Nursing home

i have ataxia from sca2 and am 67. the only problem i have is walking (use a walker.

i am doing financial planning for my wife and daughter.what are the chances i will go into a nursing home and will probably lose my assets to he state?

Find a good lawyer who specializes in estate planning

I put all my assets in a trust in my spouses name, it protects them from the state.

Trying to figure this one out myself.

kathy, what happens if he dies first?

Kathy G said:

I put all my assets in a trust in my spouses name, it protects them from the state.

Look into putting everything in a trust. I also think Jack is right look into finding a lawyer.

It’s a she. But in answer to your question, everything in put in a contingency trust administered by our pre-chosen administrator.

mas said:

kathy, what happens if he dies first?

Kathy G said:

I am 80 yrs old and I use mainly forearm crutches and a walker. I believe I would crawl on the floor to get things done before I went to a convalescent home I worked maintenance in one in the eightys and saw too much. if you have someone who could visit you often enough to find out if you are getting good care is imperitive I think. I wont describe what can go on but you should research very very thoroughly any places near you or even conv. homes in general.

I agree gelu65. Fright on.

I meant Right on

I wrote a reply earlier but it went into cyberspace and disappeared. I wanted to be sure and reply to John. John, please get advice from an attorney. Laws are different in each state. Bruce and I are in Idaho and laws are quite different here and most of the laws are too complicated for regular people to understand. I was trying to get Medicaid for Bruce to pay for a nursing home. In order to do that we had to " spend down" our assets to a certain level. It was a long, painful experience. We also had to create a specific trust which is a law in this state. I won’t go into the whole story.

John, it sounds like you are in good shape right now and hopefully you will never need a nursing home. Most do not understand ataxia at all and many are not very good. I could not get them to give Bruce the main treatment that he needed and that was physical therapy. If I was not around he was often ignored by the staff. I was there day and night and the staff was not up to par… I waited too long to retain an attorney to be of much help so don’t make the same mistake. Most insurance even Medicare do not pay a lot of nursing home expenses. Nursing homes here cost around $9,000 per month and that does not include medication.

Bruce had cerebellar ataxia and it progressed very quickly. Sometimes I even question the ataxia diagnosis. His respiratory system became seriously compromised and he passed away in July. He will always be my soulmate. Please anyone who reads this, don’t be discouraged. This was a very different case and very fast. I believe with more physical therapy he wouldn’t have gone downhill so quickly. We fell through the cracks of the US medical system. How I wish there was a way to get more money for research into this horrible disease. I wish we could do what millions did for ALS research.

Please everyone stay mentally strong and always demand therapy. I’m afraid you will also have to educate the medical people around you.

Sending love and hope to everyone. My husband was the bravest man I have ever known. God bless you all.

Zoe

Sorry for your loss Zoe.

Another thing you must be very careful about is if you cannot communicate is when they can really get to you.They try to get extra income if you cant communicate they get paid extra if you cant eat so a very high percentage of patients get a feeding tube, you cant complain now. You might not be bathed, fed or weighed right in case your starving or getting expensive meds., no interaction,and on top of that get a towel up your butt so you don't soil the bed but once a night. then they steal from you. There are people that do just go to convalescent homes and go room to room looking for the prizes.

Zoey said:

I wrote a reply earlier but it went into cyberspace and disappeared. I wanted to be sure and reply to John. John, please get advice from an attorney. Laws are different in each state. Bruce and I are in Idaho and laws are quite different here and most of the laws are too complicated for regular people to understand. I was trying to get Medicaid for Bruce to pay for a nursing home. In order to do that we had to " spend down" our assets to a certain level. It was a long, painful experience. We also had to create a specific trust which is a law in this state. I won't go into the whole story.

John, it sounds like you are in good shape right now and hopefully you will never need a nursing home. Most do not understand ataxia at all and many are not very good. I could not get them to give Bruce the main treatment that he needed and that was physical therapy. If I was not around he was often ignored by the staff. I was there day and night and the staff was not up to par.. I waited too long to retain an attorney to be of much help so don't make the same mistake. Most insurance even Medicare do not pay a lot of nursing home expenses. Nursing homes here cost around $9,000 per month and that does not include medication.

Bruce had cerebellar ataxia and it progressed very quickly. Sometimes I even question the ataxia diagnosis. His respiratory system became seriously compromised and he passed away in July. He will always be my soulmate. Please anyone who reads this, don't be discouraged. This was a very different case and very fast. I believe with more physical therapy he wouldn't have gone downhill so quickly. We fell through the cracks of the US medical system. How I wish there was a way to get more money for research into this horrible disease. I wish we could do what millions did for ALS research.

Please everyone stay mentally strong and always demand therapy. I'm afraid you will also have to educate the medical people around you.

Sending love and hope to everyone. My husband was the bravest man I have ever known. God bless you all.

Zoe
thanks zoe