Mascara

All lady's with Ataxia. I need some help, or tricks on how to use mascara. I haven't used it in a year. Because I can not get it on. Or is it just me?

Hey Lori - don’t know if this is an option or not, but you can make an appointment at a salon, and someone else can dye your eye lashes for you. Also, depending on your coloring and abilities, you might consider a clear mascara.

Hi Julie, I have black lashes. Just cant apply it. My hands just cant do the motions to put it on.

Try eyelash extensions, I've had them for some years. I gave up trying to apply mascara a long time ago...

Hi Anna, What kind do you use?

No idea of the brand name...The beautician made the choice for me. I just explained the situation to her. Quite normal looking though, medium length.

Thats what I really meant. Did you go in and have it done. Or were they drug store kind. If you had them put on. That would be worth it.

Is clear mascara. Aiviable in shops x

Julie A. said:

Hey Lori - don’t know if this is an option or not, but you can make an appointment at a salon, and someone else can dye your eye lashes for you. Also, depending on your coloring and abilities, you might consider a clear mascara.

Hi loz, I cant do the motion to even put it on

Yes, the beautician (no drug store) took care of everything: however, still I don't know the procedure over there. The lashes have to be "checked and treated" every month (although for some people every second month is okay). Definitely worth trying, I am really satisfied with them.

Wanted it for me
I can’t use mascara as I get black eyes
Thanks for replying Lori x

Hi LOZ-clear was available at Target, and I’m glad Anna mentioned extensions. I was also thinking false eyelashes-as long as someone else put them on :)-but they can be complicated once on anyway.

You can also just get them tinted at the beauty salon. Eye brows too. I think I may do the extensions as well because while I can do it, sort of,...putting my mascara has to be one of my hardest tasks for the day. I can make a huge mess of it!!! Very hit or miss as to whether I will look better afterwards or have two black eyes.

Tried for Christmas Eve what a mess I made of my face
Not easy to remove
I’ll tell you
Xx

I use a 9 x mirror, it could be more than that.

Thanks x

I sit at the table with my elbow on the table and the mascara brush horizontal in my hand. Then I bring my head down to the brush and flutter my eyelashes on the brush. I use a cotton bud with clenser on to mop up the smudges if needed. Its doubly difficult for me because I cant see without my glasses so I also use a shaving mirror that is magnified.

I’ve always had a hard tim applying makeup but I love it.

Try leaning forward on a table and resting your elbows on it to steady arms and use your elbow as a pivot. Sometimes (on a particularly bad day) I’ll use my left hand to hold my right wrist to keep it still. Its also easier to move your eyelids more than hands, like placing the mascara wand at the base of eyelashes and blink your eyes to move it up the eyelash. Lower eyelashes are a bit of a challenge, but if i move slowly I can usually do it moving my head sometimes more than my hands to keep as steady as possible.

Clear mascara is a good option to if black just isn’t working…

Boy I know about the black eyes.

Thanks everyone. I will try it all. Thanks again!

Lori