Leg Cramps

Help! Leg cramps are so painful. I get cramps in my feet and I would take Vitamin B and that would make them go away but it doesn't seem to be working on my calves. Any suggestions?

from earlier discussions, u should try potasium, calcium and magnisium (together). stretching & exercise helps too.

I finally went to the hospital for this and they gave me 300 mg of neurotin and a muscle relaxer which didn't work at all. I got the dosage of neurotin down to 200 mg with my neurologist's help. I still get cramps though and they are unbelievably painful but not as bad as they used to be. Any NSAID may help... Good luck.

I tried every supplement, vitamin and salt under the sun but nothing helped. After being diagnosed with SCA1 I stated exercising properly. I used to get the really bad cramps that make you jump out of bed at 03H00 in the morning. I'm now doing Pilates 3 times a week.The strengthening and stretching has pretty much got rid of them all together.

Good Luck

My husband gets these also, sometimes several times a night. The frequency has gotten worse, and he just started taking calcium, magnesium, D as well as B12 and a B complex. He exercises every morning. So far they are continuing, but he does have some nights without cramps. We are going to start keeping track of eating, activities, etc. to see if anything makes a difference. I will have him try stretching exercises and see if that helps. Is this something that is related to his CA specifically? I am interested to see this conversation here?

JamesZA said:

I tried every supplement, vitamin and salt under the sun but nothing helped. After being diagnosed with SCA1 I stated exercising properly. I used to get the really bad cramps that make you jump out of bed at 03H00 in the morning. I'm now doing Pilates 3 times a week.The strengthening and stretching has pretty much got rid of them all together.

Good Luck

Mine have gone now but dont know what worked... I take baclofen in the late afternoon and magnesium for muscle burning. I also use passive pedaling machine for exercise and wii fit stretching exercises. Bit of everything I guess.

I also take Vit B complex amongst lots of other vit and min supplements.

Try potassium supplements or eat more bannanas and potatoes. Works for me.

Tonic water with quinine worked for me, I drank a glass every night for under a week and never had cramp again. Whether it was related, who knows

Yes! I was getting them at night so they woke me up with a start, I just went through having Charley Horse cramping in my calves. I can't tell you how many things which nothing really helped me but still I tried for 3 days before I finally said Uncle and went to my Dr. So what I found worked well for me was. got 4 Baclofen took 2 per day for two day's to break the cycle of the pain because it was constant. Then I got a massage all over but on my calves she spent more time. This moved my blood around in my body. My Dr. suggested I drink a bottle of Tonic water each night for the quinine in it (I found Fever-Tree Naturally light Tonic water NO SUGAR ) and take 100mg of Magnesium. She suggested the I lightly stretch them one at a time before bed, if I wake up at night and 3-4 times during the day also.

The last few weeks I've been doing these things and also have found getting more oxygen in my calves by exercising them more than I was helps allot! I'm afraid not to keep having the Tonic Water and the Magnesium and lightly stretching them every night now for fear they will return.

Consult your Dr. maybe they have another thought you can add! Good luck I get it's not fun and turns your world upside down!

I hate that you have this, I have struggled with this for at least 10 years. I tried all of the usual advice like, "eat more bananas", "drink more water:, "try quinine". Nothing helped. Then I tried this emu oil pain cream and it worked. I don't know if it's the menthol, aloe, or any of the ingredients I can't pronounce. One brand seems to work better for me than the others, Thunder Ridge Intensive Pain Relief. Google it then shop around for the best price and shipping deal. I use it on my feet, calves, and hamstrings. I use it about once a week.

I've been taking 10 mg of Cyclobenzaprine for my legs and back cramps for a long long time. If I forget to take it the cramps are worse. A few years ago my husband bought me 3 pairs of compression pants (Sports Authority) that I wear to bed that help tremendously as does wearing warm socks to bed. Until we moved I also had mattress heater. Now I have a foot bath that I try to used daily that helps. I think the secret is keeping your feet warm at night.

I asked this questions of a co-worker years ago. He cycles lots and gets charlie-horses sometimes and always during the night, it seems. He suggested chewing on about 5 Tums when this happens. I've tried it and it works for me. I don't know if it would work for you too, but getting cramps like that when all you want to do is sleep, but the pain seems like the worst thing ever, make you want to try everything until Something takes the pain away.

Quinine (need a rx, but drug not available in U.S.; have to use a Canadian pharmacy) 100-200 mg. ea. night. Also, and more important, consume one GALLON of water from am to pm. Yes, that's a lot of water! Measure it. The other things listed are all helpful and may be good for some. Also try stretch hosery or socks up to knees to force blood circulation at night. At rest, blood tends to puddle. (Might also sleep with feet eleviated somewhat.) -silky

Maybe PT or swimming?

Hi,I also had very painful cramps. Shared this with chinese medicine practitioner, he recomended Mg Citrate with vit.B6 .The firm who makes them is Veridian. I take 4 capsules a day.Have done that for over an year. Also almost every day do exercises.

Had some cramps, but not near long and painful as i had it before.

Stationary bike 30 mins a day, 5days a week will cure it definitely

NOT true! Although it’s true that exercise will help to retard the Ataxia it is not a cure. I am speaking from experience. I was an athlete all my life and therefore I have been in the gym and doing exercise most of my life. Still do. I’m talking 3-5 times a week. 2 hours at a time. Recently I experienced a Sciatica in my right leg and it has caused an increase in the intensity of my ataxia. By the way I have had Ataxia for over 50 years so I know what I’m talking about. Thank you for your post.

3 Likes

I think I didn’t write that there is any cure; just that my legs are free of cramps after cycling.

Sorry, wrongly worded

No problem. Let that be the worst thing you do in life. LOL