Pins and needles

I have lived with ataxia for 11 years and in the last 2 years have increasingly been getting pins and needles in my arms and legs regularly sometimes multiple times a day. Is this something others are dealing with?
Thanks

Hello Chuckles.............yes I do get the same only in my legs and feet. The weird thing about this is that both my feet and legs have no feeling up to my knees. But yet the sharp needle jabs make me jump from the quick pain. I do not take anything for this as I don't want to start any kind of medications unless it really takes over badly. Are you able to deal with it so far? I guess we get no say so in the matter. But I do feel it is so irritating when I am trying to sleep exspecially.

1 Like

Oh wow Vickie that’s horrible, mine isn’t to the point of sharp pain, it’s just like my limb isnt getting circulation as it should even when there isnt a cause eg crossing legs. Its more frustrating at this point especially when trying to sleep.

Hi Chuckles,

I'm new to this site, but I wanted to let you know that there are meds for pins and needles (neuropathy):

Neurontin (gabapentin), Cymbalta, Lyrica, other anti-seizure drugs, and

various tricyclic anti-depressants.

I found this info on the National Ataxia Foundation website.

I have tried neurontin and lyrica and also ambien and for me these were bad drugs they messed with the brain and I just use cannabis edibles now. Jerry

Ambien!!! This drug would scare me badly. Let me tell you something that went wrong for two friends who took Ambien. The first friend ended up in her sister and brother in laws bedroom naked. She was not aware of what was going on. She of course was so very embarrassed. My second friend was trying to figure out why there were candy wrappers by her bed almost every morning. Her husband said the candy bowl on the table was the same kind as what was on the floor in their room. She could not understand why she was putting
on weight. Here she was eating candy like crazy and again unaware of what she was doing. Now this was two different people with different happenings. I hope to hear no one ask me to go on Ambien!!

hi Chuckles and Vickie,

Pins and needles might be a sign of vitamin B12 deficiency.
Please get your B12 level checked if possible.