Outside or inside?

Cross eyes, I did receive your e-mail and our symptoms seem similar. My cerebellar ataxia is from radiation levels given in the early 60’s and ataxia symptoms began about 40 years later. I am currently mostly housebound. The world is far more difficult to move about in.

Ataxia is so unique. I feel good and physical exam tests are good too. I just stay in. You can live a full life with ataxia, but it won’t be ’normal’, and falling wrong can end it all.
Despite the horrors of the global viral epidemic, new business models come fast and they make sense for stay-at-home ataxian’s. Meals, groceries, and items are delivered safely, doctors examine you I
online, and cars can drive you safely. I explore this new world daily. The people and animals I love are all here and this house has 4 levels to move about. Very slowly and safely. Why go out?

Exactly! Why go out? I’ve not been out much for 10 months and I’m perfectly happy and not looking forward to things as they were before.
I had 3 operations and radiation for a low-grade tumour in 1974-5. I had various difficulties but ataxia really set in about 25 years later with what I would call an ataxian stroke. And then again about 4 months ago - right in the middle of this virus thing. Which means I didn’t have to go to hospital for useless tests which would all be negative as they always have been. Another fortunate outcome is that I was tested at home for something relatively minor and have been given a CPAP machine which is making me sleep better than I have done for decades.

I wanted more outside world in my life and had 1.5 inch diameter copper pipes put in garden spots as handrails. They work great and look great. I did not want to deal with rust or rot so I used copper, but other cheaper materials would be just as effective. Consider bringing your outdoors ‘in’ with handrails that you can use to safely get.around, I’ll post photos of anyone requests them.

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: That’s a great idea using copper pipe in the garden, I can see how it would fit in and be an added feature as well as a safety aid.

Yes, let’s have an admiring look at your photos

Looking down on one garden bed where copper handrails allow me access. They get a greenish patina quickly, look outdoorsy, and I couldn’t maintain the garden without them. As my ataxia advances, and new trouble spots appear I put in more rails.

3 Likes

:+1::slightly_smiling_face: Very nicely done.
Our previous garden had a folly with irregular stone steps…but no handrail​:woozy_face: The type of handrail you suggest would probably have fitted in well when it had the greenish patina :slightly_smiling_face: We also had a Stone footbridge, I never felt confident using it because the sides were so low…but it was all very picturesque​:slightly_smiling_face: