Muscles in my leg hurts

hi I want to ask, would Ataxia affect the muscles in the legs? I noticed when I'm out walking the muscles In my legs hurt, is it time for me to get a cane to help with stability?

When i am tired they hurt walk slow with a cane, is what i have to do and stop eat a (MARS).and go.

I find that it is more effort than pain but legs do hurt when cold. Muscles get really stiff too and sometimes go rigid causing me to trip over. Other times my knee gives way and I hit the ground! Much better since using two canes [Fischer sticks].

Patsy

Patsy, I am responding to your knees giving out. Same here. I dont think its muscle weakness in my case, But mostly on stairs as I start to raise up. How about you? SW

Patsy said:

I find that it is more effort than pain but legs do hurt when cold. Muscles get really stiff too and sometimes go rigid causing me to trip over. Other times my knee gives way and I hit the ground! Much better since using two canes [Fischer sticks].

Patsy

I suffer with leg and knee pain. I read somewhere that muscle pain especially in legs,knees and especially the calves is a symptom of Ataxia. I have also had two episodes of spasticity in my feet. God that really hurt and don’t want another one. I find massage helps.

Hi Randy, I was diagnosed with Sporadic Cerebellar Ataxia 10 years ago, and 3 years ago I started using a cane, to prevent falls. I do agree with Patsy though, 2 walking sticks (trekking poles) would give more stability. When I go walking, I use 2 trekking poles. Anyway, yes I do have muscle pain, although it's not NEARLY as bad as it use to be, as I take 600 mg of CoQ10 (300 mg am, 300 mg pm) daily. I take a statin drug for high cholesteral, and originally started taking CoQ10 for a side effect of achy muscles (muscles make CoQ10 i believe). My neurologist upped the amount to 600 mg. Also, I stretch my muscles and do exercises for strength and balance each day, as well as attend physical therapy 2 days weekly. My theory is that muscles tend to ache and get tight due to weakness and gait. And age compounds this, as I'm 59 years young...,ha! Of course, always check with you doctor before taking anything! My best to you...,;o)

The only time my legs do hurt is when I do not take my arthritis pills. I was diagnosed in my late 20's. I don't get pain from my ataxia. Mine is either arthritis or my bulging disc. But the ataxia does make it impossible to walk. Just Me!

Hi, yes they hurt a lot. but what is working for me, every day I walk 1 hour at the park. when I don't walk they become more stiff.

hi Rose

agree absolutely...........I have an excellent NHS physio who has been studying ataxia. As I understand it, ataxia per se does not cause leg pain. However our way of walking (puppet-like etc) will eventually result in severe discomfort. He has given me excercises to strengthen my core muscles but says it will take a long time. I'm 73 this year and t6here is no way I could use walking poles. But a rollator is fabulous, with attitude!!!

love and light

S-J

yes some leg pain, water aerobics, stretching helps alot - do daily if possible. use a rollator so as not to fall.

thanks everyone for the suggestions, now I have to look up what a rollater is

I have the cold weather thing too Patsy.

Patsy said:

Patsy

It took me awhile to make the decision to use a cane. The embarrassment of having people think I was drunk had to get enough to outweigh the ego. But I do much better with it. And people generally are more generous and forgiving of stumbles.

Generally, any time I have any muscle pain, it's because of the spastic ataxia. I have the usual paints and then the various and sundry type that will hurt for awhile for no explainable reason and the disappear later.

randy said:

Yes, Willis, I resisted using a cane as I had an "I can do it" attitude (ego issue). I fell while out one day, and really injured my back (micro-tears). I started using a cane (when I leave my home) straight away after that fall, and have never looked back So far, so good! Also, people I don't even know are so kind, holding store doors open for me, etc. Now I have a "better safe than sorry" attitude...,ha! ;o)

Hi Randy, it is a four wheel walker. In Australia we call it a wheelie walker. cheers

randy said:

My legs are restless at night when I try to sleep.

Hi,
My leg hurts too, pain in the ankle, calves, and knees. I can just walk 20 steps with a walker having wheels in the front. I get exhausted and would sit! I do PT thrice a week, and also take acupuncture twice a week. I am slowly gaining strength in my legs. The main problem is knee buckling, so unable to climb stairs. Foot drop in both the legs compounding my problem. But I fight and maintain a positive attitude. Stay strong always!

So do mine only mine are very painful. My arms are the same. they feel like they need stretching. My hands look like they are spastic. I ran out of Oxycotin the night before last and it all came back with a vengeance . It took 3 sleeping pills be for I finally went to sleep.

Hi randy,
This sounds similar to my experience. My physiotherapist explained it being my change in walking with a different gait. The ache was because the wrong muscles were becoming involved in me walking and she gave me exercises to strengthen the muscles that were wasting as a result. This does help. I began walking with a stick when out, primarily for safety but also to let others know that I was disabled and to give me room. It’s actually less embarrassing as it was obvious I wasn’t drunk. Walking with a stick does cause back and shoulder pains. I now take a load of painkillers but still get about and always try to get a walk in.
All the best.

1 Like