Help please!

I need help. I wanted to go on a antidepressant because my kids said I was mean. And I just don't want to lose everything because I'm snotty. My new Gp doctor put me on 10 mg. of Escitalopram. Ive been on it for 4 days. I am not functioning. I cant get out of bed or off the couch. I am dizzy. And can not walk. I think it due to ataxia. I know some of you are on antidepressants. I need to know what will not work against ataxia? Thanks!

Do you take the medicine at night or in the morning? Some antidepressants are taken at night. Might check with your doctor about symptoms. Also check with drugstore about side affects of your particular med. I had a friend that was sleeping all day, couldn't stay awake, etc and come to find out she was taking her antidepressant (Zoloft) in the morning. She switched to taking it at night and did much better. Check with the doc and or druggist and see what they say.

This is a really tough time of the year if you have depression due to being indoors more and less light etc.

Found this on the net.....

http://www.medicinenet.com/escitalopram/page2.htm

SIDE EFFECTS: The most common side effects associated with escitalopram are agitation or restlessness, blurred vision, diarrhea, difficulty sleeping, drowsiness, dry mouth, fever, frequent urination, headache, indigestion, nausea, increased or decreased appetite, increased sweating, sexual difficulties (decreased sexual ability or desire, ejaculatory delay), taste alterations, tremor (shaking), and weight changes. Tell the doctor immediately if you notice worsening depression/other psychiatric conditions, unusual behavior changes (including possible suicidal thoughts/attempts), or other mental/mood changes (including new/worsening anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, irritability, hostile/angry feelings, impulsive actions, severe restlessness, very rapid speech). Be especially watchful for these symptoms when a new antidepressant is started or when the dose is changed.

If we took any notice of possible side effects listed on leaflet, we wouldnt take anything!

I think taking any calming or relaxing drugs is always best done in late afternoon unless you need to go out.

Even pills to lower blood pressure are best taken late in the day. I read this somewhere and seems good advice to me.

For me wii fit exercises in the morning work best - particularly the stretching ones - it does take me 30 minutes but better that than lolling around and feeling depressed.

I'm still struggling with getting myself out of the door.. not due to the weather either.. I am just the same all year round. My son says I need a buddy but I am not keen on that idea. I have a husband but he is happy to stay home.

x

I take Endep and it has not made my Ataxia worse. It took me 10 days to get used to it though, I was very nauseous and almost gave up until I rang the chemist and he said hang in for two weeks. I agree taking it at night if you are tired is good, I take mine at night. If you can give it a bit more time, your tiredness should get better, if not then try another type of antidepressant. Endep works better for me as it is known to reduce headaches. Lexipro, which is another name for your brand, didn't do a lot for me, but always speak to your Dr before you make any changes.

Yes I agree, it's a personal reaction. I can't take diamox it affects my mood in such a bad way, but this drug works wonders for others who have EA Type 2!!!!

Patsy said:

If we took any notice of possible side effects listed on leaflet, we wouldnt take anything!

I think taking any calming or relaxing drugs is always best done in late afternoon unless you need to go out.

Even pills to lower blood pressure are best taken late in the day. I read this somewhere and seems good advice to me.

For me wii fit exercises in the morning work best - particularly the stretching ones - it does take me 30 minutes but better that than lolling around and feeling depressed.

I'm still struggling with getting myself out of the door.. not due to the weather either.. I am just the same all year round. My son says I need a buddy but I am not keen on that idea. I have a husband but he is happy to stay home.

x

I take Zoloft and clonippin. But nothing helps like good news. Zoloft reqruires food before--ideally a starch. Then you wont feel nauseated. Good luck.

Hi Lori!
Well, we all know some anti depressants work well without making ataxia symptoms worse. The trick is to find one that suits you and that can be first time lucky, or not.
I felt I’d hit rock bottom when I started to take Sertraline. It took a few weeks to kick in and make my mood
better but the good thing was, no nagging side effects, for me anyway.
Two years later and I’m still on the minimum dose of 50mg, which I take at night. There have been times when I’ve been tempted to ask for the dose to be increased but so far I’ve resisted and gritted my teeth till the low mood has passed.
It could just be that the medication itself is too strong, something milder might be better tolerated? xB

I take 40 mg of Citalopram in the mornings.Nothing seems to affectt m`y ataxia.I do remember January being bad for mood.

Hi, sorry you are having a hard start to this med. I have been on Welbutrin for about 15 years, long before my Ataxia diagnosis. I remember not feeling well when I first started this med and the first month was very hard, but ever since I have stabilized. It is important with these med to take them for about a month before you decide they work or don’t work and try to take at the same time daily. I also remember being dizzy and nausea for first 3 weeks then slowly I started feeling better. Now I am stable and the only time I start having issues is when I have forgotten my meds. I have been stable most of the fifteen years. I had one time about 7 years ago where I got unstable due to too much personal stress, so I try not to take on too much. I am now on the highest does I can take of Welbutrin so there will come a time soon when changes will need to be made. Everyones system reacts different to meds so it is lucky when you find the riggt combo. Good luck and wait it out if you can.

