Weight and Ataxia

I put on about 30 lbs, after a combination of having to pull my son out of school before he
was diagnosed with ADHD and put on meds and then after he was home again with the Covid restrictions, my gym was closed, and even the parks and trails here were closed.

After 6 months of trying on my own, I am up to getting 8-10,000 steps on most days and going back to a gluten free diet, but I have only lost 5 lbs. I already take 20 mg of adderall each morning in order to get up and move around enough to do chores and errands.

My doctors are adding:
-Topamax, up to 50 mg twice a day
-Phentermine, havent picked up the rx yet
-Estraven (over the counter peri-menopause vitamins)

I don’t know what else I can do with exercise. I may try to shoot for 10-15,000 steps now. I also thought maybe I would try to seriously trh to learn something new like to relearn a traditional bike or learn to swim.

I feel like this is nuts. I hope the medications will just kick start things back to normal and then I can stop them and be at a regular weight again. Maybe have to be more active and keep a sharper eye on my diet in the future.

:slightly_smiling_face: Wow
8-10,000 steps per day, that’s just a pipe dream for me. A year ago I managed around 4,000 on a walk but even that wouldn’t be achievable now.
It’s obvious that ‘if you don’t use it you lose it’ 

My activity level was reasonable until I had a year of enforced rest after surgery, that was definitely the turning point.
I watch what I eat, but due to inactivity weight has vastly increased, although some people say they have a problem putting on weight :hushed:
I don’t go to a gym, but as the weather improves I hope to get outdoors more, and get some more steps in :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes! It’s incredibly frustrating to be “hitting the goal” and have it still not be enough.

And last week on one of these good days I took a single step in my son’s room at the end of the day, hit my foot against his shoe laying around and broke my toe.

The dr is taking his time filling the phentermine. I will report back when I can finally try it.

:woman_facepalming: Isn’t that wonderful, a broken toe
Yes, let us know how you get on with appetite suppressant :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I doubt it may make you feel any better but I have put on 20 pounds in less than 10 months. Mostly I suspect from inactivity (personal mobility is now a major issue for me) but the covid restrictions didn’t help (albeit they were a good rationalization). Of course inactivity leads to snacking

Meh, I don’t worry about it
 there are far worse things.

1 Like

I might as well reply now. It is 2:43 in the morning and I believe I have finished reading the Internet. :expressionless:

I’ve lost about 3 lbs in just the past few days. I have been disinterested in eating, thirsty for plain water all the time, and motivated to walk around and get things done.

I have had trouble sleeping for two nights, so my ataxia is worse. I am still active, but much slower. The sleeplessness is supposed to be temporary. No heart palpitations or 'roid rages.

I will not take Adderall tomorrow and take the Phentermine earlier to see if that helps. It is always an option for me to skip Adderall, thank goodness.

:thinking: You appear to be suffering from side effects of Adderall, it could just take a while for these to settle down
Or, speak to your doctor to consider an alternative.

Adderall side effects
Loss of appetite, weight loss, dry mouth, stomach upset/pain, nausea/vomiting, dizziness, headache, diarrhea, fever, nervousness, and trouble sleeping may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor promptly.
https://www.webmd.com â€ș details

1 Like

After about a month in I have been to the doctor who prescribed the Phentermine for a checkup. I have lost 9 lbs and the side effects have subsided to a point where they are temporarily livable. I should lose about 15 more lbs. I am getting an amazing 6000-ish steps on a “bad day” and up to 16000 on a “good day”. I fired my landscaper and am mowing my lawn, hauling landscaping rock and mulch around the property, and I made a paver walk for my trash and recycle bins. I am taking my son swimming at the gym for up to an hour about twice a week as well. I’ve also become a bit too involved in the lives of the birds who live in my yard.

But the doctor took me down to phentermine every other day now because my blood pressure shot up to 140/100 when it is usually 110/70. However, it was high right before I started the phentermine. They thought it was some kind of anomaly the first time. I had a no phentermine day yesterday and also was getting over a cold and so spent most of the day in bed.

My ataxia symptoms were very bad at first, with the lost sleep. And then I had a lot of sore muscles and little injuries from the increased activities. But now I do feel a lot better. It’s easier to move and I am more motivated to get up in general.

1 Like

I’m posting info re Phentermine in case anybody hasn’t heard of it, and is under the impression that it cures ataxia.

It stimulates the central nervous system (nerves and brain), which increases your heart rate and blood pressure and decreases your appetite. Phentermine is used together with diet and exercise to treat obesity, especially in people with risk factors such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes.15 Sept 2020
https://www.drugs.com â€ș phentermine

:slightly_smiling_face:It’s good to know that this is helping you and you feel more motivated.

1 Like

Oh yeah thank you. I guess it’s been awhile since these kinds of medications were advertised on the Price is Right. :wink: