Bike

Please advice want a bike

Hi Loz!

I investigated this for myself a while ago but didn't take it any further

than collecting info. What I did discover was, a tricycle specifically

for people with poor balance is available, with 2 wheels actually

on the front for better stability.xB

I have a Adult trike from mission cycles http://www.missioncycles.co.uk/

(I will upload a pic later it can also be seen at video http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/arts/yourvideo/media/pages/alan_thomas_01.shtml )

there is also Recumbent trikes (low to ground)

Love my recumbent trike. It made a big difference in my life. Read half way down this posting.

http://schumant.blogspot.com/2012/07/i-need-jobor-something.html

Alan Thomas said:

I have a Adult trike from mission cycles http://www.missioncycles.co.uk/

(I will upload a pic later it can also be seen at video http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/arts/yourvideo/media/pages/alan_thomas_0... )

there is also Recumbent trikes (low to ground)

Having Ataxia, I have never been able to ride a bike because I can't balance it. I dislocated my elbow when I was younger learning to ride one. I agree with the above comments. A trike is much safer!!

I have a Fiori Parklane adult trike, and I love it! I've even ridden it in the Ride to Conquer Cancer.

I tried to ride my granddaughters bike a couple years ago, and realized I couldn't. I have rode a bike all my life, and after my 2 shoulder surgeries, I didn't get to ride. I bought a trike online through Walmart. It is a Schwinn. I paid $269.00 with .97 cents shipping, and absolutely love it!!! I can do everything with it. It has a basket on the back, and I can do all mine, and my 83 year old home bound mother's shopping with it! It is perfect! Check it out!

John "JC" Colyer said:

Trike is safer I agree!!

Hi LOZ - an adult trike is good to work with balance issues. Depending on your balance needs, there are a couple of different types of trikes. Depending on your strength and/or where you will ride it, there are different speeds, etc. Don’t forget the bike helmet!

Hi Loz, An adult trike or recumbent trike (as others have said) would be my choice. Like Beryl, I don't have one yet, only information. Glad you asked this question as I plan to research sites people have posted! ;o)

I have a trike with a basket and ride about one hour per day. It really frees me up and makes me feel "normal". I also went kayaking on the Delaware River. My husband's access from his vacation h oiuse is down a steep bannister-less staircase. I wentdown with my tush.. But one on the kayak I was fine. There are two bars to hold on which mad paddling a chore. Never mind, the water was calm and my husband paddled. We landed the boat at a friend's house and I crawled up a small hill on his property to go home. I am wondering about horses and riding therapy?? Anyone?? BTW, I saw Charlie Rose program on TV last night, and he had a slew of neuroscientists to discuss the new Obama brain inititive. Alot of talk about about Parkinsons no discussion of ataxia. Seems all very theoretical at this stage.

Thanks for all your help guys x

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a bike too. Done some research into it and a trike is definitely my best bet, safer! I've tried a 'normal' bike and fell off it haha not good! I've also tried a recumbent trike, but can't use one as my hips hurt (they don't move that way!).

Regarding horses Neta. I have a horse and try to ride as often as I can, it is very good for building your core muscles etc up! I don't do any therapy on her, I just ride her with friends, alone or when I get a lesson off a local instructor. I walk and trot mainly as the faster you go the worse my balance is! My horse is very good so I do have a cheeky canter (run) sometimes! If you want to get into riding I'd definitely recommend it! Google 'Lee Pearson', he's a very good inspiration or 'Helen kearney', they are both Dressage riders.

Taryn

Thanks Taryn. PS Got my trike second hand for $200.00 in PA, USA

Taryn Cotton said:

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a bike too. Done some research into it and a trike is definitely my best bet, safer! I've tried a 'normal' bike and fell off it haha not good! I've also tried a recumbent trike, but can't use one as my hips hurt (they don't move that way!).

Regarding horses Neta. I have a horse and try to ride as often as I can, it is very good for building your core muscles etc up! I don't do any therapy on her, I just ride her with friends, alone or when I get a lesson off a local instructor. I walk and trot mainly as the faster you go the worse my balance is! My horse is very good so I do have a cheeky canter (run) sometimes! If you want to get into riding I'd definitely recommend it! Google 'Lee Pearson', he's a very good inspiration or 'Helen kearney', they are both Dressage riders.

Taryn

A recumbent trike. Yes, look good but, the cost prevents me. As for conventional trikes, I'm afraid it's a similar story, unless this guy wants to get the shopping while he's out.

Beryl Park said:

Hi Loz!

Hi Scruffycat9!

I don't actually know how much these trikes are but is it the sort of thing you could

use DLA for? When you go out, just don't mention you're going near the shops.xB

scrffycat9 said:

A recumbent trike. Yes, look good but, the cost prevents me. As for conventional trikes, I'm afraid it's a similar story, unless this guy wants to get the shopping while he's out.

Beryl Park said:

Hi Loz!

Sorry for delay with photo (been on wheelchair adventures !!)

321-wheelchairadventure914July2013129.jpg (838 KB)

I have this very bike in blue. Dream.

Alan Thomas said:

Don't know about DLA but if you've got the best part of £3000 to spare, you could buy this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvsLEqrKDHI No room for shopping here!
Beryl Park said:

Hi Scruffycat9!

I don't actually know how much these trikes are but is it the sort of thing you could

use DLA for? When you go out, just don't mention you're going near the shops.xB

scrffycat9 said:

Beryl Park said:

Hi Loz!