What's your opinion about exercise?

Exercise definitely has helped me… I have a Concept 2 rower that I use daily, plus i do a variety of other exercises squats, free weights, planks, etc. I always feel better afterwards, no matter what I do. You can find many types that are safe and easy to start with. The rower is done sitting and gives arms, shoulders, legs, cardio a good workout. It is well worth the expense, i am 74, about 8 yrs with this condition,

1 Like

Exercise has not improved my gait. But it keeps me moving, for which I walk around the block with my rollator.

Yes I have no doubt that regular exercise delays Spinocerabellar Ataxia mobility issues
from my personal experience .I find sitting for 2/3 hours makes me stiffen up until I get moving again so everyone just keep moving and stretch and walk a short distance every hour or 2. I try and go to the gym 3 times a week for about an hour (Stationary bilke 15 minutes ,treadmill 8 to 10 minutes,weights, and mat exercises/stretches .Light yoga also helps which I have been doing for 10 years .Just given up having alcohol as it affects my balance .It easier just to tell people that it affects my balance so they don,t think I am boring.!!!Take care everyone and keep moving.

3 Likes

I’m working on the around the block Shoaib but for now around my house twice (with uneven and tilted sections is plenty. I am not that comfortable with car drivers being distracted, I don’t move fast enough to get out of the way.

Amen to the giving up alcohol Barrypratt, I can care less if they find me not imbibing as boring. It is a big part of me getting here. I know there is no cure for this but giving up and staying in a constant stupor sure *ain’t * liven. That’s Texan speech :grin:

HI! For those who have problems with mobility; I took my Dad a few years ago to Physical Therapy but specifically to a Anti-Gravity Treadmill. Not many centers offer this. In my case, I traveled to Florida with him but it definitely helped him alot. He used a wheelchair but could later walk a little better on his own. So for many of you who have similar problems, I would suggest getting additional information.

:slightly_smiling_face: It’s good to know your father had positive results from this therapy, I hope he continues to do well.

For anybody who is wondering what this therapy is…

Anti-gravity training and rehabilitation assists athletes by lessening the impact or loading on lower body extremity joints and muscles while shortening the healing process by overcoming weight bearing restrictions due to injury and overuse.
www.uofmhealth.org › anti-gravity-…

I say exercise is the very best thing we can do to keep our bodies strong. I use stretching and also strength building and have for many years. Just diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and exercise is even more important now.

Well our brains just keep getting worse BUT keep moving if you are able. You are not a Debbie Downer, you are just you. Each of us gets worse at a different rate. The is no cure for my Ataxia - Sporadic.