Walking with a limp-need some ideas

I am newly diagnosed with cerebellar ataxia. It is affecting my left side. For the last several weeks, I am walking with a limp on the left side. I put my purse on my right shoulder and that helps balance me some. When I lose my balance I tend to fall to the left. My left leg and left arm are weak. My left foot is turning out to the left when walking and I don’t know what to do about it. Therapist I had is not much help. I am going to a new one next week. I was thinking if there was some kind of Velcro wrap thing that makes my foot go straight that that might help but I don’t know what to do. Any ideas on how to help this issue would be appreciated.

You need a PT who will work with you to strengthen your core and give you other balance related exercises to do. Also, maybe you should look into a Balance Wear Vest from Motiontherapeutics.com

Good luck, and keep moving!

Kathy

If you are not using a cane, start using one. I fought the cane for some time but have found it to be quite useful. And not just for maintaining balance.

I was always met with strange looks and comments that suggested I had been drinking to much before the cane. Now, folks get the disability angle quicker because they see my cane.

I been thinking about it. Does it help you with your balance? People are looking at me weird too. There are so many different types of canes. Which ones have you tried?

Willis Whitlock said:

If you are not using a cane, start using one. I fought the cane for some time but have found it to be quite useful. And not just for maintaining balance.

I was always met with strange looks and comments that suggested I had been drinking to much before the cane. Now, folks get the disability angle quicker because they see my cane.

OH my goodness.........I checked out the website and found there is a place in Texas where I live. I am printing out info and want to get one of these. I have seen the videos of before and after with patients on the website and I am determined to try this. I am so excited that you shared this motiontherapeutics.com with me. Thank You. Thank You.

Kathy G said:

You need a PT who will work with you to strengthen your core and give you other balance related exercises to do. Also, maybe you should look into a Balance Wear Vest from Motiontherapeutics.com

Kathy

Weighted vest..........OH my goodness.........I checked out the website and found there is a place in Texas where I live. I am printing out info and want to get one of these. I have seen the videos of before and after with patients on the website and I am determined to try this. I am so excited that you shared this motiontherapeutics.com with me. Thank You. Thank You.

OH my goodness.........I checked out the website that Kathy G mentioned above!! I found there is a place in Texas where I live. I am printing out info and want to get one of these. I have seen the videos of before and after with patients on the website and I am determined to try this. I am so excited that she shared this motiontherapeutics.com with me. Have you seen this website and info on vest? It's just amazing.

John "JC" Colyer said:

I use quad cane, more stability, see pic below:

PG said:

I been thinking about it. Does it help you with your balance? People are looking at me weird too. There are so many different types of canes. Which ones have you tried?

Willis Whitlock said:

I am so excited about this weighted vest. I have been looking at before and after videos for patients on the site and I am more determined to try this. I found out there is a location in Round Rock, TX. Don't know where that is but am determined to find it. THANK YOU SO MUCH. I had been putting a heavy purse on my right shoulder to try to balance me out but just couldn't get just right. This vest is amazing. I had joked with my therapist and told her I was thinking about putting rocks in my right pocket to keep me balanced!!! Now I will not have to do that!!

Kathy G said:

Kathy

Have you seen this? Balance Wear Vest from Motiontherapeutics.com. Kathy G told me about it on here and I have checked it out. I'm going to try to get one of these. Check out the before and after videos on patients on the site. This is a great idea. I had been putting a heavy purse on my right shoulder to try to balance me out. This looks like a great item to check out.

Willis Whitlock said:

yes the balance vest is good, and has gained alot of interest.

see my pics. for some photos of Ataxians trying the vest at NAF 2013 Detriot

I think Cindy will be at NAF 2014 Las Vegas, demonstating the Balance vest

google michelle Diciantis who has some videos of her using the vest

I hope to see you in Las Vegas

Alan

Don't have any money to go any where. Saving up for a vest. Have fun.

Alan Thomas said:

yes the balance vest is good, and has gained alot of interest.

see my pics. for some photos of Ataxians trying the vest at NAF 2013 Detriot

I think Cindy will be at NAF 2014 Las Vegas, demonstating the Balance vest

google michelle Diciantis who has some videos of her using the vest

I hope to see you in Las Vegas

Alan

I tried the vest. Unfortunately didn’t help. My balance is too bad

I have a BalanceWear vest, as I won one at the silent auction held at the National Ataxia Foundation (NAF) conference in March 2012 in Detroit, Michigan (I live in Michigan). I did have to pay an amount for it, as I bid on one. I just didn't pay as much as they normally cost. Cindy Gibson-Horn (who lives and works in San Francisco), the physical therapist inventor of the vest, was a speaker at the conference. I got a free assessment with her also. Then she ordered my vest and it was sent to me in the mail. I had to go see a physical therapist, trained in BalanceWear, to have the weights properly placed, although placement had been previously determined by Cindy. The vest is light-weight black material, adjustable, and zips up the front. The weight are velcroed inside were you need them. In total I inly have 2 1/4 LBS of weight inside. Anyway, my balance is really compromised and the vest has been a great help to me! I also write/print better when wearing it...,who knew? Hope it works for you PG. In the mean-time, the new pt you see next week hopefully will have some advice for you. I agree with what others have said. Strengthening your core, leg and arm muscles will help you have more control! My best to you..., ;o)

Mine is not severe yet so I am hoping it might help if I can get money to try.
ladybug said:

I tried the vest. Unfortunately didn't help. My balance is too bad

I had two walking poles for years.The quad cane is more stable than three legs as JC says,then I had a four wheel rollator for several years.I now use a road scooter and love it.I have had CA for 6 years but some of the Ataxias are slow.Lots of years to look forward to using various aids.Get one for your needs now and be prepared to change the aids as you need them.Go slowly.

Great advice, Marie! ;o)