Walking

does anyone find it painful trying to walk? I am getting neck,leg,knee stiffness really bad. I am also getting giggling and sharp pain in my back and knee. Any suggestions?

Hello there Carlous

Yes..I also have pain walking. But I broke my left hip because of a fall in 2010, so now my hip hurts when walking and because of trying to avoid this pain I started to use my left leg wrong altogether I guess and now the left knee is also painful. Didn't feel a thing though before the fracture..but it's been 5 years ago. So who knows if pain would have made its entrance anyway. Sitting down I feel no pain at all. Not of much help here huh. Take care..hugs from Holland, Elle.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqw6fwAx2Dk

Www.walkingwithataxia.com only legitimate help for walking and living with ataxia from a practical physical therapy aspect

Dear Carlous,
I have pain in my knees when going up steps; feels like my legs and knees are made of cement.
Feel stiffness when sitting too long. My walk is also stiff and has a gait. Exercise and PT are the only things that work for me. Speech therapy has also been suggested by my Neurologist.
Thr livingwithataxia.org forum has made a huge difference in my life; knowing I’m not alone.
Hope this helped!

Hello Jonas

Thanks a bunch for your input. I still always do your: don't bend over but 'stoop' thing. IT works!!:):)

Jonas Cepkauskas said:

Hi Carlous, Check out Dr Tom Clouse's website. Www.walkingwithataxia.com . I got a chance to work with him also and he made suggestions that sure have helped me allot! After your in his website under the R.V. you can look at his schedule to see if he will be coming close to you. If he isn't scheduled to contact him and ask him questions about what you going through and if he can schedule something to come by you? Why not?

There is allot of great information on his site. Like when walking concentrate on lifting your knees instead of you feet and point your knees in the direction you want your body to follow.

Dr Tom Clouse also has ataxia, so he understands more than other Dr's I think! I know you can find something that will work for you there. Try out a bunch of thoughts!

I just stop and message the leg or the back if i can reach, sometimes you may have to stop and take a break if it gets real bad. I try to use a pain cream on the area.

Carlous,

I, too, have pain in my legs. Some days are worse than others, and some days are hardly noticeable. When I do have trouble, it is as if my legs are not going to support my weight, and walking hurts. And, today is one of those days where I have stiffness. My neuro tested for MS, but the results were negative. It all comes down to a specific day as to what and how I feel. Tomorrow may be a good day. I wish for you that yours days are more positive.

I don`t get any pain in my legs, but by last Christmas, I thought with the way it`s going, I`ll lose the use of my legs within about a month, they felt like they were about to collapse, so I figured that if I could build up my leg strength, I might just keep my mobility, even if I was just postponing what`s possibly inevitable. Since then, balance has deteriorated, but the weight training seems to have worked, so I`m keeping it up. That`s helped me anyway, but I can imagine that`ll be more difficult if your legs are actually in pain. I guess everyone`s different, we all have to discover what`s best for our selves. I hope you find some way round it, or through it.

Jeannie Ball said:

Hi Carlous, Check out Dr Tom Clouse's website. Www.walkingwithataxia.com . I got a chance to work with him also and he made suggestions that sure have helped me allot! After your in his website under the R.V. you can look at his schedule to see if he will be coming close to you. If he isn't scheduled to contact him and ask him questions about what you going through and if he can schedule something to come by you? Why not?

There is allot of great information on his site. Like when walking concentrate on lifting your knees instead of you feet and point your knees in the direction you want your body to follow.

Dr Tom Clouse also has ataxia, so he understands more than other Dr's I think! I know you can find something that will work for you there. Try out a bunch of thoughts!

bloodaxe said:

I tried the website you mentioned, as walking is difficult, but it just keeps coming up with "server not found" Is there a mistake, or is it just my computer being a pain in the ear`ole?

Jeannie Ball said:

I get the same message; server not found for www.walkingwithataxia.com

bloodaxe said:

bloodaxe said:

I tried the website you mentioned, as walking is difficult, but it just keeps coming up with "server not found" Is there a mistake, or is it just my computer being a pain in the ear`ole?

Jeannie Ball said:

Just ONE more tip for you all. Walking here HURTS, but when I need to go to the toilet I ALWAYS take the one upstairs. Just to strenghten the muscles in my legs. I have to hold on to the banister going up and down and I take the pain of that moment as it comes. See it as an exercise. So not the short cut to the downstairs toilet but the effort/exercise to the one upstairs. Kinda keeps my leg muscles in shape. So try it:)