Sleep

Does anyone else over sleep? I don’t know if the ataxia I have (sca 10), has to do with it. I go to bed @ 11pm, & get up @ 10am. Today I woke up @ 10:30am. It happens to me a lot. Do u think it’s the ataxia or am I just lazy??? :stuck_out_tongue:

Not an issue for me - I usually go to bed around 10pm and get up before 5 to get ready for work. On the weekends I usually get up around 7 or 8.

I have been needing much more sleep since I got this. I go to bed just after midnight and don' get up until around 9:30.

Hello Heidy

No..NOT lazy. Same story here..I can sleep 12 sometimes 14 hours in a row. Apparently the body needs this. And when getting up, washed and dressed, downstairs..exhausted already by this small effort. Then a pot of green tea and after about an hour I am my own self again:) We are doubly energy drained: by the body and by the brain at the SAME time. Every step we take, we have to think about how. Nothing automatically anymore. SO it is exhausting. Take care, hugs from Holland, Elle.

I'm in bed around 10pm most nights and up around 6.30 the following morning, but it's getting harder and harder to do. I really struggle to get up in the mornings and when I feel an attack coming on, during or for a few weeks after its hell to get up before around 9/10am.

Then after a shower etc I feel completly wasted and need to rest up again.

So no your not lazy or if you are then so are all of us x

Heidy,

Elle Strik said it perfectly. You definitely are not lazy. I sleep ten, 11 hours a night, and several hours later I could take another nap. It takes a lot of energy to do a chore, go for a walk, etc.

My suggestion is to be patient with yourself. Good luck to you.

I personally have trouble sleeping at night usually getting around 4-5 hrs. This said I float around most of the day and I don't know how much is down to the ataxia or lack of sleep. I've also taken to napping even falling asleep in lectures (boring lectures though lol). I don't think you can put it down to laziness. I think I've been getting up early for so long that it's inbred in me now to get up early, but I don't think that I would if I didn't have to walk my dogs early, I probably wouldn't rush to get up either.

I sleep very little at night, even on all the meds that should knock me out…ambien, zanaflex, baclofen, Valium(3-4 hours at best), than after my morning dose of zanaflex I am out like a light until 10 or 11am…i don’t get it.

Hello!

Your not alone. I sleep between 10-12 hours a day. I often find a nap is needed during the day as well.

I believe it has to do with the fact that my muscles (especially my legs) are constantly contracted throughout my day.

I believe this consumes a lot of energy. I too considered myself as lazy, until I realized that I wouldn't be berating myself if I was truly lazy. Exercise helps-stationary bike for 20 minutes(and I mean hard!). There is a drug out there for MS patients which is a stimulant, that helps my co-worker get through the day. Without it, she has a hard time getting through 8 hours. Hope this helps

Bob

Definatley not lazy I can sleep up to 14 hours a day on occasions sometimes more also get very tired after the slightest efforts.I've started problems with high calcium in my blood which has only developed in the past four months which means in and out of hospital to be re-hydrated anyone with similar problems??

I also have type 6 and if I don't have a nap in the afternoon, I am dropping asleep about 7 o' clock

I, USUALLY, drop off very quickly but, wake very early, still very restless and lifeless. Am in wheelchair so, luckily, am not using energy all the time.

Hey Elle

I am in Jerusalem just 4 hours away. I agree with you.

Elle Strik said:

Hello Heidy

No..NOT lazy. Same story here..I can sleep 12 sometimes 14 hours in a row. Apparently the body needs this. And when getting up, washed and dressed, downstairs..exhausted already by this small effort. Then a pot of green tea and after about an hour I am my own self again:) We are doubly energy drained: by the body and by the brain at the SAME time. Every step we take, we have to think about how. Nothing automatically anymore. SO it is exhausting. Take care, hugs from Holland, Elle.

This makes sense to me & explains a lot. i find myself getting worse in the gait & speech departments as the day progresses. I workout as often as possible. If I don't shower before my workout, I am often too tired to do it afterword. I usually have to nap after the workout. it is definitely more wearing on the body than many others find it to be.

bobzona said:

Hello!

Your not alone. I sleep between 10-12 hours a day. I often find a nap is needed during the day as well.

I believe it has to do with the fact that my muscles (especially my legs) are constantly contracted throughout my day.

I believe this consumes a lot of energy. I too considered myself as lazy, until I realized that I wouldn't be berating myself if I was truly lazy. Exercise helps-stationary bike for 20 minutes(and I mean hard!). There is a drug out there for MS patients which is a stimulant, that helps my co-worker get through the day. Without it, she has a hard time getting through 8 hours. Hope this helps

Bob

Hello there Neta

Only 4 hours away you say, yes..but the mind travels even faster..I was with you right there when I read your comment:):)

neta said:

Hey Elle

I am in Jerusalem just 4 hours away. I agree with you.

Elle Strik said:

Hello Heidy

Hi have Episodic Ataxia type 2, so when I get an attack it means, my muscle contract and spasm and become so weak I struggle to stand up. This is also quite painful as it aches alot, I also find my right arm becomes very weak and I struggle to use it.

The other symptoms that go along with all this are to many to mention but heres a few, vertigo, migraines, brain fuzz.

Deb

heidy said:

What kind of attack r u talking about? & thanx for the support! :-)

Debra White said:

I'm in bed around 10pm most nights and up around 6.30 the following morning, but it's getting harder and harder to do. I really struggle to get up in the mornings and when I feel an attack coming on, during or for a few weeks after its hell to get up before around 9/10am.

Then after a shower etc I feel completly wasted and need to rest up again.

So no your not lazy or if you are then so are all of us x

Hi Heidy

I aleep 10 to 12 hours and nap for 3 or more if i am not well or have had a bad day previously.

Hi Dizzy

I drink loads of water but am often thirst so I could have something off balance too. glad you mentioned it i will ask about it Bob (uk)

Thanks Bob if you do manage to get anything let me know,I'm UK based as well

Bob bird said:

Hi Heidy

I aleep 10 to 12 hours and nap for 3 or more if i am not well or have had a bad day previously.

Hi Dizzy

I drink loads of water but am often thirst so I could have something off balance too. glad you mentioned it i will ask about it Bob (uk)

Hi I have so much trouble sleeping. I fall right to sleep from total exhaustion when I get to bed, Three hours later I am up because my bladder can no longer go longer than that. When I go back to bed the muscle twitching starts, and I can’t fall back to sleep. Then my brain just won’t shut off can’t stop thinking and I’m up… Then feel exhausted all day and the cycle continues…need to be able to take a nap when I’m tired but I am still working and can’t.
My Dad also has SCA3 and is sleeping about 10 hours then a 2 hour nap during the day.
Heidy if we were lazy there’s no way we could get through living one typical day with Ataxia. Hang in there and sleep when you need it for as long as you need it. Sleep gives your muscles a chance to recover and face the battle again.

I sleep all the time…deep sleep! My naps are usually 2-3 hours! I feel lazy too, but I wasn’t like this until my ataxia diagnosis.