Painful throbbing legs

Had painful throbbing legs for the couple of mouths now, the gp told be to rest up and keep of them for a while, so i've done that for the last 10 days, they've eased up a little, but again the throbbing woke me up about 3.30 and they ache on and off dueing the day. I went out yesterday and found i was quite unstaple on my feet(more than usual) and my left leg seems slower to move. Any help or advice what may help.

hi Jason - my GP has prescribed anti inflammatories for me for years now - I have tried stopping them on odd occasion but get throbbing muscles all over so keep taking them now so they are always in my blood stream.

I do rest in the afternoon with my legs up and just get as much done as possible [including wii fit exercises] in the morning.

My GP also prescribes omeprozele to protect the stomach from anti-inflammatory [Naproxen].

I also wear support socks - the best ones are for athletes and available on ebay.

Hope this helps.

Patsy

Hi Jason,

I exsperiance alot of that too with my legs! I get knots in them. I've been at my wits end. I normally don't like to take any meds and try everything natural first. I went to my Dr. @ the Movement (Ataxia) Clinic @ UCSF the other day and told her about it also! Her advise was to move them more and more each chance I get and take a muscle relaxer (Beclofen) to get me to move them more and more but only when I absolutly need them. She says she thinks I'll be using the meds less and less as I build up more and more strength in my legs. I also use Arnic Gel topocally. I rub it in a few times when my legs knot up and am now getting regular massages that help now. I get the massages deep, so it hurts at the time but feels better breaking that stuff up. The girl tells me they they need more oxygen, and massaging them wakes them up!

So it seems that I will be on this journey of pain challenges for a while, but I'm working at getting over the hump, and trust me I plan on it! :0)

Hope anything I'm doing gives you idea's of something you can do also. I couldn't do any of this without my Arnica Gel though! Trust me, I have a tube everywhere in the house available to use when ever I can anymore! It helps take the edge off for me.

I forgot to mention that I make sure to give = time to sitting relaxing them and moving them little bits at a time so I can work up more. I also have a banana in the mornings. I can tell when I don't it's werid I guess I'm learning to listen more and more to my body and what it needs. Let me tell ya since my legs have been screaming at me I guess they have been telling me to do something about them. I guess I've neglected them and haven't really been Greateful for them like I should be. :0) Another new chapter to just keep me hoping! :0)

Jeannie Ball said:

Hi Jason,

I exsperiance alot of that too with my legs! I get knots in them. I've been at my wits end. I normally don't like to take any meds and try everything natural first. I went to my Dr. @ the Movement (Ataxia) Clinic @ UCSF the other day and told her about it also! Her advise was to move them more and more each chance I get and take a muscle relaxer (Beclofen) to get me to move them more and more but only when I absolutly need them. She says she thinks I'll be using the meds less and less as I build up more and more strength in my legs. I also use Arnic Gel topocally. I rub it in a few times when my legs knot up and am now getting regular massages that help now. I get the massages deep, so it hurts at the time but feels better breaking that stuff up. The girl tells me they they need more oxygen, and massaging them wakes them up!

So it seems that I will be on this journey of pain challenges for a while, but I'm working at getting over the hump, and trust me I plan on it! :0)

Hope anything I'm doing gives you idea's of something you can do also. I couldn't do any of this without my Arnica Gel though! Trust me, I have a tube everywhere in the house available to use when ever I can anymore! It helps take the edge off for me.

HI

i DONT KNOW IF THIS HELPS. iT MAY NOT BUT MAY BE SOMETHING to consider (sorri about the caps!). My legs are dreadful at times and quite a while back I emailed Ataxia UK and was told that this is not the norm (quite a while back so things will have improved). Physios can be not encouraging unless you get one who has recently trained on Parkinsons and Ataxia. At the moment he is concentrating on improving the strength in my right leg (the way I lurch and fall) by giving me a series of pelvic exercises. I think our legs hurt becos the other leg is as it were taking the strain. What do you think? I'd also be interested in Kati's input

love and light

S-J

I don't walk much these days but the throbbing legs can also be from circulation problems or varicose veins.

I use to get very stiff painful calves (and lower back) and occasionally get times they don' t seem to stop twitching/kicking or tensing and relaxing. I have a shiatsu massager which looks like a pair of rotating boobs on a plate, but great for back, and under calves. I also use a special TENS machine which does a deep muscle massage.

I got one of those circulation booster things off TV too. I used to get a swelling on side of left leg (thigh) every time I used passive trainer pedals and I don't get it anymore after using massage and circulation booster on legs.

Kati, where do you store all your 'aids' - do you have a very large cupboard lol ;)

Patsy

lol! those aids are not that big, except for circulation booster which is down the side of the sofa next to the passive trainer pedals!. All my furniture is around the edges here so can get powerchair into and around each room.

My second bedroom/office is more like a storage room at the minute with my desks piled high and just enough room to get to my iMac.. lol!.. art desk is piled high with junk so can't actually use it for doing any art!.. the shed is filled to the roof!.. with old chairs, rollators, Inca's paddling pool, old chest of drawers etc.. lol! .. I could do with more storage!

Only reason I got plenty of floor space is cos of needing to get the chair around otherwise it would probably end up like the guy of the telly (extreme hoader) .. lol!

lol oh Kati - you make me laugh - I so admire your determination to keep going and retaining your independence - maybe you do need another shed or... just a clear out of all the things you dont use eh? I am sure a charity would help you.

You take care, Patsy x