Immune System

Does anyone else have what I would call an 'overactive' immune system? I start to get a cold but within 8 hours it's completely gone. I've been around lots of people who have been really sick but their bugs haven't affected me. Consequently I haven't had a cold since July 2012, which is really unusual for me. I'm not complaining but I do wonder what's going on with my immune function.

Poppy

Hi Poppy, it’s funny you should mention this as my Dad was exactly the same and now I find myself in the same position. My husband and kids can have the most terrible cold ever and it doesnt affect me apart from a bit of congestion and then it disappears before its had chance to progress. I havent had a cold as such for about three years

It is so good that you rarely have cold.I hate getting cold. This winter i got cold two times.Both time it was worse,but the thing is i got it from others.i use home remedies to cure it but these two times i took medicine also.

Gail2014 said:

Hi Poppy, it's funny you should mention this as my Dad was exactly the same and now I find myself in the same position. My husband and kids can have the most terrible cold ever and it doesnt affect me apart from a bit of congestion and then it disappears before its had chance to progress. I havent had a cold as such for about three years

gordon wallace said:

hi poppy

I have mitocondrial disease causing ataxia,i to have never had a cold or the flu since i was diagnosed

in 2012 ,lets hope this continues.

Gail2014 said:

Hi Poppy, it's funny you should mention this as my Dad was exactly the same and now I find myself in the same position. My husband and kids can have the most terrible cold ever and it doesnt affect me apart from a bit of congestion and then it disappears before its had chance to progress. I havent had a cold as such for about three years

Could it be the “law of compensation”? " When a door closes, a window opens" . The positive offsets the negative…

I haven't had a cold or any other illness in years. I used to work as a social worker, therefore, I could be around many ill people. I would always get the flu vaccine (yearly), and still do (I retired, due to ataxia, 8 years ago). I know the vaccine doesn't protect you from every strain of the flu virus, but so far so good for me! I may have ataxia (diagnosed eleven years ago), but am healthy otherwise (knock on something...,ha!).

I haven’t had a cold in years. I think it may be that I take loads of vitamins. Just a thought

No colds seems to be a bit of a theme. The only thing I take is a calcium, magnesium and zinc tablet to counter what the Carbamazepine is doing to me, and I only started that a few weeks ago. I just wish the effects of having gluten would disappear just as quickly instead of hanging around for 5-6 weeks.

The same is for me, no cold in several years, thank you for mention that, please keep every body tell us the good things