Works for me

I take 4000IU of vitamin D3 every day. 2000 in the morning and 2000 in the evening. I’ve taken falls because of the Ataxia that should have broken bones but nothing bad (except my embarrassment) has happened. FYI, vitamin D3 helps build strong bones. I am not a doctor so I strongly suggest you talk to them first before taking anything.

7 Likes

Love your tips.

Do you have any tips about reducing slurring of speech?

Unfortunately, speech problems are a symptom of Ataxia. I also have that problem. I do remember reading something some years ago about how breathing properly does affect how we speak. Don’t know much more than that. :weary:

1 Like

I’ll try diaphragmatic breathing and I read (in this site) that core strengthening exercises help. Also beryl mentioned use it or lose it. So I’ll try reading aloud too. Let’s see…I’ll try to report back in a week.

3 Likes

Look at YouTube videos of original strength diaphragmatic breathing.

3 Likes

Many thanks for your excellent posts.

1 Like

The regular exercise that you do also builds bones plus D3 as a topper

2 Likes

I most certainly agree that exercise is the way to go. Only helps. Learned about D3 from the NAF.

2 Likes

Chas521, I definitely find my slurring improving today and I’m reporting after 1 day.
What I did

1. Read a journal ((New Yorker) aloud for 15 mins yesterday and today
  2. Found tongue exercises for clearer speech in YouTube and practiced some (not all) yesterday
    Keep your tips coming…
4 Likes

Many thanks for sharing your posts. We’re all very happy for you. :+1:

2 Likes

Has your speech continued to improve?

Sorry for the delay in response! When I said that my speech was slurring, I felt that my tongue was being lazy, as if the muscles of the tongue were not working right. What solved the problem entirely was 4 or 5 consecutive days of cardio for 30 mins each - so much do that I stopped even reading aloud or tongue exercises!! I have noticed that before too. Cardio solves all choking/ slurring problems. Thanks Chas521 for reminding me to respond.

1 Like

Glad to hear of the improvement. FYI, the reason it’s called cardio is that it strengthens the heart muscle plus other good benefits.:+1:

1 Like

:joy::joy::laughing::laughing:But sometimes I forget!! Tough learner, I guess.

Yeah, I sincerely doubt that! :rofl:

1 Like

I think I have to update. I am getting numb fingertips and also numbness in my tongue more easily due to cold- new observation; this is also partially responsible for my slurring of speech. Joys of ataxia!

1 Like

Stupid Ataxia always throws us a curve! :cry:

1 Like

:thinking:My fingertips aren’t so ‘flexible/manouvrable’ (can’t think of the exact description)…I have arthritis and it doesn’t help…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

I want to say I love such forums like this one. I don’t believe that a doctor or something will be a panacea for our difficult condition. We understand the symptoms (like my slurring of speech) best and hash it out with members ( like Chas, Beryl and so forth) and come closest to a solution/alleviating it.

3 Likes

I would be wary of taking this much vitamin D and greatly appreciate the caveat.

I do note that a have heard of a high vitamin D protocol for MS treatment. I lovely lady recommended it to me claiming it greatly benefited her daughter with MS. She was wheelchair bound and now can function well.

As always do your own due diligence! Thank you for sharing. :blush: