Quivering feet and toes

My old pair of Sketchers are flat and so comfortable, but after 3yrs they're looking a bit too worn, that was why

I thought of replacing them. I'm surprised at how much difference something like half an inch extra height

to the heel area, can cause so much foot pain. Obviously it forces weight on the wrong joints.

I really can't remember when I last bought a pretty pair of heeled shoes. Here in the UK it isn't too difficult

to shop for pretty flat shoes, even if you need wide ones, which I do. But in the US I found it impossible, I did

see people who obviously had wide feet but they all seemed to be wearing sandals.

I was once lucky to find a nice chunky pair of flat boots in TKMaxx, I think they were a German brand.

I have just been to the podiatrist this morning. I have a horrid verrucca on one foot and a pressure point on the other.

Those with Ataxia and push a walker about will understand the reluctance to move our feet. With me it is a balance thing and I shuffle so as not to fall over. The podiatrist says its probably the way I walk or lean.

Help! I can't walk, I can't touch my feet to file them as I cannot bend even on the edge of the bed without falling.I feel a wreckAnyone know of a flat comfortable summer shoe that is Ataxiaish friendly.

Needs to be flat, comfortable and provide support according to the podiatrist.It is alright saying look after your feet and the dental hygienist telling us to look after your gums but they don't seem to appreciate how difficult this is now.The spirit is still willing but the flesh is getting weaker.We wobble whatever we try to do.Not easy to look after your bodies now.

Does anyone else have problems with looking after your body with Ataxia? I am fed up with looking a frump with flat shoes,vast easy to pull up trousers and a beard!!

Hi Marie!

I'm fed up like you describe but 'beard' has me stumped!

Have you ever looked at Hotter Shoes? You can order and return online. I need wide width shoes

and have had several pairs from them. I've seen a Podiatrist for the pain I've described, he gave

me insoles, angled to force my weight in the right direction. Sometimes I'm in danger of hacking

off one of my toes, Nystagmus and tremor playing havoc when I try to cut my toe nails. Isn't it a

glamorous life we lead!

Marie Turner said:

I have just been to the podiatrist this morning. I have a horrid verrucca on one foot and a pressure point on the other.

Those with Ataxia and push a walker about will understand the reluctance to move our feet. With me it is a balance thing and I shuffle so as not to fall over. The podiatrist says its probably the way I walk or lean.

Help! I can't walk, I can't touch my feet to file them as I cannot bend even on the edge of the bed without falling.I feel a wreckAnyone know of a flat comfortable summer shoe that is Ataxiaish friendly.

Needs to be flat, comfortable and provide support according to the podiatrist.It is alright saying look after your feet and the dental hygienist telling us to look after your gums but they don't seem to appreciate how difficult this is now.The spirit is still willing but the flesh is getting weaker.We wobble whatever we try to do.Not easy to look after your bodies now.

Does anyone else have problems with looking after your body with Ataxia? I am fed up with looking a frump with flat shoes,vast easy to pull up trousers and a beard!!

Yea mine are about 3 years old. LOL dont want to replace them. I cant even were flip flops.

Beryl Park said:

My old pair of Sketchers are flat and so comfortable, but after 3yrs they're looking a bit too worn, that was why

I thought of replacing them. I'm surprised at how much difference something like half an inch extra height

to the heel area, can cause so much foot pain. Obviously it forces weight on the wrong joints.

I really can't remember when I last bought a pretty pair of heeled shoes. Here in the UK it isn't too difficult

to shop for pretty flat shoes, even if you need wide ones, which I do. But in the US I found it impossible, I did

see people who obviously had wide feet but they all seemed to be wearing sandals.

I was once lucky to find a nice chunky pair of flat boots in TKMaxx, I think they were a German brand.

Marie I have tried everything. I have about 15 pairs of sandles. You have to buy what is easiest to walk in for you. I found nothing. But I have a lot of shoes. LOL

Marie Turner said:

I never could walk in flipflops. Mmm, I still wear my old Sketchers, I hate breaking in new shoes!

