Why do I have to look at foot to know where it is going?

My left side is my weak one right now....Why is it that I can't tell where that foot is going? I have to look at my foot to figure it out. Maybe it is a short in my wiring from my foot to my brain..?

Isn’t it kind of like our neurons arent firing like they should?

I can’t recall what it’s called but it’s an ataxic problem. I’m in a wheelchair and I can’t properly move or identify the position of my feet to my knees unless I’m looking.

I worked with Dr Tom Clouse and he said that when we look at our foot to place it to walk we throw ourselves off balance. He suggested to me to practice heel roll into the toe, lift knee and point it in the direction that you want to go (lead with your knee the rest will follow). He said to practice off times with walking on different surfaces to get you used to it. I had a PT do the same thing with me but she tied a belt around my waist to make sure I didn't fall so she'd catch me if I did. If you work on this please make sure someone spots you while you practice to stay safe.

I asked the same thing. He said it was a bad habit we get into and we don't know how to change it.

I catch myself looking at my feet sometime too still. He said to get it in my mind what I'll be walking on across, and only look down once in a while. It's scary I know, but with practice you can do this. I've seen it where it works with lot's of people! Good luck with your journey. Hope this helps you too!

Rose, didn't you work with Dr Tom Clouse also? What did you learn with him?

rose said:

LOL .. looks like Rose has become invisible. Our maybe it's only me who cant see her posts!

fascinating subject... I cant tell if my ankles are crossed before I try to stand up and if they are, I cant tell which foot has crossed the other!

Neurologist explained it as 'tracking' messages from back brain to front.

No, I've never worked with Dr.Tom Clouse, although I'd love to! I do go on his site frequently though. (For some unknown reason my previous responses didn't show up...,ha!?!)