Charlie horse/leg cramps

I do what JC does, as I eat a banana every day! Also, I stretch my muscles each day when exercising...,works for me! ;o)

I take calcium at the moment of leg cramps. Plus Hylands “leg cramps”.either one works for me. I hope you find what works for you. Maybe your doctor would know what to do.

I've never heard of this before. I'm going to try it next time I get leg cramps. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah said:

my husband is a cyclist and suffers cramps a lot. He keeps a saucepan lid at his bedside. When he is woken up with cramps he presses this icy cold metal on his leg which eases the pain.

What’s the deal with Ataxia and calf cramps?! Just woken by some serious cramping in my left calf. I see numerous posts/references/complaints about calf cramps and suggested treatments but no explaination of why this symptom seems to plague Ataxians? What’s up wit the cramps? Why?!

Oh man I suffer bad calf cramps too. I take magnesium ritually and my GP gave me some exercises to do before bed and recommended a glass of tonic water because of quinine in it. I haven’t done that yet. An anti-inflammatory cream massaged in at the time provides relief for me. In my opinion it’s from muscle fatigue and muscle wasting jay, that’s why us foreign taxis get them coz our muscles are weaker and have to work harder to compensate for shonky balance…

I used to get really bad cramp at night. Getting up and gentle exerciser helped but I started to take turmeric and it went away!
Most days I can get away with one in the morning and one at night. If it is bad day, one at midday normally does the trick,

I get them from here

www.bodykind.com/search/Vir...

Obviously it is a personal choice and I know a great many people who swear by other drugs but I thought I would give an alternative. If you are taking any other tablets or drugs, you must always be very careful because some can react badly. A good site I discovered to check things is

www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/i...

Hope turmeric works for you too if you want an alternative : )

I must be a very rare ataxian, as I don’t suffer hardly ever with muscle cramps. I was taking 20 mg of baclofen, but recently I found my legs getting more stiff, so after talking to Paulo Giunti my neurologist she said to try uping the dose to 30 mg. Which I have for the last 10 days. It has definitely helped, I no longer have the same stiffness. I also recently got a medical prescription exemption card, which helps tremendously given the amount of money I was spending.

I take Tizanidine at bedtime. It helps me sleep. But I have not had any experience with muscle cramps yet.

:slightly_smiling_face: Martin, It’s good to know you have effective results from Baclofen, I have issues myself with recurrent, worsening stiffness, but as yet I haven’t tried any medication.

Hi Beryl
I can only speak for myself but for me it works well, my neurologist recommend 2 tablets in the evening as any related tiredness isn’t an issue as bedtime is a few hours later.

1 Like

I have just started taking baclofen, 10mg once or twice a day, but I am not sure it suits me. I have only taken 10mg so far but it is making my legs feel heavy and rather spaced out. Not sure how long to persevere. Still getting pain and cramps.

:thinking: There are mixed opinions about Baclofen…it seems it’s just one of the things you need to try for yourself. And, it could take a while to notice improvement.

1 Like

Might it be dystonia?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dystonia/