Lori said:

Yea mine are about 3 years old. LOL dont want to replace them. I cant even were flip flops.

Beryl Park said:

Same here.

Beryl Park said:

I never could walk in flipflops. Mmm, I still wear my old Sketchers, I hate breaking in new shoes!

Lori said:

Beryl Park said:

I, too, can wear only flats.

I’ll tell you what: even though I’ve overcome many difficult things, giving away my shoes that I could no longer wear was among the most difficult. It sounds silly, but they were my very cool shoes!

Lori said:

I can only wear flat shoes. I thought bare foot was the way to go. But I found it was no better. I can only wear certain kinds of shoes. And they bare flat. I cant even where a flat boot. Shoes are really hard to find, with my walking. It seems right now Sketchers do have the best.

Hi Beryl

Older ladies may have trouble with whiskers on the chin.I stab away with the tweezers only to find I have pulled off a piece of skin.My hands quiver as soon as I get near my goal.

To get back to the shoes I got a pair of hotter boots to replace my old ones.I have worn them every day.

At the same time I got a pair of shoes but they were uncomfortable so I didn't wear them.They felt ok in the shop.

I will look again at their summer range.

Marie

I know. I use to wear high heels. I had to get rid of them because it was taking up my whole bottom of the closet. I hated to. But I had to make room for all the shoes I buy now and can not wear. Ha, Ha.

Glitter on Butterflies said:

I, too, can wear only flats.

I'll tell you what: even though I've overcome many difficult things, giving away my shoes that I could no longer wear was among the most difficult. It sounds silly, but they were my very cool shoes!

Lori said:

I can only wear flat shoes. I thought bare foot was the way to go. But I found it was no better. I can only wear certain kinds of shoes. And they bare flat. I cant even where a flat boot. Shoes are really hard to find, with my walking. It seems right now Sketchers do have the best.

Marie,

I once had laser treatment for my 'problem area'. Now, the area stays white if my face tans, ugh!

Men have it so easy! I still have to have the tweezers to hand, tremor permitting of course. I

bought a pair of Hotter shoes at TKMaxx thinking I had got a bargain, they were killing my feet in

no time. Sometimes the range can look really frumpy, but comfort rules.

Glitter and Lori,

I have a pair of boots bought around 1972, they are virtually unworn. But I can't bear to part with them!

LOL Beryl. I know the feeling. How sad it is. But shoes make a women look good. You know what I mean.

Lori,

Our daughter, who recently got married, has more shoes than she can ever wear, and they are still here with

us because she now lives in a small apartment. How she walks in some of them I'll never know! I know

some were bought just because they were pretty, and she couldn't resist them, they've never been worn!

She was supposed to be selling some of them, as well as clothes, on ebay. I can't see it happening, she

hasn't got time to turn around!

We have plans to move house in the future, what'll happen to all this stuff then? It won't be coming with us!

I've watch programmes about hoarders', I think we fall into that catagory.

Well at least you have something pretty to look at. Ha, Ha. I live with a hoarder of papers and boxes. Not pretty. LOL. Well you have to do what you have to. Thats the joy of being a Mom. LOL

I have to have a banana each morning which seems to help. I also have Nutritional Yeast on my Gluten free cereal. I would investigate more either researching on the web (I find webmd good or consumer pharmacy) or ask for a referal to a nutritionist to get you started. I suggest going one time to a naturalpath to see what elce you can do.

I believe in exersize, focused movements help. I've seen working with Dr. Clouse that my partner that has SCA# also had this but it has stoped because of focused movements. She spurs me on and reminds me "When you don't feel like moving that's when your body need to move more. It just a habbit." Little by little I really think you can retain your brain.

Hi Jeannie!

I think the theory 'move when you don't feel like it' probably is right. Not moving has become

too much of a habit with me, I'm on a steep slippery slope that I need to get off! Increased

weight is finally going to motivate me!