Bike

I agree trikes are expensive. Mine was near $3000, but my daughter found a used one for less than half that.

Well, that's £3000 I've saved because I don't actually like the angle you have to sit at,

or being so low to the ground. Actually, even if I managed to get into it in the first place,

I don't know how I'd ever get out! I cancelled the porsche for the same reason. xB

scrffycat9 said:

Don't know about DLA but if you've got the best part of £3000 to spare, you could buy this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvsLEqrKDHI No room for shopping here!
Beryl Park said:

Hi Scruffycat9!

I don't actually know how much these trikes are but is it the sort of thing you could

use DLA for? When you go out, just don't mention you're going near the shops.xB

scrffycat9 said:

A recumbent trike. Yes, look good but, the cost prevents me. As for conventional trikes, I'm afraid it's a similar story, unless this guy wants to get the shopping while he's out.

Beryl Park said:

Hi Loz!

I investigated this for myself a while ago but didn't take it any further

than collecting info. What I did discover was, a tricycle specifically

for people with poor balance is available, with 2 wheels actually

on the front for better stability.xB

After reading some of your posts, I called a local bike shop and asked if they had a trike I could "test drive". They said yes and I went to try it yesterday. I was all over the parking lot! I was wobbly steering AND pedaling. I haven't been on a bike in about 7 years. Do you think it gets better with use and practice? I would hate to spend the money and not be able to use it - but really need the exercise so am willing to risk it.

How was it at first for those of you that have trikes? (Not the recumbent one, just regular)

I have been TRYING to ride a bike since 1999 head injury that left me with Ataxia to improve my muscle strength and tone. I have tried various bikes including folding bikes. I have chosen especially lightweight bikes due to my difficulty being able to hold them, arm weakness. This is my Brompton folding bike. I am small lightweight....it is small lightweight. I do more walking with it than riding. I can put the seat down, sit on it and scoot along on it with my legs in and out amongst people. I am now 69 years old so not bad at my age with Ataxia. Mounting, dismounting, starting off and stopping scary.

Tried the trikes, not suitable, damaged myself too much, too heavy....I can be as weak as shit....sorry...but that is the case. Occasionally I feel the challenge and mount my Brompton and r i d e. Storm.

316-IMG_20130308_125337.jpg (78.3 KB)

Hi Storm!

It looks a very nice bike, I envy you being able to use it, scooting or however! I found some trikes

with 2 wheels at the front, supposedly more stable for those of us who are vertically challenged.

Having tried trikes are you of the opinion that even this type doesn't entirely fit the bill? Beryl

Storm said:

I have been TRYING to ride a bike since 1999 head injury that left me with Ataxia to improve my muscle strength and tone. I have tried various bikes including folding bikes. I have chosen especially lightweight bikes due to my difficulty being able to hold them, arm weakness. This is my Brompton folding bike. I am small lightweight....it is small lightweight. I do more walking with it than riding. I can put the seat down, sit on it and scoot along on it with my legs in and out amongst people. I am now 69 years old so not bad at my age with Ataxia. Mounting, dismounting, starting off and stopping scary.

Tried the trikes, not suitable, damaged myself too much, too heavy....I can be as weak as shit....sorry...but that is the case. Occasionally I feel the challenge and mount my Brompton and r i d e. Storm.

I use a TerraTrike Rover. I wanted something to use taking my dog out and it works well. They arrent cheap at $1000 but its worth it for me. They make some pedals that you strap your feet into and it makes it better to ride. Next yr I want to do this big bike ride across my state (Iowa) called RAGBRAI but I will need to upgrade to a better model with more gears (mine has 8).

314-roverPanel1Lg.jpg (58.4 KB) 315-TT0000243T.jpg (45 KB)

unfortunately, these are not available in England. They seem pretty good.

MikesBored said:

I use a TerraTrike Rover. I wanted something to use taking my dog out and it works well. They arrent cheap at $1000 but its worth it for me. They make some pedals that you strap your feet into and it makes it better to ride. Next yr I want to do this big bike ride across my state (Iowa) called RAGBRAI but I will need to upgrade to a better model with more gears (mine has 8).