Oh by the way…I am much much nicer now I am on meds. My daughter refures to it as pre-med mom and post-med mom, all around a whole different person. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

mminm CORRECTION

Now in rereading this blog, I am reminded that I take Setraline too-- called here Seranda or Lustral. I take 200 grams per day and one Clonnopin-- called Clonex here-- maybe that's zoloft in the USA--- at night. To be honest, I don't think the Setraline has any effect on me or my mood. I once or twice tried to kick the Clonex, and was engulfed by anxieties. Mind you before this CA saga, I never took anything (just an aspirin for headache here and there.) The Clonex makes me sleepy. Something is causing me to gain weight.

Thanks everyone. The doctor is starting me low with the sertraline which is zolft. I hope it works. I am making everyone unhappy. Thanks again! And just some FYI. Im on reading everything. But typing is getting hard for me. Thanks again

Lori

Lori, DON'T let ataxia win, be strong and enjoy your life, go out as often as you can you are not alone we are here for you.

Thanks Betty. I did meet a wonderful guy who makes me go out. He helps with everything. He even walks in the lady's bathroom with me if I need him to. We just had my family over for the holidays and he did almost everything even the cooking and clean up. Thats why I want an anti depressant so I don't mess things up. with my bad attitude.

Hi Lori,

I decided to go and see the gp in November because of my depression (ataxia and relationship breakdown). I was prescribed 20 mg Citalopram, these are very subtle you almost don't notice the turn around. I do agree that this time of year is difficult for us, especially Christmas time.

Anyway please stay strong, I know it's tough, but we are all here for you.

Martin

Hi Lori, I've been taking Sertraline (Zoloft) for about 19 years. I originally started taking it as I was born with an arrythmia and was on Inderal. A side-effect of Inderal is depression. Eventually I had heart surgery to repair the arrythmia, was feeling better, then found out my husband had terminal cancer. Therefore, my doctor thought I should stay on it. My husband died, and I continued to raise our 12 and 14 year old children. Then, 11 years ago I was diagnosed with ataxia. As you know ataxia can cause depression, so I'm glad I'm on it. Most of the time, I've taken the therapeutic dose of 200 mg in the am (tried taking it at night but couldn't sleep...,everyone is different). A lesser dose doesn't work for me. I tried going off it several years ago and started to fall back into depression. Takes some time to have positive effects (at least it did for me), but I've had no adverse side-effects. Hope you'll feel better soon! ;o)

Dear Lori,

The 2 most important things that I can say to you or anyone (like me) who suffers from depression are these:

1. No matter how you feel or how things seem, YOU ARE NOT ALONE! There is always someone to reach out to for help, don't be embarassed or ashamed about how you feel. Nobody want's to suffer this way and there are people who care about you - even if they are just internet voices like my own.

2. Feelings have an I.Q. of zero. Your feelings don't think or plan what they are going to do, they just happen to show up as they get the urge. You have to keep telling yourself "My emotions don't own me, I have an intellect to balance the scales. When depression kicks me in the gut and makes things seem so bad I have to accept that they don't really know a whole lot and forgive them. When you are clear headed, try to write a list of what you often feel bad about and write down the "truth" that your intellect knows as fact. When you are going down into bad feelings, break out that list and tell your emotions that they are wrong.

I have had depression a long time. Who knows why I have it as opposed to anyone else but I can't control that. I have been on several different antidepressants over the years as sometimes I start to become 'immune' to them. There is no best prescription and sometimes it takes a balanced combination of different medicines to get the brain back in balance. Be honest with your doctor, see a councelor if you need to - take care of yourself. You matter. The fact that I am spending time typing this is proof that you matter.

Get the help you need and make sure you life isn't about your depression or your ataxia but about YOU. Be the best 'you ' that you can be and you will make a difference in peoples lives. Knowing your story tells me that there is another person out there struggling just as I am, so you have already made a difference in at least one life. Keep going. Keep your chin held high. I wish you the best health possible in the new year and beyond. I hope I haven't mistyped anything - I keep doing that and not seeing it.

Best wishes, Mark

Well said, Mark! ;o)

My neurologist just changed my antidepressant from Zoloft to Venlafaxine. Was on Zoloft for 13 years. The Venlafaxine has helped me with my daily mild headaches. I also take Diamox. Have EA2. My depression (had this long before diagnosed with Ataxia) is under control and I don't get the same side effects that I did with Zoloft (fatigue/tiredness). This is something you will have to discuss with your doctor. But I am happy with the Venlafaxine 30 mg.