Constipation - Ataxia or not?

Apparently there are degrees of twisted bowel (volvulus), I found someone on another site describing it, but in their case it was actually due to hypothyroidism.

I hope not since I’m also hypothyroid. I HAVE ENOUGH PROBLEMS. :disappointed_relieved:

I’m not much for wonder treatments that claim to cure or make me better. However, I thought I would give this product a try. It is cheap enough for me.
Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to help me. Although, it may benefit others. It may benefit me in ways undetectable.
I simply add the recommended dose of 20 drops to my morning coffee, it has very little taste so it doesn’t ruin my coffee!
I am diagnosed with MSA.
It certainly has no negative side effects, so I will finish the bottle. I won’t just stuff it away in my medicine cabinet with all the other broken dreams!

1 Like

I wrote a post that I had the same results. I really hoped that it worked but alas. Sorry you experienced the same thing.

No worries or regrets. We would never know unless we try.
Amazing discoveries may be made by someone trialing these products. It may be one of us. what does or does not work for one may work for another.

1 Like

A lack of “muscle control” affects the bowel hence this has Ataxia written all over it…

Hohoho… Aren’t we a lucky lot, now I feel I have to join in here as I also suffer from constipation and being a diagnosed celiac had excepted my fate but now reading that the ataxia also contributes has not made my day! I also have tried many different product’s and all work for a certain amount of time. I also eat healthy lot’s of fruit probably not enough green’s try to keep the water intake to daily requirements, fairly active but am lucky to go once a week might be time for me to get thing’s checked out? Your symptoms of constipation, diarrhea and stomach pain are symptoms of celiac disease have you had that checked? Well let’s hope we can all get moving lol

I was originally diagnosed with IBS as doctor ruled out celiac with tests. But during a routine test for cancer, hospital stumbled on a twisted bowel. Doctor agreed that might be cause of IBS symptom. Then discovered ataxia attacks stomach muscles. Doctor knows little really about ataxia beyond the basics :upside_down_face::upside_down_face: so I won’t trouble her about it. The twist and/or the ataxia seem more likely than celiac to me. Who knows maybe ataxia has given me a twisted bowel ??? Government is trying to implement a system whereby rich will live and the poor will die so I’m likely to die anyway. :upside_down_face::upside_down_face: Have you considered that you might have been mis-diagnosed and your problem is actually ataxia? Doctors often know little about ataxia so will look for other possibilities.
PS Very pleased you have a sense of humour. We need one with this stuff.

Oh I defiantly have Celiac’s disease bowel biopsy at 11 mths old, and a lot later and a bit older another procedure confirmed that the lining of the bowels where still flat which is the villi (they are like little tenticals which catch the good stuff) which helps keep the good bacteria in so I loose a lot of goodness out the rear end lol
Well let’s move on! I have recently join this site because I have been diagnosed with ataxia a fact I didn’t mentioned while talking about the above mentioned! Oh and by the way I would never in a million year’s have thought to be talking to a male about such an interesting topic ;-: lol

But where all in the same shitty boat so to speak! lol… sorry must be having a good day amusing myself. Having so many frustrations and health issues and the health systems you have over there must be very difficult for you.

Anyway it’s very nice to meet YOU! It it seems you have a lot more on your plate than I do I wish you the best.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Linda5

I assumed you had ataxia just because you’re in this forum. We’re all have it - lucky us. The same goes for talking to a male about such matters, we all have bowels too. :slightly_smiling_face: I didn’t intend to suggest I had a lot on my plate. Reading through what other people say on this forum, I am very fortunate - so far.

Morning cross eye’s
I hope I didn’t offend I was only say about talking to a male about bodily function because it was a first for me. Of course our bodies do a lot of the same thing’s male or female and any answers, advice or help we can give each other is so beneficial.

As for having a lot on your plate I didn’t me to imply anything negative. I think we all go around in circles as to what’s on out plate at certain time’s. Sometimes it’s overwhelming other time’s its let’s just get on with it! Then there’s time’s when where so sick of it! But your right of course there’s always someone having a harder time when you look around.

