Broken Ankle Blues

Well - People with Ataxia should not take the dog outside during a blizzard. I left my apartment about 9:30 pm during our first big blizzard late in January. I fell down and heard my ankle snap. I reached into my pocket for my cell phone and realized it was sitting inside on the charger. OK time to crawl through the snow back to apartment to call 911. After ER visit discovered that I am hopeless with either crutches or a knee scooter - nearly broke the other ankle when they tried me with crutches at the hospital. Wheelchair it isā€¦ After my surgery I have been confined to my house for a month. No weight bearing and no driving for at least another 3 weeks. FRUSTRATED!

1 Like

YEOW!!! Best of luck. :frowning_face:

:hushed: I empathise, hobbling on one foot and coping with poor balance is no jokeā€¦ One day I decided to walk around my garden without a walking stick, all was well until I deviated from the lawn and went ā€˜off pisteā€™ into an overgrown area. I was trying to look through a hedge (being nosy) to see work on an adjacent property, and plunged my leg into a hidden hole :woman_facepalming:
Luckily no break but it did take 5/6weeks before I could bear weight on itā€¦

Iā€™m so sorry about this. I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly. Honestly, I used a knee scooter last summer, and almost fell off a number of times. And I donā€™t have balance issues. The key to them seems to be taking it slow, but they are clearly not for everyone.

Sharon from ModSupport

@Mary1 hope you have some good friends to help you through this tough time. People with this wonderful condition are tough people. You will get through it with a little prayer and support. I will be praying for your healing.

I hear you! Before Christmas I walked outside on concrete slab, some kids played and left 1 small, smooth rock laying on the slab. I stepped on it and fell landed on my back, fractured my ankle, broke rib in my back and it punctured my lung etc etc.
I could not use crutches either. I had one of those 4 wheeler rolling walkers and sat on it and rolled myself around in the house. That worked great. I am three months out from accident and still have some issues with the ankle but driving and wear the walking boot while in store.
I feel your frustrationā€¦

:hushed: I found it bad enough coping with the initial injury, but what happened to you was adding insult to injury. Best wishes for a successful recovery :slightly_smiling_face:

Mary I hope you can get one of those 4 wheel walkers like I mentioned in previous post. Sure helps to sit on it and roll yourself around. It sure helped me til my ankle healed. Hopefully you can order groceries online and maybe a neighbor/family could pick them up for you.
I was attending the Senior Center prior to my accident and fortunate enough to have the Senior Center deliver meals on wheels to me until I could drive again.

Glad you are better now.

1 Like

Mary I hope you can get one of those 4 wheel walkers like I mentioned in previous post. Sure helps to sit on it and roll yourself around. It sure helped me til my ankle healed. Hopefully you can order groceries online and maybe a neighbor/family could pick them up for you.
I was attending the Senior Center prior to my accident and fortunate enough to have the Senior Center deliver meals on wheels to me until I could drive again.

Ouch! I hope you are feeling better. I see my surgeon again next Friday. I am hoping she says I can remove the boot long enough to drive to work. Teaching on Zoom is not my favorite!

I hope I can get a 4 wheel walker after I see the doctor on Friday. I also hope she lets me remove the boot long enough to drive the 14 minutes to work and back. Teaching on Zoom is not my favoriteā€¦ I have been using Instacart to get groceries deliveredā€¦
Hope you are feeling better!

Mary1
I bet the zoom thing is a challenge. I hope you can get well soon. It helps to get back to your normal routine.