Cystitis

I have burning pain in my penis when I go to the toilet. I’ve had it for longer than I remember. My wife is convinced it is cystitis. I am convinced it is ataxia (a word she has come to hate)
Who would you guess is correct? I realise none of you are professionals - but just a guess?

Hi @cross_eyes! I would encourage you to get it checked out. Any new symptom should ultimately get checked out.

I have psoriatic arthritis, and for months I had a cough and trouble breathing sometimes. I was a bit doctored out, so I ignored it. At a regular checkup with my rheumatologist, I did mention it. As it turns out, I developed asthma. I can (embarassingly) tell you more stories like this. My new rule has become that anything that sticks around, such as what you’re mentioning, should be checked out.

Sharon from ModSupport

1 Like

I completely agree. See a doctor. I have Ataxia and had a similar burning. It was not Ataxia something else. I was given an antibiotic for a short time and the burning disappeared.

EDIT: It was Cipro.

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: Yes, definitely see your GP. I’ve had Cystitis, and I’m cringing at the thought of having it again.
But, I also have spasms in my bladder…urine tests have failed to find any infection, and investigation failed to find a cause.

1 Like

Thanks for all your comments. I ‘saw’ GP today - my wife insisted. All appointments are by telephone due to c-virus and he’s given some anti-biotics but just like Beryl says, it’s happened before. I’ve had tests and they’re negative. In fact all my tests have been pretty negative since 1975. The only thing they seem to have found is that removing my brain cancer left a ‘hole’ which has grown bigger and bigger. I can’t understand why they don’t take this into account. I’ve read that Ataxia can affect the bladder and also the intestines which both happen to me (I think). Anyway, thank you for your advice - I have followed it.

Hey cross_eyes,
I too have a nasty growing in my head and it seems rather common that some medicos like to identify every other symptom or cause to anything other than neuro.

Headaches are a prime example, headaches are a common ailment. But for some of us these aren’t ‘just a headache’ I’ve explained them as ‘bolts of agony sent from the gates of hell’ and I’ve been given no end of diagnosis, from neck issues to eye issues to dental, from diet to activity levels. Only once has a dr said "Well, you’ve had brain surgery, what do you expect…’ (and they were his actual words). I was a bit shocked at his response initially. In hindsight, sadly, it’s been about the clearest answer of them all. The others all wanted to give me their own diagnosis, just another label to add to the list.

I have learnt I have to manage all of this for me. Neuro symptoms can be VERY individual. I’ve explained my symptoms to some medicos and been given ‘THAT’ look, even had one tell me ‘Well, that shouldn’t be happening’ like I’m imagining it. Over the years I have learnt my ‘normal’ (which is far from anything like anybody else’s normal). But if my symptoms vary from my normal, it’s safer I get it checked.

Merl from the Moderator Support Team

1 Like

Merl. That sounds about same as me. Just once a doctor said to me “I wouldn’t be surprised about anything to do with you.” Unfortunately she is a ‘lowly’ GP/family doctor. I wish she were my neurologist. Peter

:thinking: There is something called Neurogenic Bladder…someone in my local group has chronic bladder problems.

Interstitial cystitis (IC)/ bladder pain syndrome (BPS) is a chronic bladder health issue. It is a feeling of pain and pressure in the bladder area. Along with this pain are lower urinary tract symptoms which have lasted for more than 6 weeks, without having an infection or other clear causes.

Copied from https://www.urologyhealth.org

[image]

1 Like

Beryl, you’d make a good neurologist.

As I said yesterday, I’ve seen GP now and he’s given me some anti-biotics, Interestingly though, while my wife is still thinking cystitis and I’m still thinking ataxia, the GP didn’t diagnose anything.

:joy: Posts must be at least 20 characters, but I haven’t anything else to add :wink:

1 Like

If you are on Meds could have something to do with your meds.

1 Like

unless you are hemofrodite, you may have cystitis:)no mate, it all sounds to me like symptoms of sthg wrong with your prostate…little or none it needs investigating.Not a nice experience, just think about your wife going to a gynecologist.so it is not just women who endure embarrassed situations with docs…IN NO WAY, leave it, or ignore it.it needs sortying…or more like a bladder infection.antibiotics sort it in no time.

1 Like

It’s gone now :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: but I feel exhausted :sweat:. This also happened a while ago too and that time, I recovered after a single antibiotic tablet so I’m still finding it difficult to imagine it was cystitis, I think Beryl may be closest with bladder spasms. Ladybird, it’s nothing to do with being or not being hemofrodite.

I doubt it has anything to do with ataxia. I’m totally perplexed as to why it has not been checked out

See a GP first. Playing Google doctor the cause could be any of 7 problems
Google Doctor