I hope you have a good day.

Linda.

No I’m not offended in the least. I was joining your humour. If we don’t see humour and join it then we’ll become … not sure what we’ll become but it won’t be very nice.

I had the pleasure of seeing my neurologist at the world class Movement Disorders Clinic at Toronto Western Hospital.
She has come to the conclusion that I need to see a gastroenterologist. She is making a referral.
Does anyone have any words of wisdom for my visit? What should I ask?
Hopefully he/she can relieve my constant constipation.

:slightly_smiling_face: Just last week I had the pleasure of a similar appointment myself. Although this wasn’t ‘blockage’ related, it was bleeding. In the past, there’s been an Endoscopy (which was clear)…I will point out that although I have a nervous disposition, this was managed by a Throat spray beforehand. And a Sigmoidoscopy, which is what I’m having again next month… My Consultant assures me this can be managed by a few whiffs of gas and air…:joy: I’m always concerned about constipation, as a child my appendix burst, and afterwards my mother dosed me with Liquid Paraffin to avoid constipation… I think about this daily :wink: Until recently, I was taking Psyllium Husk capsules, they seemed to help, and you do need to drink plenty of water. But, Pysllium Husk isn’t suitable for everyone. When you do eventually find something that ‘works’…don’t keep it to yourself :wink:

1 Like

Beryl, I had a Sigmoidoscopy. It’s really not too bad, didnt feel any pain. Much better than a colonoscopy. You have the pleasure😀 of an enema beforehand. I was really scared but one of the least invasive things I have had. Good luck.

:slightly_smiling_face: Thank you for those words of comfort Banana. My previous one was in 2004, and unfortunately I still have vivid memories. I agree with you, I wouldn’t say it was painful, but I felt I was going to explode with the pressure :wink: And, I have a DIY enema to contend with :roll_eyes: xB

I had the gruesome pleasure of severe constipation the other night. It got so bad, we had to call for an ambulance. I landed in emergency at the hospital were I endured 3 enemas, 1 suppository, a glass of Relax-a-Day, and most humiliating of all, the digital removal of hardened stool (removal by hand). I attribute this severe constipation to a period of sedentary lifestyle.
There was a few days were I found myself under extreme muscle paralyzation and could not help but sit in my recliner.
Feeling so helpless and isolated, I knew I was in a great deal of trouble, however I could do nothing.
Normally I can do some basic exercises outlined by my physical therapist, and I really try and eat well. This time constipation got ahead of me.
I occasionally take a Senokot and consume plenty of water.
Thank goodness that’s over (for now).
So getting back to the main question and topic of this thread, Constipation-Ataxia or not?, I attribute my moment of lack of movement to my inability to balance and coordinate, the muscles in my digestive system do not function as they should thus paving a clear path for constipation. So I think they are definitely related.

OUCH!!! Hutchy, what I do to combat constipation [it’s been working fine for quite awhile; hope I haven’t jinxed anything here by saying that]. I take a 200 Mg pill of Solgar Magnesium Citrate twice a day making a 400 total. One in the morning with my other pills and one in the evening [an hour or so before bedtime]. Plus I take a rounded teaspoon of Konsyl or Metamucil [psyillium] twice a day mixed with a liquid. Also drink a glass of water after using it. Again in the morning and later in the afternoon. Make sure you drink at least 8 glasses of water during the day even if you’re not thirsty.

I spend at least 10 minutes sitting on the toilet and it comes. Sometimes, it only takes a few minutes. I say Solgar because that’s the only Mag Cit that works.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I put a radio to listen to in the bathroom while waiting or sometimes take a magazine in with me. Takes my mind off of things if you know what I mean.

1 Like

Thanks Chàs I will try those suggestions

Just know that it takes a few days before it takes effect.

EDIT: Please drink water right from the start.

1 Like