Numbness

You know when the neurologist runs a sharp instrument on the bottom of your feet to see if you have feeling there? My feet have always felt that - now I am experiencing some numbness on the soles of my feet - especially when I cross my legs. Does anyone experience this? What is it called and what is causing this? I only get this sensation sometimes, not always. thanks for the input.

Yes I get this too .. plus I cant tell if I have crossed my legs or ankles without looking at them. I sometimes try to stand with ankles crossed - luckily I am so slow and careful, I dont actually fall.

Patsy

Hello I get numb feet quite alot doesn't matter if I am sitting or standing, I try to keep myself moving to try to avoid the numbness I have just learn from it now as still a big learning curve.

Wendy

I have a lot of numbness plus tingling and stabbing pain. I have peripheral neuropathy, plus I am told some lesions on my spinal cord. Like Patsy I often have to check visually where my limbs are before I move them. Driving can be really difficult on my bad days because I can't feel which pedal I on.

I had my car converted to hand controls mostly because of spasticity in my right leg - really pleased that I did as driving is such a pleasure now.

If you have conversion to hand controls, make sure you ask about extension for indicator controls too. I paid £500 for conversion then when I asked about indicators they wanted to charge another £100. I did get help with funding through Ataxia UK charity.

Patsy

Hi Faye Mays, I get that a lot. When I cross my legs I think I must be pressing on a vein or something because when I uncross my legs the feeling comes back with pins and needles added. What happens me a lot also is my foot goes right stiff and cramp like. It causes me severe pain for two or three minutes before it eases off. Do you ever get that? My kids think it's funny because my big toe goes out to the side about an inch and a half when it happens. I don't know what it is called but if I find out from my physio I'll let you know. I hope it doesn't affect you to much. Sometimes my hands go numb as well. Keep an eye out for that if it starts happening. I think myself it must have something to do with the nerve endings. I take a B12 injection once a week to help steady the nerves. It might help you to.I find it good. I also take Lyrica to ease the nerves in the night time.Ihope you find something that works for you. Good luck.

Not sure of the difference between spasticity and cramps - http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-spasticity.htm

Googling this subject gives explanations that are quite complicated to understand.

My neurologist prescribes Baclofen for me and that seems to do the trick but I also take magnesium supplements and multi B vitamins.

Patsy

Hi Faye Maysj,
As I use a bar stool to cook, cut veggies, I am on it for 3 hrs, when I get numbness, tingling in both my legs. While getting down I am just unable to put my feet on the ground for there is some kind of an electric shock like feeling from my hip, preventing me from talking the next step. Then I pat my back and stay still supporting and then I get back to normal. I do my exercises, but have not found any improvement as far as the above discomfort is concerned! I am on Vitamin supplements and take homeopathy for disc bulge and I find a lot of improvement with my back,pain. B12 tablets can help you a lot for numbness and tingling.

Hi Faye, I have gotten that feeling from time to time but it's much much less now and I'm actually amazed that it can happen for me now. That I have finally goten some control over it happening now.

Yesterday I had it happen to me. I used to just feel the pain and try to lay flat and realized that didn't work out. It actually seemed to make it last longer!

What I did yesterday (because now I have new thoughts to help me with symtoms) I streched it a lot for almost 30 mins. Then I conscienly kept thinking that I needed to put my weight into my feet so they are flat. I actually had to look at them to make sure I was doing that because they didn't want to lay flat I had to really work on it. Then I conscienly walked it out outside along with putting Arnica Gell on my legs feet and lower back where the nerve comes from. After my first application I let it dry then applied it again very liberly. It effected my siatic nerve a bit too!

Today I can tell I had an episode but I don't let it stop my streching or walking so it's so much better. Now I feel as if I have a tool that works for me! I'm thrilled that I found a nautral one hope you will find one that works for your body that you don't have to rely on a pill something that is natural too! :0)

@ Fran the Man...the way you described what happens to you is EXACTLY what happens to me. I too am now on Lyrica and it helps. I am so glad that someone else experiences this. Sometimes, I would think I was crazy thinking, "Did my toe just move on its own?" @ Everyone else...lots of validation and good information!

I have peripheral neuropathy in my hands (like JC), especially my right one, but legs and feet are fine. I find stretching and exercise helps, as I assume it gets blood circulation moving, although I don't know for sure. It helps me, so I keep doing it...ha! ;o) Trial and error for this "mystery" ataxia! Thinking of you all...

I have peripheral neurophathy as well. Mine feels like a couple of things.

1. I get hot electrical pain in small spots (size of a coin) just under the surface of my skin. That last for a few minutes. Then it moves to a different spot on me. This goes on all day long. I take Klonopin for it. It has helped enough, so I can at least sleep at night.

2. I also have what's referred to as "Stocking and Glove" paresthesia. It feels like I'm wearing socks even when I'm not. It's very weird! I don't have it so much in my hands.

3. If my hands get even slightly cold my fingers they turn white then blue and hurt...a lot. It's called raynaud's disease. I use hot pads to take food out of the freezer.

Ask you doctor.

I have numbness on the pads of my feet occasionally . Weird feeling, like having a lot of socks on. My first neurologist didn't have a clue - still don't about anything. New dr and I haven't gone there yet.

My husband just reminded me that I get that same test ever time I see my Nero every year (now it's moved to every two years). My last visit my Dr told me that clearly I am doing much better with my reflexes, etc than previous tests. He said keep up what your doing because it's making a noticable diffrence.

I atribute it to streching more and getting the blood flow to those area's along with oxygen. I visualize (focus on) everything that is good that I eat going to that area when I strech or work out!

Yes, it does help to exercise and stretch etc. I try to do wii fit exercises every morning and passive pedaller in afternoon - I have also joined tai chi class once a week but dont seem to be able to get into the habit of practising tai chi in between classes.

It's difficult to stay motivated isnt it ? So many other things to do and everything takes four time as long as it used to. Plus I shall be 70 on 21st. I feel I have slowed down progression by encouraging my body to cope with the ataxia but you cant hold back the tide forever can you?

I have banged my ankle yesterday [inside] and it is feeling very sore :(

Great to share on here though - take care, Patsy x

I get tingling and pins and needles in my feet a lot but I have also had the cramp thing in my foot where the big toe sticks out in an odd position. I'm not surprised your kids find it funny if it wasn't causing so much pain when it happened I would have laughed myself.

Fran the man said:

Hi Faye Mays, I get that a lot. When I cross my legs I think I must be pressing on a vein or something because when I uncross my legs the feeling comes back with pins and needles added. What happens me a lot also is my foot goes right stiff and cramp like. It causes me severe pain for two or three minutes before it eases off. Do you ever get that? My kids think it's funny because my big toe goes out to the side about an inch and a half when it happens. I don't know what it is called but if I find out from my physio I'll let you know. I hope it doesn't affect you to much. Sometimes my hands go numb as well. Keep an eye out for that if it starts happening. I think myself it must have something to do with the nerve endings. I take a B12 injection once a week to help steady the nerves. It might help you to.I find it good. I also take Lyrica to ease the nerves in the night time.Ihope you find something that works for you. Good luck.