Does anybody have any experience with thiamine supplements?

I just found this article. Could thiamine help us? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3669970/

2 Likes

I Googled this and it said it might help with tingling and numbness in hands and feet. Even if it did nothing else it would be worth trying. Donā€™t you think so? X

I donā€™t think it would hurt to take a supplement. However, it says here better consult with your doctor first. It is possible to have your blood levels checked. However, I recently started taking a supplement and I seem to be doing a bit better! Less tiredā€¦ https://www.livestrong.com/article/367247-vitamin-b1-overdose-symptoms/

:slightly_smiling_face: There is a type of ataxia associated with vitamin B12 deficiency, a symptom is tingling in hands and feet. But, since one of the common ataxia symptoms is ā€˜tinglingā€™, this could only be confirmed by a blood test. Pretty much the same as with Vitamin E deficiency, and CoQ10 deficiency. Iā€™ve always assumed, rightly or wrongly, that one of the basic tests a Neurologist would do, is to rule out any deficiency :thinking: xB

1 Like

I take so many supplements I should rattle :sweat_smile: but there may come a time when I can no longer afford them. I have just stopped PA in the gym at Ā£33 an hour once a week. Anything is worth a try if you can afford it.
A lot of supplements should be taken in mega doses but I could not justify spending so much money. Maybe the relatively small amounts I take are a waste of money but I soldier on in blind faith.

1 Like

Thank you, All! I was only tested for Vitamin E deficiency, which was negative. I am familiar with hyperhomoistinemie, which already required me taking vitamin B6 and B11. Wondering whether this might be a cause for my Ataxia, as I did not take these vitamins for a long time. I now take daily as much supplements as possible, that are supposedly good for the brain & nerve functioning: Vit B1, B3, B6, B11, B12, D, E, Ginkgo and Q10. Anything else you would recommend? I only take the low doses, because I believe thatā€™s enough to get your blood levels up to ā€œampleā€. Patsy, I am not rich, but Iā€™d rather cut down on food or other things than cutting down on my Vitamins! I only go to PT like once a months and she gives me exercises to do at home and keeps checking on me. Just donā€™t cancel your PT all together :slight_smile:

I meant hyperhomocysteĆÆnemiaā€¦

Have you heard ofLDN( natrexone?). It seems to be mainly used for addiction but has also been used for Parkinsonā€™s and MS. I can find no reference to it re. Ataxia