Loss of voice after op

I had. A illostomy reversal on 8th may. Since the op I ended up in ICU. For several weeks and can no longer speak.i feel worse than when I first had stroke.i am shaking more also is this normal or has my voice gone for good there is no medical reason

Hello,

I have no medical knowledge about ileostomy , but I doubt there is a direct relationship between an ileostomy reversal and the loss of your voice.

The only thing I can think of is that if you have been intubated during the surgery and your stay in ICU, your larynx could have been injured and this, from what I have read is not unusual and can cause hoarseness or voice loss.

I cannot tell you whether it will come back or not. Check with your doctors if they can check your larynx and see if there are scar tissues there…

Good luc and best wishes to you!

Hi Kim - I, too, initially lost my voice which was extremely frustrating when trying to communicate with others with an alphabet board.

I eventually regained my voice after a few weeks after my intubation and ICU (thanks Cicina - had no idea of the possible why) and consider myself fortunate, and know not to take speaking for granted, no matter how difficult it is for others to figure out what I’m saying sometimes.

Everyone’s different, and I’m sending good vibes your way, especially in this time of not knowing.

I agree with Cinica and Glitter on Butterflies. When my daughter was 3 years old ( she is now 28, soon to be 29) she was intubated due to a bad case of the croup, as well as a strep infection. She was in ICU for several days and when tube was removed, she had lost her voice. It eventually returned. The explanation for this was due to intubation. My best to you...,;o)

Thankyou

Cicina said:

Hello,
I have no medical knowledge about ileostomy , but I doubt there is a direct relationship between an ileostomy reversal and the loss of your voice.

The only thing I can think of is that if you have been intubated during the surgery and your stay in ICU, your larynx could have been injured and this, from what I have read is not unusual and can cause hoarseness or voice loss.

I cannot tell you whether it will come back or not. Check with your doctors if they can check your larynx and see if there are scar tissues there…

Thankyou

KimKempy said:

Thankyou

Cicina said:
Hello,

Thankyou

KimKempy said:

Thankyou

KimKempy said:
Thankyou

Cicina said:
Hello,