I ride a ICE trike recumbent, which have been using for about 4yrs and get quite a few miles out it, very stable and a great way to get out and about, excrsice and fresh air,they a a uk company and i would recommend them

After cancer in 2006 when I was 16, I was told I'd never be able to drive a car. I was okay with that. I was also okay with walking like a "drunken sailor" but in 2012, I wanted to ride a bike and couldn't. I became depressed because there is nothing I can do. I will definitely look into tricycles.

Thank you guys

I can't ride a bike either. I can't balance it!

As I've said before, Skeeter affords no direct exercise. She is, however, an effective 'enabler' in that she keeps me off the floor. When you have ataxia, that is no small deal. Nonetheless, I could tell that the predictable neurological progression was gradually diminishing my leg strength. A big fear is not being able to get out of a chair. I've learned that some loss is beyond my control and some isn't. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with persistent chronic pain or nausea. At the risk of sounding pollyanna–ish, they are far more debilitating than weakness and loss of balance.

I am surrounded by people who, although possibly experiencing a decline in muscle mass for one reason or another, keep their bodies in motion. They run, walk, bike, participate in sports, garden, or chase after small children. My heart is with them—my lower body, not so much. It's OK, really. Sometimes, I'm content to stay home...alone...in the dark... (cue pity party)*.

A friend once described herself as an outstanding pool floater. "That's what I do —I float" (truth be told, she was actually an educator embracing her 'float' persona). We all have our talents. I am an experienced, highly skilled, and accomplished sitter—on the couch, on patio furniture, at a party, and of course, on Skeeter. Of course, I can move too. Providing there is a good battery charge, Skeeter can handle both inclines and declines and I rarely worry about getting stuck somewhere. Steep terrain may be more work for the scooter, but not for me. Sitting and scooting is easy and a guaranteed "no fall state". I can get outside, go where I want, no physical strength is required, and everyone can relax. So, what could possibly be the downside? Well, for one thing, no strength is maintained.

My tricycle gave me back some confidence** and it has it's parking spot in the garage. However, it haunts me whenever Skeeter and I go for a scoot. With Skeeter, I can choose my destination and go independently on the spur of the moment. Riding the trike requires a fair amount of advance thought and a lot of human support to go anywhere. Earl installed a grab bar to facilitate entry and exit, but it's still not pretty and it takes forever. I'm grateful for the trike on family vacations, as joining the group for a bike ride is one of the best parts of the trip. Skeeter's top downhill and uphill speed is 4mph. Like a bicycle, the trike downhill speed is only limited by my death grip on the brakes.

I need more experience with the gearing and riding only intermittently insures an ongoing learning curve. So, if I want to practice gearing, braking, or riding, I'm faced with going up and down our driveway (boring) or up and down our street (agony). Then, it occurred to me that some exercise is boring and agonizing. Certainly, time wasn't a major limitation. I could manage boring exercise—OK, not great, but OK. One thing both Skeeter and the trike can do that is a huge deal to someone with no balance, is stop on a dime. I can pause and chat with friends, don't have to put my feet down, and I don't fall.

About midway through my third trek up the street, a neighbor, wanting to be encouraging commented, "Good for you. That looks like fun!" Wanting to visit, but be honest, I responded, "Thanks! This is so not fun." My neighbors have learned not to even ask if I want a ride or need help. I'd take the ride and should I need help, they'll be able to tell from my panicked expression. But I have to say, it's nice to be able to stop and visit without incurring injury.

Getting clip pedals for my trike helped me get up inclines without slipping off or out. Unfortunately, I still look like an upended turtle. You have to wonder, why go up that street? Who needs it? The answer is, if I can get up my street, I'm not as likely to get stuck somewhere. I need the assurance that I can get there eventually as opposed to 'Forget it. It's not going to happen'.

The lesson: Being close to the ground is so reassuring, no matter how long it takes to get on and off the trike.

* Previous post: Pity Party––Underrated??

**Previous post: I need a job–or something