Medication for Depression

In the last year I was hospitalized to treat my depression. During this time I was prescribed an anti-depressant Effexor. Initially it did help, however, I started to notice major side effects. Tinitus, diarrhea, etc. I had my physician help me to stop taking this medication. The side effects were worse than the depression. Anyone have experiences/stories to tell about medications side effects, specifically Effexor?

:flushed: Thatā€™s all you need, side effects :roll_eyes: I used to take Sertraline. It was prescribed when I was first diagnosed in 2011, I was in a very bad place and it was helpful :slightly_smiling_face: I didnā€™t notice any bad side effects, other than putting on weight :expressionless:

Last summer, I wondered if Iā€™d actually feel better if the dose was increased but, around the same time my Neurologist suggested I try Acetazolamide for vertigo (brought on by turning over in bed). Bad timing, I was worried they might clash :expressionless: So I stopped taking Sertraline just in case. This went against anything Iā€™d ever advise anybody else to do, stopping medication abruptly is ill advised.

Anyway, Acetazolamide was very helpful :+1: and Iā€™ve managed to survive the ā€˜brick wallā€™ after coming off Sertraline :slightly_smiling_face: Although I still cannot lose weight :grimacing:

Finding something that creates a ā€˜happy balanceā€™ for depression isnā€™t easy :smirk: xB

2 Likes

I was on lyrica for a while and got into a depression where I felt like crying so I stopped the med. I read where lyrica can cause suicidal thoughts.

1 Like

:thinking: Being depressed does leave your mind open to all sorts of thoughts. Itā€™s when you canā€™t actually completely suppress them that expert help is essential. At one time, depression used to make me cry but afterwards I felt better, it was like releasing a safety valve :slightly_smiling_face: I couldnā€™t talk to anyone about my feelings, now I realise doing just that would probably have helped. Iā€™m inclined to be more frank these days, Iā€™ve found bottling worries and grievances only makes them ferment :wink: xB

1 Like

Realizing, treating and overcoming depression certainly can be tricky and complex. It would seem at times healthcare professionals and family/people just canā€™t get a handle on it. I suppose one never really knows how we as individuals will react to certain medications to treat depression. We had to monitor my mental situation closely as well, to make sure I remained stable. My physician was concerned for my mental heath while reducing my medication. I still feel better without the meds. Itā€™s been two or three months. I canā€™t help wondering, if occasionally, the medication made my ataxia symptoms worse.

Try a new one called ā€œEndepā€ (amitriptyline). Iā€™ve tried Effexor >> yuk!
Endep also helps my back painā€¦try it! much <3 Ozzy

1 Like

Before my ataxia diagnosis I spent many years on antidepressants and anti anxiety meds. Most would work for awhile but then Iā€™d have to change to another one. A couple of years ago I decided to stop everything except meds for sleep-and those still had to be changed every few months. My psychiatrist monitors these meds and my depression/anxiety. Iā€™m doing ok right now. Ataxia causes my anxiety to climb on bad days but so far itā€™s manageable.

1 Like

Could it be there is an issue with longevity/efficacy with some mediations as well? I never thought of this. Thanks for posting.

Many years before I was diagnosed with ataxia, when I was still working, I tried Effexor for one month. It was as if I was walking around but in a coma the whole time! I was unusually sleepy at every hour of the day, which did not work well with my job as an administrative assistant. I finally refused to take it any more. It did cause tinnitis but I donā€™t remember it causing diarrhea. Hope this is helpful info.

1 Like

It is always possible for the body to learn to ā€˜tolerateā€™ medications over a period of time, and at that point do we need the dose adjusted, a change of medication or simply wait and see how things are without any medication :thinking:xB

1 Like

Hi Hutchy,

I am enclosing a link to a non-profit website that gives disinterested research into many drugs. You can find Effexor on the site using the search option. I am also enclosing a link to a meta-analysis of Effexor done by the British Journal of Psychiatry.

https://rxisk.org/

Another useful and disinterested source of information is the Cochrane Group: www.cochrane.org/

It is probably wise not to take any medication without first researching the benefits and the risks using information from reliable sites. Information provided by the manufacturer is usually unreliable.

best wishes

1 Like

I am on Effexor and Iā€™ve noticed the balance problems caused by my ataxia have been worse since starting, I have been on many antidepressants but I have yet to find one that works well for me and my body. I donā€™t know if that is from my FA or just my body in general.

1 Like

:smirk: Inevitably, there always seems to be a certain length of time before the body adjusts to a different medication. Mostly itā€™s something we come to accept, grit our teeth and hang in there. But, if the medication is causing concern as regards to safety (worsening balance), it could be a good idea to keep in close contact with the person who prescribed it. Itā€™s possible the actual dosage canā€™t be tolerated, or you just have a low tolerance for this specific type of medication. Or, because you have FA, and may be on several medications, there could be an interaction with one of them :thinking: xB

1 Like