Osteopath

My gran went to an osteopath she was talking to him about my ataxia he said he could help. Has anyone been to an osteopath ? If so with what results?
Thanks Linda.

I grew up going to an osteopath and still prefer them. They are more holistic than your typical MD, but still have the medical degree. They can perform surgery etc. Real doctors, just more open to other options besides pills and surgery. Does that help?

especially a cranial osteopath has heped me a lot

Hi,

My Osteo has helped me enormously with cramping issues in legs, arms and back with massage and manipulation.

My Neurologist has advised me all fine with this and they can do what they like except do not do anything between the shoulders and base of neck. A major source of his business is when physio and osteo manipulations and "loosenings" have gone wrong in the neck area. People no longer walk!

Thank you, Eric! One of my 5 "minor strokes" resulted in Cervical Arthritis. I worked through it with weight training. The only permanent impairment was the inability to hold my head up. Scratch "osteo" off my list.

Eric said:

My Neurologist has advised me all fine with this and they can do what they like except do not do anything between the shoulders and base of neck. A major source of his business is when physio and osteo manipulations and "loosenings" have gone wrong in the neck area. People no longer walk!

I had treatment from an Osteopath after trapping a nerve in my neck.

The manipulation was gentle, involved some heat therapy and was

successful in restoring pain free movement.

On the other hand, I later saw a Cranial Osteopath to try and

alleviate symptoms of what turned out to be SCA. For me,

this had no beneficial effect, which was disappointing.

I regret having treatment from a Chiropractor. His approach

was far from gentle, and possibly made things worse. He

would insist on holding my head and twisting it around sharply

until he heard a click in my neck.

went several times to a cranial osteopath with good results. Is therre any body with ataxia in San Francisco or the bay area?

Thanks Julie, my. My Gran lives in the UK and i am in South Africa. I first have to find an osteopath in the Johannesburg area,then check out if they have a degree ect. Definitely sounds like something to look into.

Julie in Colorado said:

I grew up going to an osteopath and still prefer them. They are more holistic than your typical MD, but still have the medical degree. They can perform surgery etc. Real doctors, just more open to other options besides pills and surgery. Does that help?

Osteopaths are licenced physicians in the United States only and elsewhere they are not. Look under the cranial academy directory for a cranial osteopath who at least took the special proficiency in cranial osteopathy.