Surgery

So I had arthroscopic surgery on my injured knee. Do you know anything about the differences in healing between somebody with ataxia, and somebody without.

Also, I have been falling and losing my balance more, could my proprioception be affected?

Thanks for any information about this.

Surgeries, dental work can put me down for months.

I was under the impression that we (ataxian's) just take longer to recover than we used to, at least that seems that way. I haven't read anything that was documented on it though that's just my opinion from all the information I've gathered from ataxian's.

I also heard from a Dr to expect that the affects of any anesthesia and trauma to take a while to get out of our system. 6 months to a year depending on what is done with foods, supplements exercises etc to detox the body and recover. So that can help hinder us more for a while with our fatigue, balance etc.

My advise is to just be gentle with yourself and do what you can in your power to detox to help it get out of your system a little faster, but ride it out at the same time. Knowing that I'm doing what I can helps the process always seems to help me.

Good luck! :0)

Just had surgery 3 weeks ago to change my implanted defibrillator. This is my fifth one, but first one since the sudden onset of ataxia after a stroke, and I must say, I did not feel any worst than with the previous four surgeries. Of course, it could be different with genetic ataxia. I do not know. However, my neurologist warned me a while back that any illness can take longer and be harder to recuperate from when you have ataxia.
Just my experience. Hope you heal fast, Bella!

Thanks!

Cicina said:

Just had surgery 3 weeks ago to change my implanted defibrillator. This is my fifth one, but first one since the sudden onset of ataxia after a stroke, and I must say, I did not feel any worst than with the previous four surgeries. Of course, it could be different with genetic ataxia. I do not know. However, my neurologist warned me a while back that any illness can take longer and be harder to recuperate from when you have ataxia.
Just my experience. Hope you heal fast, Bella!

I had surgery last year (NOT knee surgery) and agree with Jeannie. The anesthesia takes 6 months to a year to get out of one's system. So on top of ataxia fatigue, I also experienced healing fatigue, as well as anesthesia fatigue. I was diagnosed with ataxia 10 1/2 years ago. Over time, my ataxia has progressed to where my balance became more compromised, and I fell more often. I don't know if my progression has anything to do with proprioception. I started using a cane three years ago to give me more stability, and prevent falls when I leave my home. I hope you have a speedy recovery! My best to you..., ;o)