Exoskeleton suit

Has anyone used or had experiences with exoskeleton suits?

I am looking at buying a Cyberdyne HAL lower limb suit and wanted some feedback on them

Never seen one in person, but saw a documentary on the television several months ago...,looked very interesting! My best to you if you buy a suit. Please keep us posted...;o)

Like Rose I heard about this new “suit”, but have no more knowledge about it than what I have seen and read about it. Looks quite futuristic and Ironman like… Promising though! Like many new devices, I am sure they will be less bulky in the future…
Here is a link for those who are unfamiliar with it. http://www.eksobionics.com

http://www.cyberdyne.jp/english/products/LowerLimb_medical.html

Here is the link for the suit Baaartman was talking about.

Looks.extremely expensive. Question can the suit act as a training suit so that one can walk without it one day? Or is it simply an assisted device

Looking at the link provided I don't see this as a solution for Ataxian's on a sustained level. Expensive, clinic type setting, bulky etc.

I have a balance vest. While improvement, slight, for walking even there its use is limited. I can't just leave it on and set in a chair with comfort. Limited where I can wear it I would not dare go in to a busy mall, store like Walmart or worse an airport. I am convinced that I would draw the forces of the authorities. Not the same as the Exoskeleton but suppose you could afford one then one must evaluate the amount of time it would take to put all the contraption parts on and take off. Setting for any length of time in the contraptions seems not to be of use.

Just my take.

Dear pgillenw, I have a balance vest also (BalanceWear) and I wear it everywhere, although if I wore it at the airport, going through security would surely set off alarms because of the metal in the zipper and weights (?),,,,ha! Anyway, like you said, improvement in balance is slight, but I figure it helps me, as I even write/print better while wearing it (what's up with that?). Also, I have some residual effect when I take it off. I have sat in it, my placement of weights is probably different than yours. Whatever works, as everyone is unique..., ;o)

No, but a great idea.

I have not tried or even thought about trying the exoskeleton suit. I didn't even know it existed. I have done some research and found A balance vest can help some ataxia candidates. Google balance wear and check out the website... They even accept some medical insurance. 5ell me what you think, because l am leaning towards trying it out.

I have seen alot of these being demonstrated, one question I have always asked,is how does the mechanism work for someone with lack of balance and co-ordination difficulties - I have yet to have a direct answer !

I have also asked about what happens if the person was to topple and/or fall backwards, only to be told the suit would compensate for this before the fall would happen - I am not convinced.

Also, as mentioned, the very high cost compared to the useful quality of life and the practicality of wearing a pretty cumbersome item (of course as time progresses the size of these Exoskeleons will reduce.

information share The ceremonial opening kick of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Sao Paolo, Brazil, which was performed—with the help of a brain-controlled exo-skeleton—by a local teen who had been paralyzed from the waste down due to a spinal cord injury, was a seminal moment for the area of neuroscience that strives to connect the brain with functional prosthetics.

http://bioengineer.org/what-can-brain-controlled-prosthetics-tell-us-about-the-brain/#prettyPhoto

My answer for you is to check out their website and call and ask questions about your concerns.
I am not an expert ...

Alan Thomas said:

I have seen alot of these being demonstrated, one question I have always asked,is how does the mechanism work for someone with lack of balance and co-ordination difficulties - I have yet to have a direct answer !

I have also asked about what happens if the person was to topple and/or fall backwards, only to be told the suit would compensate for this before the fall would happen - I am not convinced.

Also, as mentioned, the very high cost compared to the useful quality of life and the practicality of wearing a pretty cumbersome item (of course as time progresses the size of these Exoskeleons will reduce.

information share The ceremonial opening kick of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Sao Paolo, Brazil, which was performed—with the help of a brain-controlled exo-skeleton—by a local teen who had been paralyzed from the waste down due to a spinal cord injury, was a seminal moment for the area of neuroscience that strives to connect the brain with functional prosthetics.

http://bioengineer.org/what-can-brain-controlled-prosthetics-tell-u...

Many Thanks, for reply

These questions where made to the person demonstrating from the companies.

The replies were NOT convincing or non-comital (even one of "never thought about someone who had little coordination"