Stair lift reviews

Hello friends,

Has anyone here purchased a chair lift to avoid the house stairs? I'm pretty much crawling up the stairs now, holding on to the rail with both hands and pulling myself up each stair slowly. Coming down is more complicated as my legs shake and I have to be sure my heal is touching the back of the stair before sliding the foot down on the stair as I hold the rail with both hands. I do all this very slowly and am out of breath after.

A month ago, I slipped and fell down the carpeted stairs, landed head first on the hard tile. I was unconsious to the point of losing my bladder contents. I had a nasty concussion and egg sized bump on my head, but thank goodness, there was no bleeding on the inside of my brain. I'm still getting headaches and the pulled muscles in my neck are getting better each day. My Nero told us to get a stair lift or make a bedroom for me downstairs until we get a one story home. We can't make a bedroom downstairs, so we need to look into types of stair lifts, quality and prices. I will be greatful to hear any reviews on any types of chair lifts!

Thank you!

Robin

Hi Robin

I too have trouble going up and down stairs but I am nowhere near a stair chair. I believe going upstairs are easier because what you're looking at this stairs they are in front of you and when you go down the stairs you need to look down and is changes your field of vision and I believe this stairs look father away in your brain has to think more of what do. My wife is a physical therapist and it one time she told me to try walking backwards down the stairs to see if this helps, I also have hand railings on each side of my staircases.

Jack

Jack, I just tried walking down the stairs backwards. I think it helps. I had more footing. Thanks to your wife!

Don't do steps of anykind now but 2 years ago I did so I can identify.Very wobbly in all door frames.Moved 2 years ago to a bungalow as couldn't do steps anymore.Very difficult to explain to a non ataxic why it is easier to go up than down.Slopes of any kind phase me.Good exercise for you!! Went on a stair lift round a corner at the dentists.Also went on one several times at the gym.Try one out first.They are expensive but probably cheaper than selling your house if you don't want to move.

I have to heave myself up rails and ramps now.Slow but not in a wheelchair yet.Using up residual strength first.

Good luck with your researcch on stair lifts.Somebody will probably know on this site

I think it's all vision related when you go up the stairs closer and when you look down they seem farther away by walking backwards they seem closer

Lori said:

Jack, I just tried walking down the stairs backwards. I think it helps. I had more footing. Thanks to your wife!

hi robin my name is gordon, i to fell down the stairs about 4 weeks ago i landed on my side

and only ended up with severe bruiseing my gp said i was lucky.

what i have learned is that on good days,

dont let your guard down as that is when your are most at risk of falls.

try stepping down with your feet sideways on each step( one foot at a time of course ) It helps me.

Thank you everyone with the good advice! I'm going to experiment when I get out of this bed this evening to be with my family. That way my husband can be there as a back up, I sure don't want to go through a fall and hospital visit, and recouping again.

Everyone take care,

Robin

Hi Robin, I think a stair lift is a wonderful idea, especially if you’ve fallen down the stairs! Better safe than sorry! I agree with Marie, as buying a stair lift would cost less than moving to a different home. I’m not to the point of needing a stair lift yet, but am extra, extra careful going downstairs. I have to hold the hand rail and place my feet just so. Sometimes my heel doesn’t clear the stair. I also have to hold the hand rail going up, although it’s a bit easier for me, as others have said. I’m definitely going to try suggestions…,thanks to all! (I have fallen, but not when going up or down stairs). I do exercises for strength and balance, as I want to keep my muscles as strong as I can, and improve my balance, if possible. ;o)

Hi Robin,

My fiance and I have discussed the chair lift option. We started looking at a medical supply store; they had a "sample" lift. The more we read, believe it or not, the more we decided against it and are actually remodeling the lower level of our house and converting our garage to an apartment for us. We are adding on a new garage. All this is actually less expensive than selling and moving. We are fortunate to have the land (a few acres) to do the renovation. Don has fallen several times now - and I/we don't want him walking stairs as a main location source. He much prefers to walk up stairs than down. And he hates our sloping driveway. Those slopes are a killer with people who have vertigo and mobility issues.

Stay safe and good luck.

Julie aka Sparkles

Hello Jack,

Before I could even attempt going down the stairs backwards, my husband reminded me that I can't walk on steady ground backwards! I gave it a quick try anyway, he is right! I have to see where my feet are going, or I can't walk at all! :)

Using the stairs at home I have to look down for my foot placement, both up and down. Thanks for the advice regardless!

Take care,

Robin

Jack said:

I think it's all vision related when you go up the stairs closer and when you look down they seem farther away by walking backwards they seem closer

Lori said:

I know we are supposed to keep our heads but I also find myself looking at my feeet.I think I am worried about falling so look where I am putting my feet in case something trips me up.Also I shuffle along for the same reason.I stiffen up out of fear.I like to keep both feet on the ground.I certainly can't walk backwards now.That is now why I do not drive-I had too open the boot or back door lo get my boots on and let the dog out of the back. That is using the rollator as well.The whole lot goes flying and me underneath.

I also look down at my feet a lot, as I need to know where I'm placing them. I'm always concerned about falling. I think my muscles stiffen up automatically due to ataxia. I find that if I'm sitting for a while (like in a restaurant), when I stand up, my muscles are very stiff. I have to stand for a minute before I walk (with my cane), and allow them a bit of time to loosen up. My hands etc. stiffen when I'm not using them. It takes much more pressure to do things with my hands, like writing/printing, carrying something, using utensils to eat etc. My neurologist prescribed the medicine Baclofen for stiffness, although I haven't tried taking it yet. Apparently it has a side effect of tiredness. I'm always fighting that as it is, and don't want to add insult to injury...,ha! ;o)

Hi Rose, The same thing happens to me. And I enjoy going out to eat. And of course we have to use the bathroom when were there. When I had to go to court for my son. I was worried about my stiffness and walking. So my doctor had me try Baclofen. (?) She told me to test it. Meaning a half a pill, or more. For me it didn't help for what I needed it for. Thats just what happened with me. As far as the tiredness. Couldnt tell you if it was the pills or just me. lol

rose said:

I also look down at my feet a lot, as I need to know where I'm placing them. I'm always concerned about falling. I think my muscles stiffen up automatically due to ataxia. I find that if I'm sitting for a while (like in a restaurant), when I stand up, my muscles are very stiff. I have to stand for a minute before I walk (with my cane), and allow them a bit of time to loosen up. My hands etc. stiffen when I'm not using them. It takes much more pressure to do things with my hands, like writing/printing, carrying something, using utensils to eat etc. My neurologist prescribed the medicine Baclofen for stiffness, although I haven't tried taking it yet. Apparently it has a side effect of tiredness. I'm always fighting that as it is, and don't want to add insult to injury...,ha! ;o)

Hi Lori, Thanks for letting me know about your experience with Baclofen. I'm still on the fence about trying it, as my neurologist said it doesn't help everyone with ataxia. Plus, I don't like taking drugs, and as I mentioned before I'm concerned about the tiredness side effect. You mentioned getting up in a restaurant to use the restroom. I hear you, because I don't like to do the either as it takes so much effort..,ha! Once I'm seated, I prefer to stay that way until I'm ready to leave! Oh well, must be an ataxia thing....;o)