased LaZBoy. Because I could order a 4" raise to the base and it makes a big difference. Also, make sure you slide to the edge of whatever you are getting up from. Get your heals back as far as possible and at least shoulder width apart. Now comes the hard part (at least for me) -the weight shift from pushing up with my arms and the transition to pushing up with your legs timing is everything! Good Luck!

One of the hardest parts of dealing with Cerabellar Ataxia is the conversion of “automatic” motions to “manual”. I hope you can still drive - I am relearning that too!

We have 2 sofas in our lounge. Originally both had squashy feather seat and back cushions but I had to change one of them

to foam for firmer support. I have difficulty getting up from low seating, my legs lock and I lose balance.

I keep trying to remember to ask my husband to put blocks of wood under the top legs of my bed, I've read it can be helpful.

My husband snores, loudly, so has his own room! If I can't have anything else, I want sleep.

*IF THIS TEXT IS DISJOINTED, I DON'T KNOW WHY IT HAPPENS! Grr!!

Yes, quit sitting on the sofa or other soft sinking furniture. Your knees should never be higher than your hips. Switch to a firmer chair or sofa or sit in a wheelchair if you have no other options.
Also be mindful of how long you are sitting. It takes the cerebellum a while to adjust from sitting to standing and then to walking. Take your time. If you are watching tv or reading move your legs, do foot and leg exercises or walk around during the commercials. The name of the game is, Adapt.

Hi Puppyteeth,

What kind of service dog did you get and how was it paid for?

puppyteeth said:

This might not help, but I'm getting a service dog. He will be trained to help me up among other things. That's all I've got.

Service dogs are free. They will be trained to your specific needs. For instance, the dog can be trained to assist you when walking, they can be trained to recognize a seizure before it happens to give you time to do whatever you need to do, they can be trained to pull your manual wheelchair with signals from you, hand signals or words or clicking sounds, etc. they have found that the dogs can identify cancer before there are any symptoms.they act like any other dog when they do not have their “working harness” on, when they have it on they know they are “working”. They can be any breed you prefer. That was a revelation to me. There are some very large dogs that are as strong as humans but they never get angry, impatient or perturbed. They don’t get distracted and are loyal, exhibit unconditional love and will incorporate new tasks as you need them. They don’t vacuume, dust, do laundry or help you with your bath or shower.

It's a little pricey but I was just looking at the weekly Walgreens ad. They are offering a Mega Motion 3 Position Lift Chair for $499. Looks like it would make it easy to get up and down. Anybody have experience with these?

Hi Jodie!

Your query reminded me of something I saw on (UK) TV yesterday. Someone had bought a recliner, much as you describe, from a big name furniture retailer here. It developed faults and he obviously complained.

One of the sticking points in resolving the situation was the retailer saying the chair could only take up to a certain weight!! The programme also pointed out that it was worthwhile telling the retailer that the chair was being bought because of mobility problems. That helped cover you in case of future problems, the retailer should advise you if they thought the chair wouldn't give enough support etc.

It's a minefield really, and as you say $499 is enough to pay for one chair. I've often fancied one myself, they look so comfortable and ease the effort of hauling yourself up.

Jodie said:

It's a little pricey but I was just looking at the weekly Walgreens ad. They are offering a Mega Motion 3 Position Lift Chair for $499. Looks like it would make it easy to get up and down. Anybody have experience with these?

I ordered my Lay Z Boy with a 4" height increasing base - big improvement!!

I have an old rocking chair witha seat with springs in it just like your sofa. However I can rock forward when I want to get up. Also sinking into furniture and leaning back, which curves your back, isn’t good. I have a problem with aspiration and although it started out as food, it has now progresses to water and saliva. It never happens when I sit in a straight back chair, such as this rocker

The rocking chair is old and we got it a yard sale for five dollars, but had to refinsk the wood and reapholster the seat. My dictation program either can’t understand me or can’t spell!

It sounds like you got a bargain Rae!

I have a hankering for a nice comfy chair on casters,to use at the kitchen table with my laptop. I have choking incidents, involuntary swallowing of saliva or food cause mine. I don't have spell-check facility because I don't have Microsoft Word, but I can't use this as an excuse for my constantly 'wandering fingers' over the keyboard, that drives me mad!