International travel

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with international travel to developing countries with dirt roads and not so great conditions and how you've dealt with it? I'm beginning to think I may have taken on too much and am wanting to go home earlier than my trip ends.... I'm here for work but could plausibly come home early and work on what i'm doing here from home. But I think it would hurt my pride to do that. I'm also not sure how much of me wanting to go home is from feeling physically bad or being anxious about being so far away from my doctors, or if something bad were to happen. Advice would be much appreciated.

-Runner

Hi Runner :slight_smile:
Where are you actually working from at the moment? It sounds very much like off the beaten track.

Being away from familiar surroundings can be disorientating anyway, but I always find it worse having Ataxia.

Do you think stress is making you feel fatigued and anxious? Or is it more physical demands?

Personally I think you’ve done exceptionally well in tackling work abroad anyway :- xB

I'm working in Asia in a very remote area. I think I'm missing the comforts of home and my own bed when I feel bad/dizzy/tired/ect. Physically, I can't do much walking around because the roads aren't paved and the dirt roads with several small holes in them aren't easy to navigate. So I kind of feel stuck inside all of the time.

Beryl Park said:

Hi Runner :-)
Where are you actually working from at the moment? It sounds very much like off the beaten track.

Being away from familiar surroundings can be disorientating anyway, but I always find it worse having Ataxia.

Do you think stress is making you feel fatigued and anxious? Or is it more physical demands?

Personally I think you've done exceptionally well in tackling work abroad anyway :- xB

Are you working as part of a team? How long have you been there? You probably are missing home comforts, the environment must be the exact opposite to what you’re used to:-) On the bright side, the work must have appealed to you, otherwise you wouldn’t have considered it in the first place :slight_smile: So there has to have been some pluses.
It’s just occurred to me, are you able to speak the language, do others speak English?
Pace yourself and don’t get overtired, take regular breaks from sitting all the time. Are you able to walk around comfortably indoors if it’s difficult underfoot outdoors?
I had a bit of a do when I went out today. I was in the UK equivilant of Walmart and going upstairs on one of those travelators. It was the first time I’d used one with a rollator. As the incline increased it became obvious I hadn’t put the brakes on the rollator, you can imagine what happened! Fortunately my husband was behind and disaster was averted :slight_smile: xB

Kind of, but it's just me working on a specific project that I could do remotely easily. I've been here for almost one month. I also think I was appealed to the work because the old me (pre sick) loved traveling, and I think I was in a bit of denial about my ability to handle things like I used to be able to do. And I don't speak the language. Inside, I have to go up or downstairs to do anything, so I'm pretty much stuck on one floor to avoid getting too tired from the stairs. I'm considering leaving early and doing the work from home, but my stubbornness is trying to stop me

Beryl Park said:

Are you working as part of a team? How long have you been there? You probably are missing home comforts, the environment must be the exact opposite to what you're used to:-) On the bright side, the work must have appealed to you, otherwise you wouldn't have considered it in the first place :-) So there has to have been some pluses.
It's just occurred to me, are you able to speak the language, do others speak English?
Pace yourself and don't get overtired, take regular breaks from sitting all the time. Are you able to walk around comfortably indoors if it's difficult underfoot outdoors?
I had a bit of a do when I went out today. I was in the UK equivilant of Walmart and going upstairs on one of those travelators. It was the first time I'd used one with a rollator. As the incline increased it became obvious I hadn't put the brakes on the rollator, you can imagine what happened! Fortunately my husband was behind and disaster was averted :-) xB

The old you needs to come to terms with the new you :slight_smile: Adjustments and allowances are the way forward :slight_smile: You’ve taken a big challenge on with this work, although there must have been exhilerating times it’s also inevitably been tiring for you.

Perhaps if you organize the work so that it seems logical to complete the project at home, it would be the sensible route to take :slight_smile:

Making the transition to a gentler pace of life is something I would bet most of us resent. It’s not easy, lots of people feel it’s a sort of bereavement, and there has to be a grieving process in order to come to terms with it. There can’t be many who take it in their stride.

A month is a long time to endure conditions such as you’ve mentioned, now you need a change and a return to familiar surroundings. Give it serious thought :slight_smile: xB

You took the words right out of my mind... thanks a lot for your replies. I really appreciate the help :)

Beryl Park said:

The old you needs to come to terms with the new you :-) Adjustments and allowances are the way forward :-) You've taken a big challenge on with this work, although there must have been exhilerating times it's also inevitably been tiring for you.

Perhaps if you organize the work so that it seems logical to complete the project at home, it would be the sensible route to take :-)

Making the transition to a gentler pace of life is something I would bet most of us resent. It's not easy, lots of people feel it's a sort of bereavement, and there has to be a grieving process in order to come to terms with it. There can't be many who take it in their stride.

A month is a long time to endure conditions such as you've mentioned, now you need a change and a return to familiar surroundings. Give it serious thought :-) xB