Exercise and Motivation

I flunk motivation when it comes to exercising. I live alone. I have many, many helpful exercises printed out. I am fatigued most of the time and "apathetic," for lack of better term. However, I do believe that if I consistently exercised and moved more, I would not only feel better but would also BE better. Every night I tell myself that tomorrow I'm going to excercise. Every morning I get up and head for the couch!

I have CA, walk with a cane.

How does one get and stay motivated to move the body?

Thanks much for any thoughts and/or suggestions!

I totally understand! I hate exercise myself. I didn't even start out with exercise. I went to physical therapy. I started seeing the improvements in my walking and falling. That motivated me to keep doing the things they showed me. Some of it was exercise but others was just using your core (i.e.- shoulders back and down and lead with your hips). If you try PT make sure they specialize in neurological conditions not orthopedic.

What also helped me get into "exercising" was going to a scheduled class. Yoga, swimming, pilates, etc. If you go to something that is scheduled it's like having an appointment. Not only do you benefit from the class but it is a social thing too so you get to be with other people. I still have a hard time doing exercises at home. Check out your YMCA. Mine has scholarships for those on a fixed income and they also started that you can go to all the fitness stuff without an extra fee as long as you were a member.

The YMCA is very accommodating for people with disabilities. Your cane should be no problem. I've been to a chair yoga class that was just like regular yoga but done with a chair and I've been to swimming classes with people with various disabilities. (you get more exercise from a swimming class than you realize).

It seems like it would be easier if you could be involved with a friend to do exercising for some motivation since you are not one to jump into exercise. I am the same way. I keep thinking I would like to try Tai-Chi. But then I forget about it. Jerry

Thank you, Kay. My neurologist referred me to physical therapy (this was after he told me there is no hope for any improvement and I told him I that I will prove you wrong!). Therapist agreed with me. She said that PT could and would help with my balance and that I would get better (not a lot, but some). After a few weeks of one on one physical therapy, she referred me to a balance class. This helped me ever so much cuz I began to increase my strength w/exercises that began easy and each week progressed to more difficult. Once I could do The Wedding March (albeit not very pretty), I was in 7th Heaven! I could never do any of the exercises that began with standing, feet close together. That just doesn't happen!

I have the print out directions for this program and yet as much as I tell myself that I will get up and stay with it, I don't! I'm real good for 2-3 days, then it's up and to the couch again! I hate, hate, hate this about me!

I will look into the YMCA. Does it matter what "chair" exercises?

Kay said:

I totally understand! I hate exercise myself. I didn't even start out with exercise. I went to physical therapy. I started seeing the improvements in my walking and falling. That motivated me to keep doing the things they showed me. Some of it was exercise but others was just using your core (i.e.- shoulders back and down and lead with yoThaur hips). If you try PT make sure they specialize in neurological conditions not orthopedic.

What also helped me get into "exercising" was going to a scheduled class. Yoga, swimming, pilates, etc. If you go to something that is scheduled it's like having an appointment. Not only do you benefit from the class but it is a social thing too so you get to be with other people. I still have a hard time doing exercises at home. Check out your YMCA. Mine has scholarships for those on a fixed income and they also started that you can go to all the fitness stuff without an extra fee as long as you were a member.

The YMCA is very accommodating for people with disabilities. Your cane should be no problem. I've been to a chair yoga class that was just like regular yoga but done with a chair and I've been to swimming classes with people with various disabilities. (you get more exercise from a swimming class than you realize).

Jerry, what is Tai Chi? I have heard of it but don't have a clue as to what it is. If it is an exercise that must be done standing without any support, then I cannot do it. If it can be done while sitting on a chair or standing and holding on to a chair, then it would probably be a go.

gelu65 said:

It seems like it would be easier if you could be involved with a friend to do exercising for some motivation since you are not one to jump into exercise. I am the same way. I keep thinking I would like to try Tai-Chi. But then I forget about it. Jerry

You might find that once you start exercising regularly, your fatigue won't be as bad. I stay motivated by remembering how awful I feel normally, and that I feel even worse when I don't exercise. You are exactly what you put into yourself, so if you exercise you will begin to see results.

Tai Chi is a great start. There are several youtube videos you can follow while sitting down. Here is just one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRQgXIrkagQ

What about joining your local YMCA or other exercise center? Signing up for group exercise could help keep you motivated. Or maybe keep a calendar so you will be motivated to check off the exercises you do. The hardest part is starting. Things get easier after there! You have so much potential to improve your condition (all of us do!) so just keep moving. Try working out early in the mornings when you have more energy, then you can relax the rest of the day.

It really doesn't matter what exercises you do as long as you can do it and you enjoy it.

Book Lover said:

Thank you, Kay. My neurologist referred me to physical therapy (this was after he told me there is no hope for any improvement and I told him I that I will prove you wrong!). Therapist agreed with me. She said that PT could and would help with my balance and that I would get better (not a lot, but some). After a few weeks of one on one physical therapy, she referred me to a balance class. This helped me ever so much cuz I began to increase my strength w/exercises that began easy and each week progressed to more difficult. Once I could do The Wedding March (albeit not very pretty), I was in 7th Heaven! I could never do any of the exercises that began with standing, feet close together. That just doesn't happen!

I have the print out directions for this program and yet as much as I tell myself that I will get up and stay with it, I don't! I'm real good for 2-3 days, then it's up and to the couch again! I hate, hate, hate this about me!

I will look into the YMCA. Does it matter what "chair" exercises?

Kay said:

I totally understand! I hate exercise myself. I didn't even start out with exercise. I went to physical therapy. I started seeing the improvements in my walking and falling. That motivated me to keep doing the things they showed me. Some of it was exercise but others was just using your core (i.e.- shoulders back and down and lead with yoThaur hips). If you try PT make sure they specialize in neurological conditions not orthopedic.

I hope you find a friend that will do them with you..

I do a regular exercise routine, but I find that it is important to do it in the morning, otherwise, if you put it off till later in the day, it won’t happen.
If you just start with a few stretching exersizes and get into a regular routine, you will find that it’s not so bad.
Also, if you do a routine that is not too strenuous and do the same thing you can train yourself to look forward to it cause you won’t dread it. After awhile you can make it a little more challenging once you are in to a regular routine.