Anyone tried the gluten free diet?

I ate gluten free for a month a few years ago and decided I felt "less lubricated". So I quit. Now, I have progressed to quite a bit worse so I thought I'd try it again. After just two weeks I feel so stiff. I don't know if its from another issue or if it is from the diet. I wonder of anyone else has tried it and wants to share how they felt. My SCA is undiagnosed.

I went GF in Jan 2009. It took me over six months of 100% GF to get real significant results. I also took probiotics to complete my gut healing. That's when things really got much better. I no longer needed even my cane.

It's possible you're getting some hidden gluten. Perhaps in medications or seasoning. Or cross-contamination. I even have to be careful with makeup and lotions etc. If you get lotion on your hands then pick up some food, they lotion will transfer to the food and then get eaten. So...lots of challenges.

I hope this helps!

I also followed a gluten free diet for 6 months and gave up as for me it had no impact at all.It does for some though.

Hi Tiffinay - I have gluten ataxia so the gluten free diet is essential for me. What struck me about your post is that these could be withdrawal symtoms - some foods that contain gluten can act like opiates on the brain and when stopped can therefore feel like withdrawing from a drug - i wondered if your symptoms could be something like this? other than that a GF diet shouldnt cause problems and is probably a much healthier diet than many of us have these days as a high carbohydrate diet does lead to weight gain etc. We in general have a higher carb diet than even 40 years ago and grains contain more gluten than they used to - makes better bread for example and therefore is bred into the crops.

Also, as someone has mentioned there is gluten in many foods where you wouldnt expect to find it - in oxo cubes and many gravies, beer and lager, sauces, soups and tinned beans, sausages, burgers and most pre made foods as well as the breads, cakes, biscuits we know about!

Interestingly my husband who doesnt have ataxia decided to go GF to see if it impacted on his psoriasis - it does and he still is gluten free - but he had been developing a strange stiffness when getting up in the morning for example and this odd symptom disappeared after going GF and returned when he had couscous by mistake!

I have also heard that gluten damages the brains of cats - i havent checked this out so I dont know if its true but makes you think if it does!

I would give it a try for longer and see how it is when you get through these symptoms. I have heard from a couple of people with other ataxias that going GF can help.

you say your SCA is undiagnosed - wonder if you have been tested for gluten (gliadin) antibodies?

I felt better in a very few weeks of going gluten free but mine is directly related to gluten so probably my experience isnt usual.

regards

GFGilll

A gluten free diet does nothing for your ataxia unless it is gluten ataxia, which is rarely the case. Gluten free is a lifestyle change that is a benefit to anyone who wants to do so, ataxia or not. Remember, not everything is about ataxia. Quitting smoking will do nothing for ataxia, but living a healthier lifestyle will impact how you handle having ataxia.

I had a fantastic improvement to my ataxia going gluten free
Positive attuned helps
Just had my photo shoot for ataxia awareness as it is Gluten free results
Wish I had know this before
Because I ate toast for breakfast
Sandwich for lunch that’s 4 slices a day
My results are great
So I recommend it WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOOSE TRYING IT

I have had many test done for Gluten. I have no reaction from gluten. So many doctors told me that by stopping gluten it would not help my ataxia. Jonas is right it is a lifestyle change on less you have gluten ataxia. And it could be a benefit. So I chose not to go Gluten free. But that's me.

I hesitated before posting this, because I am afraid my opinion might ruffle a few feathers, so know that my intentions are not to create a dispute but just to clear up some misconceptions about gluten free diet.

I agree with Jonas who says that only people proven to be allergic or sensitive to gluten will greatly benefit from a gluten free diet.

Also, since foods containing gluten are often high in calories, it will help to lose weight.

Gluten by itself does not offer much benefit, but the whole grains foods that contain the gluten do, as they are a good source of minerals and vitamins. So if you go gluten free, you have to be careful not to deprive your body of very important nutrients.

I recommend reading a very good article on Webmd called " The truth about gluten" . Very informative.

I honestly believe that gluten free in many ways is just a fad unless medically necessary, just like the fat free diet craze of a few years ago,(they added more sugar=more calories to make fat free foods more palatable, substituting one problem for another equally bad.)

In my humble opinion, the healthiest diet is moderation, eat everything in reasonable quantities.

Stay well every body :slight_smile:

loz said:

I had a fantastic improvement to my ataxia going gluten free
Positive attuned helps
Just had my photo shoot for ataxia awareness as it is Gluten free results
Wish I had know this before
Because I ate toast for breakfast
Sandwich for lunch that's 4 slices a day
My results are great
So I recommend it WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOOSE TRYING IT
Hi Loz, really glad you found an improvement going gluten free - Ive heard of others who dont have gluten ataxia who also find it helps. What do you mean by positive attuned?
Gill

Cicina said:

I hesitated before posting this, because I am afraid my opinion might ruffle a few feathers, so know that my intentions are not to create a dispute but just to clear up some misconceptions about gluten free diet.
Hi Cicina
Im glad you posted - hope we can have debates and disagreements without upsetting each other - wouldnt do for us all to think the same would it? !-)
I think if its not gluten ataxia or coeliac or a sensitivity you're right and its a personal choice - but there are many people in the world who dont use these grains in their diet and dont suffer from nutrient deficiencies - think of people who eat rice and not wheat etc, or Inuits etc, hunter gatherers and travelling groups who dont stay in one place to grow grains - some scientists /doctors believe that its because we havent been eating these grains for very long (in terms of humans being on the earth, so that means thousands of years!) that so many have problems with digesting them. As with all things some people have vested interests and the baked (gluten) goods market is no exception! Interesting article, but it only gives one opinion and not a balanced view.
I also hope I havent ruffled any feathers.
Gill

It takes months for a gluten free diet to work and I mean NO GLUTEN at all ! You are probably just detoxing. You may feel worse before you feel better but believe me it works. I have gluten ataxia and I had gotten to the point that I was needing to use a walker. Then I was diagnosed and told to give up gluten which I did and within a few months I was feeling a lot better. Now I don't need any walking assistance at all and I can do whatever I want to. I walk my dog every day, work out and feel great. I'm even starting to run again. But just let me eat something that may have some cross contamination with gluten and I feel sick and very unsteady. I am very careful about my diet and as long as I avoid gluten I have no problems.

