Benifits social security

does any 1 no what benifits u can and should claim 4 on the nhs , i seem 2 b going round in circles with them ,as ive only lived in england 4 a month there telling me my partner earns 2 much even tho its just over the minimum wage and she only does 19 hours a week . its hard enough living with ataxia let alone doing it without money ....... thx

keep strong

There is no real cure from the government bureaucracy. Sometimes the only option is to keep trying.

I'm not sure in England what is available. But did you check out their website and looked into compassion allowences for that area?

thx loz but been a long day with the social should have told them i was foreign instead of from the isle of man , only 30 miles by boat lol

said:

keep strong

Hi

Well my son has sca7 and we claim disability living allowance for him. Which comes in two parts, one for the care element and one for motorbility. You are awarded the different rates dependant on the severity and care that is required. My son qualifys for higher rate.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/diol1/doitonline/dg_10017715. Here is the link for the paper work. You might need to get someone to help you fill it out. You could find this help from either your local social services or ataxia uk. The more medical evidence you have the easier it is.

As for careres allowance neither I or my mother who helps care for him qualify to get this allowance as I earn too much and my mother who is retired has a pension and has too many financial assests. It is totally unfair as my mother is saving the government 1000’s by doing the caring. We are however in the process of looking for direct payments, which you could look at through social services. Your partner might qualify for that. It is done on a cases by case basis.

Hope this a start in the right direction…

thx 4 that will c wat can b done

Mummy of an angel said:

Hi

Well my son has sca7 and we claim disability living allowance for him. Which comes in two parts, one for the care element and one for motorbility. You are awarded the different rates dependant on the severity and care that is required. My son qualifys for higher rate.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/diol1/doitonline/dg_10017715. Here is the link for the paper work. You might need to get someone to help you fill it out. You could find this help from either your local social services or ataxia uk. The more medical evidence you have the easier it is.

As for careres allowance neither I or my mother who helps care for him qualify to get this allowance as I earn too much and my mother who is retired has a pension and has too many financial assests. It is totally unfair as my mother is saving the government 1000's by doing the caring. We are however in the process of looking for direct payments, which you could look at through social services. Your partner might qualify for that. It is done on a cases by case basis.

Hope this a start in the right direction......

check out Ataxia UK web site as they will probably be able to tell you the benefiits available in England

You may be able to claim disability livining allowance depending on how ataxia affects you. Contact citzens advice. They will keep you right on what you can claim. They can also assist with filling forms in.

Good luck & keep percevering.

Pauline.

Wonderful post!

Awesome that 95 people have already read this in one day! :)

I am from the UK and can assist you a bit.

The most important bit is to claim D.L.A. (Disability Living Allowance) as this opens loads of doors. You will get the lower rate as a minimum, but with Ataxia you should get the higher rate. With this, you can get a Motability car, Blue badge parking, A disabled persons rail card and a C.E.A. card (allows you to get into a cinema for half price with a carer or partner) amongst others.

Then you should get Incapacity Benefit as well.

Those are the main ones which I claim, if anyone else can add to the list they are welcome to

thanxs every 1 4 yr help and tips but it seems that movin from the isle of man which is center of the uk mite as well as moved from mars all im entitled 2 is dla as my partner earns to much ,wat a joke ..... but thanxs all

I would have a benefits check at the citizen advise bureau. Until then check out www.entitledto.co.uk or google 'entitled to' there is also a freephone number on this site for futher assistant.

Hope this helps

hi, im in the same boat on this , it has taken 7mths of paperwork and still on going, at first i had to see a government doctor

who quoted on my forms that i could walk more then 30meters with a stick!!! they did not even test me for this either!!!

i can barely walk from lounge to dinner table , and have to hold out going to the toilet !!! but the government knows best.

i am currently waiting on an appeal and said i would get a decision in july, i am going to wait till then and use the ataxia uk people to help me out with the forms etc

personally afer reading about benefits on this forum use the ataxia uk personnel

paul

at the moment paul im been forced back into work wen some days i cant get out of bed but im with a group called momento who get u placements they strictly deal with people with stuff like ours , doin this cuss we cant live of fresh air , if i was a foreign national i would have money thrown at me . so while i cant claim any money they actually sent me a letter 2day sayin if i didnt turn up 4 a work placement they would stop my benifits wat a laugh seein how im not gettin a bleedin penny of them , but thx 4 yr reply

Marty, you are so right.

Marty said:

the social are a bloody joke.if they owe us any money,it takes them ages to pay it.yet if its us lot who owe them money,they are the first to let us know.and take it back very quickly.and they make loads of mistakes,yet they never even bother to apologise for any mistakes they make.i used to get really mad at them,but it doesnt do any good.

You said you had ny been in this country one month? …what country have you come from and what nationality are you?

That will effect how your benefits are dealt with if you are classed as a immigrant and are you married to your partner or just living with them? Is you partner British born? The govt tends to frown on people marrying just to get them in the country and I’m afraid all these issues will be affecting your benefit claim depending on your country of origin.

from the isle of man so im british and just livin with my partner