Other Ataxia symptoms

I’ve always wondered if some of my neurological symptoms were a result of my illness since I never had them before. I developed them after my Ataxia became apparent. That is dry skin especially on my face as if I have Rosacea. I’ve learned to keep my face moisturized to keep it in bay. Also, my lips are very dry and if I don’t use Chapstick often, they get chapped big time. Any of this sound familiar? :frowning_face:

I have such oily skin that I’d never notice if it were a little drier. I have noticed that my lips are chapped. I also have a slightly runny nose.

1 Like

Interested that you talk about a runny nose. I have the same issue but I never thought to associate with Ataxia. Now I know better.

1 Like

I can’t stand in the shower, so my personal hygiene has gone downhill. I often sponge bath when I can’t crawl into the tub. That being said, I started getting scabs on my scalp, neck, and even my eyebrows…psoriasis. Basically a form of dandruff. It usually lasts a few days after I moisturize. I had a dream last night that I could shower :slight_smile:

Can you use a shower chair?

I second the shower chair! They even have them now that are on rails, you sit on the chair outside the tub and then slide on the chair over the edge of the tub into the shower. To get back out you stay in the chair and slide it back over the edge of the tub. I think you definitely need a shower chair and get someone to put grabbers up for you. If you have insurance in America there should be home health care available to assist with things like that. Failing that, call Angels in America and see if they will have someone come help put grabbers up for not too much money.

A word to wise on chapstick, overuse will make your lips dependent on it. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/7-signs-your-lip-balm-use-is-just-a-bad-habit/ and here’s another link: http://stylecaster.com/beauty/lip-balm-ingredients-to-avoid/

azurelle

1 Like

Thanks for info. Yes, I have a rail, but I get frequent vertigo and tremors so I gave up standing. A chair that slides is a great idea, as tyrying to get out a chair in wet tub still poses danger. As for lips, I use Nivea, with butter shea. Agreed, chapstick is terrible.

Seenie here, azurelle’s team member on ModSupport. I thought I was losing it when I read the email preview of the post above. I had no recollection of writing it. Then I saw it wasn’t me, but azurelle who posted that. Yes, I second the shower chair too! I got one in a second hand store for cheap, and I LOVE mine! I feel like I’m at a spa, showering in comfort, taking my time, enjoying the water raining down on me. Seriously, my second hand shower bench is one of the best $25 investments ever! Mine is one that is half in, half out of the tub. I also use it to sit on while I dry off, sort the laundry hamper and brush my teeth. It’s a godsend.

Zillet, you mention psoriasis. Has that been diagnosed by a dermatologist? Whenever I hear of people who have psoriasis, I check to make sure that they know that they are at risk of getting Psoriatic Arthritis. This is a sneaky, hard-to-diagnose disease that’s often mild, but can also do a lot of joint damage pretty fast.

Seenie from ModSupport

Interesting. No, I haven’t been to a dermatologist, but will. I think its more Seborrheic dermatitis, but similar symptoms. yellow scabs on scalp, back neck, and eyebrows. I tend to get if I don’t wash my hair for a few days. i now use a medicated shampoo with tea tree oil that keeps it at bay. the worst is the eybrows…itches like hell to where I can’t sleep. If/when I get it again, I will get proper diagnosis. I’m getting tired of Dr appointments…grrrr

Strange, I never got a runny nose, but now wake up every morning with one. Just clear, not yellow, like a cold. This has been happening since ataxia progressed. Weird, like I have constant allegies. My gabapentin may have a role in it. The runny nose, is the least of my problems :slight_smile:

Yup, I know. We’ve all been there. But when you finally get a solid diagnosis, with appropriate treatment, doctor’s appointments become more of a maintenance routine, and less frequent.

It’s worth being pro-active, even if you don’t want to be.

Seenie

1 Like

Final word on shower chairs — Yes you can often find them cheap at second had stores. In American your major medical often covers them under durable medical equipment, sometimes at no cost with a prescription, sometimes at a minor copay (although Seenie’s $25 find is hard to beat!).

Trust me, once you get one you will never go without one again!

azurelle