Bladdder issues

One of the Problems I have is incontinence. How does everyone deal with that?? Advice please......

Are you female? I was just fitted with a pessary by a urogynocologisst.

My neurologist advised me to be checked by a urologist as not everything may be linked to ataxia. So I did, now I am waiting for an op on my prostate. Best to get everything checked out. Good luck.

My urologist was President Reagan's doctor. He advised me to eliminate all caffeine, (including chcolate), alcohol, and spices from my diet and I am much better! One of his patients nominated him for the Nobel prize for this and he has cured thousands of people.

The Krisiloff Anti-Inflammatory Diet Revolutionby Milton Krisiloff (Feb 13, 2013)

Auto-delivered wirelessly

I do not have this problem, but you should see a doctor to find out if the problem is one symptom of ataxia or if it is not related to it, because the treatment will be different depending on the cause.

Here is a link to some advice from ataxia.org.uk which you might find useful.
http://www.ataxia.org.uk/data/files/tackling_bladder_problems_updated.pdf

Good luck to you

i had an incontinence scare earlier this year. rite-aid carries a men/women super absorbent diaper. the suggestions above are best, though.

started taking VICSACARE and works wonderful for my bladder issues

I saw a urologist, had tests, and my incontinence was due to my ataxia. Therefore, I had TVT surgery a couple years ago and am 80% better. LIke Juditha, I was told to eliminate certain things from my diet, and it really helped! I would suggest you see a urologist as a starting point..., ;o)

the bladder is a muscle and so ataxia causes problems. i use mild bladder tablets from my gp but i know someone worse than me and she has had botox which she says is brilliant. you need to decide how bad you are.

I had Botox twice before surgery, as it didn't work for me ;o( everyone is different, glad it worked for your friend, Mark! ;o)

I have a problem and I had a supra pubis catheter procedure

I had a bladder and partial hystorectomy and the surgeon botched it a left a pocket where urine collects. That is why the diet helps a lot. Be sure to interview 3 doctors/surgeons before yu make choices.

I recently brought up the problem of "leaking' to my Primary Physician. She recommended Vesicare tablets. I haven't been taking them very long, only about 10 days, so, I can 't really recommend the medication as being successful yet . But, I have hopes it may help to take care of the problem I have when laughing, coughing, sneezing, etc. I had initial fears that I wouldn't be able to "go" with this med, but that proved to be not a problem.

see a urologist. I had a urodynamics test which showed a smaller than normal bladder, urine retention, and sphincter wasn't working properly. Botox shots and interstim surgery were mentioned. I tried several meds that didn't work. oxybutynin chloride helped but not like it was supposed to. I'm doing self catherization 3-4 times a day. I had transvaginal mesh surgery in 2009. also ceck for uti or bladder infection. Again, see a Urologist.

He was having problems of not being able to totally evacuate his bladder. We went to a top urologist at Hopkins and he suggested the bag. We went to a local urologist and he found a golf ball sized stone in his bladder. He still has the emptying problem and self-catherizes once or twice a day which is a much better option than the bag for him.

I have this problem too, it’s annoying but not to bad just a few dribbles. I usually go through 2-3 pairs of boxers a day cause of it and on days I only go through 1 pair I’m vary happy.

Much of incontinence is stress related. Kegal exercises help for women. Men can wear incontinence pads and shorts found at the drugstore in all sizes and thicknesses.

I am not sure if my reply is appropriate here...I have a bit of history of bed wetting at night. Mostly after I have had a night terror. Are you having accidents in bed? To help with the wetting, I purchased absorbent surgical pads to protect my bed. I also have purchased adult diapers for women, which I do not feel ashamed of (I used to though). I actually feel much better (happier even) and comforted and can sleep easier when I feel protected by a surgical pad or a diaper.

The advice for seeing a doctor in order to understand the cause for your incontinence is the best advice though. It may not be ataxia related, just how I believe my issue isn't ataxia related either.

Best wishes to you!

rose said:

I saw a urologist, had tests, and my incontinence was due to my ataxia. Therefore, I had TVT surgery a couple years ago and am 80% better. LIke Juditha, I was told to eliminate certain things from my diet, and it really helped! I would suggest you see a urologist as a starting point..., ;o)

Have had issues with incontinence also, Dr did all the tests & when I said it could be related to " Ataxia " she just raised her eyebrows. What is TVT surgery ??