For those of you who say it's too hard to give up gluten, no it isn't. I'll tell you what's hard, try giving up sugar, honey, agave and all artificial sweetners. I had to do that too and believe me, there is no replacement for the sweetness in sugar. I have tried baking using every other type of sweetener that might work but nothing tastes good. I have diabetes and many sensitivities to artificial sweeteners, agave and stevia so none of them work for me but replacing gluten is easy. There are so many gluten free products and flours on the market now that it's really easy. But be sure and pick the ones that are whole grain which are made with brown rice flour and other gluten free grains. The other ones are only made with starches which don't have any health benefits at all and may also be detrimental to your health.

From what I UNDERSTAND, if one has diagnosed Gluten Ataxia, then a gluten free diet is a must! Eating gluten free will definitely help! Personally, I had all the tests for gluten sensitivity/allergy, which was negative. It's only MY THEORY though, that gluten, as well as dairy, isn't (?) good for anyone, ataxia or not. I just purchased a book called "Wheat Belly" which talks about the cons of gluten and dairy. It was on the best-seller list. My jury is still out, until I read/research more. My neurologist said a gluten free/dairy free diet won't help my ataxia (I was diagnosed 10 years ago, at age 49, with Sporadic Cerebellar Ataxia), although it's good for general health, which is a big con. At this time I eat as healthy as possible, lots of veggies and fruit (organic if possible), almond milk, nothing processed, etc., but am not gluten free. When I eat gluten, it's 100% whole grains only. With GMO's (genetically modified), that's probably not healthy! There's so much information to digest (no pun intended...,ha!), it's hard to sort out the pros and cons. It's all confusing and overwhelming to me...,ha! This is only MY OPINION, of course, no offense to others opinions..., My best to all...,;o)

The moral of the story is : if you feel it’s good for you and helps you, go gluten free, if you do not feel it will help you, don’t do it and last, if you’re not sure, why not try it?
But one piece of advice, if I may, do your homework first and do it right. Do not miss out too long on the healthy nutrients contained in whole grains, such as the B12, iron and also fiber.
Good night, UK friends and good evening, American ones and to all the friends around the world, good whatever time of day or night you are living in. :wink:

Way to sum it up Cicina! ;o)

Right, I'm not sure if I did it right. I may have eaten gluten if, as stated earlier, hamburgers have it now. I'll have to do some research. But as in most areas in America right now, it is incredibly rainy. I could be stiff because of the weather.

Nonetheless, thank you all for your comments.

Tiffinay

I am on a gluten and lactose free diet. Have been gluten free for years. Lactose is new and only been on that 2 months. I do not feel stiff, as my doctor has me taking a balanced fish oil and coconut oil daily. 1 1/2 teaspoons of coconut oil 2 times a day and 1 tablespoon of fish oil 2 times a day. Try adding these oils once a day and see if it helps with your stiffness.

Tiffinay,

Send some of that rain to Colorado. In my town we had 473 homes burn down as of this morning in a wildfire.

Tiffinay said:

Right, I'm not sure if I did it right. I may have eaten gluten if, as stated earlier, hamburgers have it now. I'll have to do some research. But as in most areas in America right now, it is incredibly rainy. I could be stiff because of the weather.

Nonetheless, thank you all for your comments.

Tiffinay

I intended to say eating gluten/dairy free is a big PRO for general health, not a big CON...,my bad...,ha! ;o)

I have idiopathic CA, diagnosed 3 years ago.

I have been gluten free for 27 years since I was diagnosed as gluten sensitive by my GP. Needless to say, the whole family and I are expert at gluten free meals, though after 27 years I still would like a pint of beer (though with my Ataxia it's not advisable) I do find eating out very difficult as gravies and sauces, coatings of any kind are best avoided. Chinese takeaways are a no go.

When I was tested for gliadin antibodies I thought it would definitely come back positive, but no it was negative. My theory is that I would have no antibodies because I am very strict with my diet. But my CA wouldn't be gluten ataxia as I thought It might.

Anyway I am happy with the gluten free diet and I know that I am much fitter and healthier being gluten free for the simple fact that there is so much food around me that I can't put in my mouth. Buffet parties are usually food and drink 'no eat zones' but hey what? life goes on.

I agree with gfill as the symptoms you describe do sound like withdrawal symptoms.

Go for it, there's nothing to lose. It may be the answer!

Hi Lockie - Professor Marios Hadjivassilliou tests for gliadin antibodies every 6 months if you have gluten ataxia - it seems he expects that with a strict GF diet you should get rid of the gliadin antibodies - I havent so far and I think that Im very strict, I never ever eat anythng with gluten in deliberately and check everything so goodness knows where the antibodies still come from. So you may well have gluten ataxia as you thought and have managed to get antibody free unlike me! So I think your theory is right!

Gill

Lockie said:

When I was tested for gliadin antibodies I thought it would definitely come back positive, but no it was negative. My theory is that I would have no antibodies because I am very strict with my diet. But my CA wouldn't be gluten ataxia as I thought It might.