When to use a walking aide

I dont think it matters what age u r it is still difficult to give in to using a rollator r walker. Been practicing with rollator, making my self use it. I have decided I need to better than breaking a bone. I m going to “customize my ride”. I have a little basket came with it. I want to order one of those cup holders that stays level n attaches to frame. I received a tall mug with lid that I can use so it doesn’t spill. I looked in the bicycle isle n there is a mini flashlight that attaches to the frame that would be good at night. I’m going to check out bike shop r academy n see what I can find. I’m also looking at baby stroller accesories that might prove useful. I’m going to tell my grand kids it’s my 4 wheeler n take them for a ride n they will think that is cool.

I would agree with Jeannie on this. I used to fall a lot. I began being afraid to do much except sit in a chair and watch TV. Thankfully a friend insisted that I get on a plane and visit her in Hawaii. that did the trick. I was sooo motivated to swim in the ocean that I struggled like heck to do so until I got stronger falling in the sand and trying over and over to walk into the ocean. My balance is now much better than it was and I seldom fall even on sand. It’s possible to improve but it won’t happen if you don’t believe it. I don’t think being frightened to move is the answer so if walking poles or even a walker gets you out and about more, do it. But if you can safely push yourself to move without it stick with strengthening your muscles even if you look foolish doing so. It’s a judgment call on your part. I think being safe is important but that doesn’t mean removing all risk. I still risk falling every day but haven’t in a long time. I’ve even been able to catch myself in near falls and been able to correct my position preventing a fall.

Way to "customize" your walker, PG! ;o)

Hi,

This is a question we all face at some point. No one standard approach will work for us all seeing as we all experience this disorder as individuals. I was diagnosed approximately 19 years ago. I was quite independent for the first few years, as things progressed, I started using a cane/walking stick. It was a hard decision for me. At fist, I looked at it as a way to warn others that I needed a bit more room or time, but I also found there were several instances where I would start to lose my balance and having that stick the lean on saved me from a fall. Before I got my stick,I had several painful falls.

People seem to be much more understanding of my slower gait and tend to allow me more space, etc.

As for the walker, I decided on a rollator (walker with wheels). Again,this was a major struggle for me. It would mean the difference between being able to go for a walk without fear of falling or tiring or staying in. I still did not want to accept that my abilities were declining or be viewed in that light. However, I had to get real. My abilities are and will continue to decline. I have to deal with it and others are aware of it. I compromised with myself; get the rollator but not use it until I had gotten more used to it. Good choice on my part. It took me about 6 months to finally get going with it. It allows me to get out for walks. It has a seat, so I rest if need be.

My current struggle is if I can progress to a scooter. I know I should,but what we know and what we accept are often different things.

Above all, we need to do what is comfortable and safe for us.

I hope this helps you with your decision. Stay strong and keep smiling!

Charlabean said:

Hi,

This is a question we all face at some point. No one standard approach will work for us all seeing as we all experience this disorder as individuals. I was diagnosed approximately 19 years ago. I was quite independent for the first few years, as things progressed, I started using a cane/walking stick. It was a hard decision for me. At fist, I looked at it as a way to warn others that I needed a bit more room or time, but I also found there were several instances where I would start to lose my balance and having that stick the lean on saved me from a fall. Before I got my stick,I had several painful falls.

People seem to be much more understanding of my slower gait and tend to allow me more space, etc.

As for the walker, I decided on a rollator (walker with wheels). Again,this was a major struggle for me. It would mean the difference between being able to go for a walk without fear of falling or tiring or staying in. I still did not want to accept that my abilities were declining or be viewed in that light. However, I had to get real. My abilities are and will continue to decline. I have to deal with it and others are aware of it. I compromised with myself; get the rollator but not use it until I had gotten more used to it. Good choice on my part. It took me about 6 months to finally get going with it. It allows me to get out for walks. It has a seat, so I rest if need be.

My current struggle is if I can progress to a scooter. I know I should,but what we know and what we accept are often different things.

Above all, we need to do what is comfortable and safe for us.

I hope this helps you with your decision. Stay strong and keep smiling!

I went to therapy at Shepard's Clinic in Atlanta. I was taught how to use the cane and walker. I resisted the walker until they sent one home with me. The first problem I had was the sample had 2 inch wheels. You could not roll on carpet or out doors. The other was I was determined not to use it as it would topple over.

I returned to Shepard's with the argument about the wheels. They had an answer of course. Drive Rolloators make a line with 5 or 6 inch wheels. Very easy to move around with. Brakes are easily assessable to keep from toppling over and are great. I have one outside and one in my car if I need it. The recommendation from Shepards was simple I should know what I need to use each day. So, that is what I do.

I use the cane as my primary source of moment. I rarely use the rolloator unless I feel I need it or, I will be walking a long distance. It has s seat for you to rest.

I have an Access Active Rollator for pleasure walks outside. It has two large wheels on the front and two smaller ones in the back. It's rather sporty looking. It also has a seat which lifts up, and has a removable basket. It folds easily if I wish to put it in my car, and rolls with ease over many types of surfaces. I could even use it indoors if need be. As a rule, I also use a cane, but feel very safe and secure with my rollator when I go for walks alone. ;o)