Allergies

Last night I had a scare. I drank a little of what I thought was a healthy, gluten-free,sugar-free, SOY MILK protein shake. Instantly my throat got "hairy", my lips blew up red & my left totally got bloodshit. Has this happened to anymone else?

Hi Snoozy!

That must have felt terrifying! Certainly worth questioning an allergy etc.

I once had a steroid injection into my eye, the reaction I had afterward

was scary too. xB

Boy we have to be so careful these days & not just ataxians, everybody.

Wow I have to proofread before I post LOL! it was my left eye that got bloodshOt

Sorry. I'll try to get better at proofing!

I know that I've recently developed mild allergies in general. But you really sound like you got a big wake up call. In a way I look at it as your lucky you found out what was causing problems and maybe other things in your body to not function as well as they could otherwise too. I think that we can develop an allergies to something new anytime. Natural or not. Normal (what ever that looks like) people do too. People that don't have ataxia that is! :0)

P.S.I tend to get an outward sign or having soy, I get fat, gain belly weight, which are just symptoms etc if I have soy. I can imagine what it must be doing to my insides. So mine is more mild but it took me a long time to understand that my body doesn't agree with soy. So I stay away from it now.

I didn't feel well after drinking soy milk (stomach ache)! Have no idea why. Therefore, I drink unsweetened almond milk with no problems, although I've never had a problem with fat free real milk. Sounds as though you had an allergic reaction to the soy or some other ingredient (s). ;o)

Right. I would stay off the soy. I discovered that I am allergic to new (to me) medications. Don't freak out when this happens although it can be frightening and even dangerous.. Ask your dr. for a quick acting antihistamine or even a steroid (Bad case) and you can carry around (also from the dr.) an EpiPen which will give you temporary relief. In the meantime, avoid new drinks, foods and even cleaning objects such as laundry powder.

Thanks for the great advice, Neta

You are most welcome. BTW, I saw last night on TV that allergies are the new medical menace and folks are reading ingridients on as never before . For example, an ordinary nut or even baking mix, might have pieces of soy in it that your body might be sensitive to. I sadly knew a gal who eventually passed away after eating a salad dressing which had sesame oil in it. She knew she was allergic to sesame seeds but no waiters (at the wedding hall she was attending) knew or told her that there was sesame in the oil. Upon eating the dressing, she swelled up, went into a coma and died 8 months later, admittedly, an unusually strong reaction but better be safe than sorry.

Snoozy said:

Thanks for the great advice, Neta

I've been eating Swedish Glace non dairy frozen dessert, instead of icecream.

I thought it was the best option because it's gluten free. But, now I'm wondering

if that's what's causing heartburn/indigestion, because it's made with soya extract.

Dear B

Dunno about the soy in your case . Have you ever been allergic before to soy products? Any allergist will gve you a (painless) scratch test to ascertain to what you are allergic to. N.

Beryl Park said:

I've been eating Swedish Glace non dairy frozen dessert, instead of icecream.

I thougt it was the best option because it's gluten free. But, now I'm wondering

if that's what's causing heartburn/indigestion, because it's made with soya extract.

Neta, I'm currently awaiting results for gluten sensitivity, I suspect that there may be more to come. xB

You're a wealth of information Neta!..,thank you! How sad that your friend died after eating sesame, as she was allergic to it. Now I'll tell my story....,my best girlfriend's husband died after being stung by a bee in his sleep. A bee had gotten into their house, and stung him in the middle of the night, while he was sleeping. He woke up, couldn't breath and my friend called 911. By the time the paramedics arrived, and worked on him, he was dead. Unusual thing is, he'd been stung before and never had a problem. My friend found out afterwards that bee sting toxins can build up in the body, causing death with that last sting...,who knew? I know my stories not related to a food allergy, but it's food (no pun intended) for thought, as I wonder if the same thing can happen with a food allergy?..., ;o)

Oh Rose, that was terrible! It's wasps that send me into a frenzy. I've been stung twice

and never forgotten. xB

rose said:

You're a wealth of information Neta!..,thank you! How sad that your friend died after eating sesame, as she was allergic to it. Now I'll tell my story....,my best girlfriend's husband died after being stung by a bee in his sleep. A bee had gotten into their house, and stung him in the middle of the night, while he was sleeping. He woke up, couldn't breath and my friend called 911. By the time the paramedics arrived, and worked on him, he was dead. Unusual thing is, he'd been stung before and never had a problem. My friend found out afterwards that bee sting toxins can build up in the body, causing death with that last sting...,who knew? I know my stories not related to a food allergy, but it's food (no pun intended) for thought, as I wonder if the same thing can happen with a food allergy?..., ;o)

Hi Rose,

She was not my friend as the sister of a dear friend. Not that it makes it any better. My cousin's son, a boy of 18 at the time,
was also stung by a bee and went into shock. News for him. It was for this reason that he could not join the military, as planned. and generally stays in doors in summertime. Yes, bee stings can be fatal. I think that a severe food allergy can be dangerous too. Indeed a severe allergy to anything can be dangerous. Happily, most people can keep their allgeries under control with an ordinary anti h

istamines or just avoidence of contact with the allergen. Believe it or not, my husband is allergic to the dung of mites which inhabit the vents of air condtioners. This is not as rare as it sounds. If he is in a small room with air condtioning and no other ventilation, he gets watery eyes, and generally can't breathe so he got into fans and stays away from a/c and keeps the windows open always. It's also cheaper and more envionmentally correct!!

rose said: